Evolutionary Creationists should distance themselves more clearly from deism

Hi Christy,

The statement is totally explicable in the verses in Gen1 that follow that statement. Without imputing anything to you and Brad, my take on these posts is that you both may mean totally explicable scientifically - IF this is what is meant, I go back to my original comment to Jon - IF however you mean a theological exposition of a transcendent and eternal God, I repeat - this requires a great deal of theological discussion that deals little with scientific statements.

My comments deal with some issues that arise from naïve discussions of theism and deism.

Joshua - for the reasons you state (and others) theistic evolution was in decline for much of the 20th century, I think - maybe it was partly the polarisation between liberal=evolution OR fundamentalist=special creation.

But here in Britain there was a strand of conservative theology - which essentially preserved and re-invigorated the whole Evangelical movement here - which held to a strongly supernaturalist orthodoxy but saw no problem with evolution in principle.

Notable was Derek Kidner, my neighbour in Cambridge, whose 1960s Genesis commentary was the first serious Christian book I bought, and which was probably the “standard text” on Genesis for Evangelical undergrads. But you could also include John Stott, Jim Packer and the thinking young Christian’s guru, Os Guiness. Destic ideas of any sort - or denial of miracles or the resuurection - would never get a look in with those guys.

I can vouche for a respectful dialogue between two evangelical science students in the University’s Christian mag, c1972, one of whom saw Scripture as quite compatible with evolution, and the other of whom couldn’t get round the Genesis text (not having the benefit of John Walton etc).

One factor in the different “flavour” of the new manifestion of US theistic evolution may be the “divine action” project in academia, which was strongly influenced by naturalistic ideas such as theology as being subsidiary to the findings of physics->biology; by pantheism that cast nature in terms of autonomous action, and other such things.

1 Like

I remind the readers that any enthusiastic Christian has no fear of being confused with believers of a God with “Deistic Aloofness”!

A) A Deistic God does not talk to His followers.
B) A Deistic God would not perform the miracles in the Old Testament after Adam & Eve.
C) A Deistic God would not continue to perform miracles in the lives of modern believers.

4 Likes

@Eddie

Please let me know where you find the word “Darwinian” or “Darwin” in the BioLogos mission statements.

Eddie, don’t you think you should help explain to YECs that if God is involved in Evolution, it could certainly include the idea that Evolution is no longer random… depending on a person’s understanding of God’s revelation.

2 Likes

1,825 words. Wow, brother! :slight_smile: :astonished: :books: :popcorn:

2 Likes

Always well-ordered and carefully-thought-out, brother. I could never fault you on either of those fronts.

True confessions: I didn’t actually read it. I just copy-pasted it into MS Word to see how many words it was! So you didn’t please those of the “I just looked at that massive block of text and laughed as my eyes glazed over” attention span. :slight_smile:

But as I look at the pre-excursus bit, one thought: I’m not Christy, but when she said, “some creative speculation or guesswork or hunch,” my understanding was not that she thought that you thought that that’s what you were looking for, but rather that she was asserting that anything that someone might offer in response to you would be, by necessity, a bit of creative speculation or guesswork or hunch. :slight_smile: But that may well not be what Christy meant.

2 Likes

@Eddie

Well Eddie, I’ve never accused anyone here of being a deist and have never used the word as a weapon (nor have I seen that been done by anyone associated with Biologos, though I may be wrong), but you in the opening post in this thread do use the term. But before I answer some specific claims let me state that I disagree with your definition of deism. Below is the definition on the Deism.org website"

Deism is the recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind, supported by personal observation of laws and designs in nature and the universe, perpetuated and validated by the innate ability of human reason coupled with the rejection of claims made by individuals and organized religions of having received special divine revelation.

“Deism” is inextricably linked to rejecting of the biblical God and deists would not consider myself or Denis Lamoureux anythings close to deists. Therefore, labeling any believer as a deist or their views as deistic is, in my opinion, little less than an ad hominem attack (though I know that is not your intention). At most one could state that some EC’s views on God’s ongoing role in nature are the same as those of deists. If people are calling Deism what Dr. Lamoureux and I believe due to our views on nature then they are simply wrong.

