Evolution and God's Sovereignty (and the BioLogos view)

This was a frank and revealing back and forth between Christy and Eddie to see the deeper issues at stake. Thanks especially to Christie’s patient explanations.

“What I’m interested in knowing is what God has to do with the evolutionary process.” … “I’m as much in the dark what God actually does in the evolutionary process as when I started following BioLogos.” – Eddie

At least the main issue for Eddie is now on the table. The first part sounds on the surface like a noble cause.

So, then what have you learned specifically from natural science, Eddie, about “what God actually does in the evolutionary process”? Otherwise, what have you learned from religious studies or the history of ideas about this? If you don’t want to answer that here, then maybe you could start another thread yourself to answer it.

What, in your opinion/view/theory/hypothesis/private worldview/etc., Eddie, does “God actually do in the evolutionary process”? In other words, what “special divine action” in evolution do you recognise as ‘scientific’, ‘philosophical’ and/or ‘theological/worldview’?

As you surely are aware, Intelligent Design theory has nothing at all to say about “what God has to do with the evolutionary process.” So, are you any more ‘in the light’ about “what God actually does in the evolutionary process” since you became a non-modern IDist? It would not seem so. If not, then BioLogos sure doesn’t look that bad in the balance as you often paint it to be here.

It is of course quite easy, time and time again, to blame people who endorse TE/EC (or at least, a select, very, very small percentage of the people who endorse it) for all manner of incompleteness, as no doubt both Roger and Christy would agree. Imo Christy is right, however, in suggesting that you don’t seem to offer anything better as an alternative, Eddie. Thus, for you, again, “what does God actually do in the evolutionary process?”

Would it be possible that the answer is - nothing?

That’s Eddie’s question, in case he might try to (‘intelligently design’ an) answer to you.

@Patrick

Would it be possible that the answer [what God does] is - nothing?

Not for theists here, not unless they are deists of some extreme sort. It is, of course, a logical possibility to our finite and limited way of framing issues, but not one that you can reasonably expect to be pursued or embraced as some sort of new article of faith here on a Christian site.

“I hope I’ve said everything I’ve said politely and reasonably.”

Sure, everything ‘nice’ enough except for the gaping hole of not answering directly the single, simple question.

So, I’ll ask it again, politely and reasonably. Christy’s comments were welcome in their directness and you then admitted what you’re (mainly) 'interested in knowing.’ That is the basis for my question.

Question: So, then what have you learned specifically from natural science, Eddie, about “what God actually does in the evolutionary process”?

You contend:

“a conservative would not be the slightest bit afraid to argue that God controls evolutionary outcomes”.

Obviously you consider yourself a ‘conservative.’ Please drop the political pretension that the onus is only on BioLogos to give a ‘liberal’ answer and tell us specifically what YOU think “God has to do with the evolutionary process.” How does God ‘control’ evolution?

For God’s sake, Eddie, please stop avoiding the question. Will you not ever give BioLogos the courtesy of a clear, concise, polite, reasonable answer?

The secondary question, only on the table if you should miraculously answer the first one, is this: Intelligent Design theory has nothing at all to say about “what God has to do with the evolutionary process.” So, are you any more ‘in the light’ about “what God actually does in the evolutionary process” since you became a non-modern IDist?

Oh, did I take a wrong turn on the secular internet? :smiley: If this is a Christian site, please excuse my heretical blasphemy. I mean no harm.

“I thought my answer was clear enough.” … “My opinion has been clear all along.” … “I’ve been very clear in my answer.” … “So I’ve been clear”. – Eddie

Funny that, I thought Christy’s answer was much clearer and simpler.

My question was certainly not if you believed in ‘design in nature.’ Everybody knows you believe that as a man of faith, as a self-professed ‘theologian.’ My question to you was a reiteration of your own question about any evidence you may know of for “what God has to do with the evolutionary process.” You didn’t provide any evidence, certainly not any scientific evidence, just possible ‘ideas’.

