Evolutionary Transitions

By the same reasoning, the theories involved with celestial mechanics deny it.

3 Likes

Um, what is this forum for? ; - )

2 Likes

A specific example of a transition I am familiar with: the Yorktown Formation ~4.5-3.2 MYA Melanella laevigata, based on the photograph in Campbell, 1993, has 11-13 teleoconch whorls when the shell is 10 mm long, and has a very weak suture. The similar recent species M. jamaicensis has 8-9 teleoconch whorls at that size and has a somewhat stronger suture. Three specimens that I have from the 2.4 MYA Waccamaw Formation have 9-11 whorls at that size and an intermediate-strength (still weak) suture.

1 Like

This forum is not a private soapbox. If you assert claims which are not valid or sound, expect to be challenged on them.

4 Likes

Whoosh, over our heads. ; - )

Melanella laevigata

Melanella jamaicensis

That sounds a bit like…

If God cannot give me a million dollars right now when I ask him to, then Christianity is a lie.

People say such completely insane and unreasonable things like this only when they have decided they are not going to believe no matter what… like the phrase “when hell freezes over,” something so unlikely they know it will never happen. They are not going to listen…

For this people’s heart has grown dull,

• and their ears are heavy of hearing,*
  • and their eyes they have closed,*
    lest they should perceive with their eyes,
  • and hear with their ears,*
    and understand with their heart,

You can challenge me as much as you like. But, in theory, Dale is on my side. (I think)

Richard

Not sure you got the right drift here. There is no clause in my statement, nor bargain, just the suggestion of a critical flaw in TOE.
You are right, of course. my mind is made up. I know God exists, so I will not agree with any theory that dismisses Him or relegates Him to the sidelines.

Richard

I’ve provided evidence for you for feathers in avian dinosaurs. . Did you bother to watch the videos? If you did, please tell us what specifically you object to.

What about plate tectonic theory and gravitational theory? They have an enormous effect on our lives, and God is never mentioned when they are discussed! Does God push continents around or exert force to keep us earth bound?

1 Like

So the Theory of Evolution is not the same as Evolutionary Theory? Please explain.

2 Likes

He attempts to, above.

By that argument you would have to reject medicine, electronics, and every theory of science because God has no part in ANY of them.

Just because God exists doesn’t mean He has to be part of whatever you say in whatever way you care to dictate.

I know that I could never believe in Christianity without evolution. You seem to be saying you will not believe God is real if you accept the theory of evolution. But then doesn’t that mean you are saying you will not believe in God UNLESS God can be your explanation of the species? How is that so different than demanding that God give you a million dollars? Why does God have to do what you say in the way you say it is to be done in order for you to believe in Him? When I imagine Job saying something like that in His conversation with God… I don’t see that going very well for him.

And how do these impinge on God?

Richard

“Sigh”!
As above! How do these things impinge on the existence of God?

Such questions demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the actual issue involved.

Have my criticisms ever been from a Christian or God perspective?

Richard

No more or less than evolution. Surely the existence of God is not threatened by the development of feathers.

4 Likes

I’m intrigued as to what ‘experience’ can outweigh understanding a work like Nick Lane’s The Vital Question?

I disagree. Unless you think that God is the instigator of the transformations (not part of TOE). The whole point of TOE is that it is mindless and chaotic. There is no room for God, no need for Him. Nature can develop itself.
Whether I believe the precise details of Genesis 1 or not, I still believe that God created me. Created, not fluked. Now if TOE could prove otherwise, I would have to rethink carefully my relationship with God. However, TOE has flaws in it that its proponents refuse to acknowledge or address. I do not argue with theology, I argue with science.
Science is just the hand of God in ways we can see and, in theory, understand. Paul, in Romans, claims that we can see God in His creation. It appears that TOE disagrees with Him. I do not.
I believe the bible in the manner, I believe, is correct. I am less worried about details ;more concerned with the global message. Genesis 1 declares God to be sovereign of His creation. TOE claims that creation is self-built and self-sustained. TOE relies on chaos, time, and chance. As such it is to be challenged at every step. (IMHO)
Remember, I accept that there is an evolutionary process. I just dispute that this process is sufficient to create me. (vanity, vanity, all is vanity)

Richard

You are dancing around and moving the goalposts. I was responding to this comment of yours:

so I will not agree with any theory that dismisses Him or relegates Him to the sidelines.

1 Like

The Bible tells us that God controls every process that was known at the time such as weather for example or throwing dice. It is also silent on things that were not known at the time such as the source of light coming from the sun. Would you agree?

Now science has explained weather, dice, and nuclear fusion. Does this mean there is no room for God?

So yes the TOE does not include any involvement of God as stated by science but does that mean God really isn’t involved? Again, the Bible says God is.

You really can have your cake and eat it too. The science says No God, but the Bible says God. The whole point of EC is we believe God is in control of a process that science says God is not. This is why people keep bringing up things, like the weather or plate tectonics, that you don’t think apply.

Edit to add:
You description of the evolutionary process contains some common misunderstandings of how the process works. If you would like a better understanding just ask.

3 Likes