Off topic, though you are one of more, “gentler” posters here Eddie I do notice that you throw in the odd word here and there that may not live up to your academic credentials. Here in your response to me are some words and phrases that you used: God, “retired” after the BB, God is, “aloof”, and God looks, “wimpy” and works though, “trial and error” (something you would have to agree with, even if God did create the first cell, or, as you posted to someone else, “gently guides genetic mutations”). Yes, with some you are quoting conservative Evangelicals but I think that may be close to hiding behind them and stating what you really think of naturalistic evolution. Just my 2 cents, you may take it as you will

Back on topic, can you explain how God being powerful enough to create a nature that has the capacity to evolve man to be, “wimpy”? As I stated before, Dawkins certainly doesn’t hold that view. In fact, I would say the opposite is true, that the, “wimpy” god is the god who created this universe that evolves but couldn’t do it all the way so he had to, “intervene” to make it happen. Also, it is simply wrong to hold that our views entail God, “retiring” after the BB or is aloof. Being that He has the intelligence to create a self-sustained creation that would evolve his image-bearers, God intervened when necessary for their eternal destinies, including having his son tortured and murdered for them. How is that, “aloof”? You may mean that we claim that He is aloof in nature, but I think that is a distinction that is not usually explained and, more importantly, it isn’t true. “Aloof” has an emotive element to it and it just doesn’t make sense to apply it to the unfolding of nature, especially when it is conceded (or should be conceded) that God’s laws do the great bulk of the work no matter one’s particular views (outside of YECism). Further, in my opinion, God is no more aloof in letting his intelligent creation evolve than he is in letting society evolve. So, according to your view, if God does a couple of miraculous acts over billions of years, or, “guides” mutations he is not aloof in nature, yet allows millions of innocents to be slaughtered in society without intervening and is not considered, “aloof”. “Aloofness” simply doesn’t apply to the question, other than using the term as a mild ad-hominem attack.

I haven’t seen ECs making the accusations you say they make, though I’m sure you read more than I do. For one not all ECs have the view of nature that I do. [quote=“Eddie, post:36, topic:18370”]
When they speak of natural laws normally being followed, they are accused of being Deistic
[/quote]

I think what these ECs are actually saying is that IDs/YECs are falsely claiming that their view on nature makes their overall views, “deistic”, so I don’t think that is a valid claim against some ECs. But regardless of whom is claiming what, the thrust of my point here is one, that any believer who holds to a self-developing view of nature cannot be accused of being a deist and cannot have the views claimed to be deistic, according to the true definition of deism. And two, these claims are mild ad hominem attacks, which you seem to agree with.

In addition I’m not concerned that some (you seem to broad-brush them) conservative Evangelicals are uncomfortable with my view of nature - they’re also uncomfortable with evolution, whether biological or cosmological. They don’t accept consensus science and I don’t expect them to accept that God didn’t have to, “tinker” with evolution, “should” it be true.

Eddie, I’d like to know how you see God working in biological and cosmological evolution. You’ve written before that you accept, “some forms” of evolution, but my guess is, and I could be wrong, that you’re waiting for something to disprove it or put it into question and believe Adam and Eve to be, “special” creations in the midst of, “some” evolution. My apologetics instructor believes exactly that, (but to be honest, it’s hard to nail down all of his specific views). By the way, I believe man to be a special creation as well, just that we evolved with no tinkering. In my view man is no less, “special” then if he were, “instantaneously” created being that, as a Christian, I hold that God intentioned man through evolution. So, and I may be wrong, you and I are coming from different places. I studied biological evolution, as a believer who didn’t believe in evolution, at a graduate level at a Ivy League school and was convinced, 21 years ago, that it was true and over the years everything that I’ve studied bears out that God did in fact use common descent to, “created” man. However, if one isn’t convinced of that or is still trying to figure it out, then of course they will be uncomfortable with the non-interventionist variety.

Another point about, “front-loaded” evolution is that you and Jon Garvey consistently claim that that idea is inspired by Enlightenment-era writers. However, for myself, I never studied them to any extent and their views have nothing to do with my coming to my view of nature. It was more taking science out of Genesis and rejecting concordism that allowed me to view nature as it really is (at least how I see it).

Question: If God is intelligent enough to create a universe that evolves man on it’s own, wouldn’t’ He have to? If He can, then why would He not? Regardless of your exact views on nature Eddie, you must accept that the bulk of changes in the cosmos and the biosphere have happened through physical laws acting gradually on matter over billions of years. Being so, I find it a bit odd how strongly some people react to my view of nature when, unless they are YECs and disregard consensus science, they themselves have to accept the bulk of what I believe. “But God isn’t lazy and therefore he must be working in evolution!” Yes, through His laws that he, “ordained”! (as Lamoureux puts it and though I don’t vibe with that term I agree with the thought). You and Jon Garvey may claim that my views on nature are bad theology and science but I wholeheartedly disagree, and in the end we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this point.

One last point. If God did and/or is working beyond His laws, wouldn’t he make it obvious? If God isn’t deceitful, and of course the God of the bible cannot be, then why would he not make his, “tinkering” available for his children to discover? You may say that we simply haven’t found it yet, but which way is the whole thing going? Gaps are almost non-existant now. So I would say that I’m on the side of good science, seeing that science assumes natural explanations and is probably the most successful human endeavor in history.

2 Likes

Beaglelady

The flaw in your jape is to assume that because God is providentially concerned to create John the Baptist from a single sperm, that he has no other providential purposes in mind for the rest of the Universe. I accept that that, of course, is not helped by phrases like “steering sperms” or “nudging molecules”, all of which suggest a God interfering with reality, rather than creating and governing reality, which is the biblical God.

Any question of why God would have done something wastefully, or inefficiently or whatever is a variation on the man in Romans 9 who talked back to God by asking “Why have you made me this way?”

Going an order of magnitude up the scale, Elizabeth and Zechariah were providentially healed of infertility in order that John should be born at all - which could prompt a remark in exactly the same form as yours: why were there so many millions of infertile couples in the world at that time since only one was healed for God’s mission? The answer, insofar as there is one apart from God’s higher wisdom, is that for some their purpose was to be baptized by John and have their sins forgiven. Not to be John the Baptist is not to be beyond providence.

As it was, all science could have said was that Elizabeth’s experience contributed to (rather than interfering with, note) the infertility probability function: it was not the probability function (ie chance) that led to her conception.

In fact, the same issue of “privilege” is unavoidable for anyone who believes in intercessory prayer. If we pray, as the Lord commanded, for our daily bread from the Lord, and that is met in a remarkable way by, say, a late payment arriving just in time to buy food, then we can either give thanks for God’s provision, or carp that it’s unfair that not all people in the world had the same answer to our prayer. That might stop one praying out of spite, but I write for people who believe in prayer - folks, intercessory prayer is about asking providential privilege (and leaving wise Government to God).

Now, a statistician could point out that amongst people of your socio-economic group, 13% (or 83%, or whatever) receive late payments in time to avoid starvation. He would be, however, going beyond science into metaphysics to claim that you received your daily bread by chance, rather than by the providence of God in response to prayer.

Indeed, in that case we can say, as believers, that causal one factor in the probability distribution of daily bread is daily prayer. We might also invoke some “natural” causes like the propensity of debtors to pay up, their fear of legal action etc - but what we can say is that nobody within the probability group got the result they did because of “chance”.

Chance is not a cause. Probability is not a cause. Of anything. Chance is an observation of unpredictable real causes. Natural law can be a cause (an order created by God). And providential contingency can be a cause - or if not prayer becomes a bit complicated: “Our Father, if you set up the Big Bang so that I receive my daily bread today by the laws of nature, I thank you.”

The doctrine of special providence does not deal in scientific causation for the simple reason that science has to do with regularity, and special providence with contingency.

No it isn’t, because the Bible tells us what kind or person God is and what we can expect from Him, and God Himself has identified the fact that certain animals have suboptimal features and He’s fine with that. So we’re just raising an issue already embedded in the text.

1 Like

Why don’t you attend a BioLogos conference? There is one coming up, I believe. You’d be able to look everyone in the eye and shake their hands. And have real discussions. And they would be able to find out who you are after you introduce yourself. Good idea, right?

4 Likes

@Eddie

@ThomasJayOord finds refuge under the umbrella because he rejects YEC theology.

I think you will find that more writers under this umbrella would be more willing to more frequently write the specifics of their beliefs if Behe also frequently rejected YEC. As I’ve written in threads before, I don’t find Behe unequivocably speaking against YEC theology ever since the creation of BioLogos (2007).

Do you know of him being so forthright in the last 8 years?

Your mention Oord… and he seems to be a cautionary tale of what happens if someone is TOO detailed about his beliefs!

George Brooks

@beaglelady0

That is certainly an idea that would advance @Eddie’s credibility. It is easy to ask someone to be more detailed about his beliefs… when he writes anonymously…

2 Likes

@Jon_Garvey,

Excuse me, dear sir,but what ?!?!

Are you saying that these phrases are undesirable? Or that they are misunderstood to mean such?

We only have two choices here: either God “front-loaded” EVERYthing (at the moment of creation)… or that he periodically wields the occasional miraculous action . . . in order to bridge between two or more natural/causal developments and achieve the specifics of his grand plan.

So, help me out, @Jon_Garvey, so I understand the intimate nature of what your objection actually is. Thank you very much!

George

The division of God’s action into “frontloading” (by which i guess you mean natural law) and “miracle” is an unbiblical one - the equivalent in Scripture are “signs and wonders”, intended to show God’s power, blessing and so on in a special way. That misses out the vast majority of what God does in the world - and that is providence.

Any classical theologian can help out there - Aquinas might be a good place to start, since he’s so thorough in distinguishing how providence governs law, “chance”, miracle and human choice all. But you could foloow the idea in Church Fathers like Irenaeus, Justin, Lactantius or, of course, Augustine; in any of the mediaeval scholastics; in the Reformers, or in Wesley or in Arminius - in other words virtually any Christian theologian who hasn’t taken on board the Enlightenment dividsion of “natural” or “supernatural”,

Providence is a function (or maybe a subdivision) of God’s creative power, so it does not exercise power over nature, but it does nature. Miracles are rare - but providence is pervasive.

2 Likes