You offered two ‘hypotheses’ about “ways in which God could guarantee particular results of the evolutionary process,” but included no specifics of when, where, in what or how the supposed ‘interventions’ have taken place or even if they could be studied ‘scientifically.’ Let’s at least be clear that no scientific evidence was offered for either ‘intervention’ or ‘front-loading’. Do you grant that, Eddie?

You boldly contend that “God makes sure of evolutionary outcomes,” but offer no specific evidence of how. Where’s the science backing up your position? Intelligent Design theory provides nothing to back up such a contention. ‘Zap!’ and ‘Poof!’ are not legitimate answers. Again, please be specific, because it sounds like that is what you’re asking others to do here, i.e. people you call ‘TE/EC biologists’. Otherwise, it would just sound hypocritical.

“I would be quite willing to go with front-loading, or intervention, or a combination.”

Ok, then please take a position that you actually believe (as a ‘betting man’ or as a non-gambler) and elaborate on it clearly and specifically here at BioLogos instead of just criticising others for their position. A new thread would be most appropriate for this with you as its author, since you are the one making the claims beyond what BioLogos contributors have made. This would require providing biological evidence of God’s ‘intervention(s)’ or ‘guidance’ of evolution in natural history. Surely many of us here (and also, those who have not yet visited BioLogos) would welcome such evidence that you seem to believe you can provide that ‘TE/EC biologists’ have not or cannot. Do you know something concrete and empirical about this that we don’t?

“the vast majority of them incline strongly against the view that he [sic] ever intervenes (in evolution, I mean).”

Perhaps ‘they’ just don’t have strong empirical evidence for the supposed ‘interventions’ you are asking for? And frankly, I don’t see how one could ever find empirical evidence of ‘front loading.’ Iow, Christy’s “I don’t know.” I also liked her response about “ways of trying to understand something that is at its essence not something you can pin down.”

“…convince the Christian that if evolution is a real natural process, God is in charge of its operations and its results.”

That position (aside from the question-begging ‘if’) is typically called ‘theistic evolution’ or ‘evolutionary creation.’ It is the mainstream view of Abrahamic theists who accept limited and possible evolutionary theories (e.g. adaptation, natural ‘selection,’ mutation and drift, epigenetics, symbiogenesis, horizontal DNA transfer, etc.) about natural history. It doesn’t require movement ‘leaders’ or ‘activists’ since it is simply the best science/faith synthesis regarding evolution currently on offer.

It thus seems that you have not gone a single step further than BioLogos already has, Eddie, on the main question that animates you in expressing such harsh (“philosophically and theologically incompetent”, “intellectually vacuous”, etc.) disagreement here: “what God has to do with the evolutionary process.” At that point, you just jump the shark into IDism, an ideology that many, if not most people who hold to TE rightfully reject. Nevertheless, already Abrahamic theists think “God is in charge” theologically speaking, even if not (always?) as a divine dictator.

“if a BioLogos leader will ever make a theological statement regarding God’s control over the results of evolution”

So, now you’re asking (actually, it sounds more like demanding) BioLogos for a ‘theological statement,’ rather than a ‘scientific statement’ regarding evolution? You might want to go read BioLogos’ Questions pages, Eddie. Perhaps the BioLogos synthesis is less compartmentalising than your considerable intellect allows you to see.

And like Christy, “I don’t assume that someone not giving a ‘straight answer’ is hiding their true opinions.” Openly I admit I haven’t a clue how God ‘guides’ or ‘intervenes’ in biological evolution or “what God has to do with the evolutionary process.” And frankly, I also agree with Christy when she said “I think you are posing questions that don’t have definitive answers”, while insisting that BioLogos provide ‘definitive answers’ to satisfy you.

It does seem that somehow I and quite a few others at BioLogos value freedom of choice in nature and character more than you, Eddie. It may simply be that you fall on the more ‘deterministic’ or ‘controlling’ side of the theological spectrum. (Some IDists, for example, are basically committed to ideological occassionalism.)

The last words here I give to Christy because she expressed them so well:

“It’s enough for me to hear someone say they believe God is intimately involved in the ongoing running of the universe, that he has a purpose and a plan for creation, and that miracles happen. I believe all those things and I have heard them repeated plenty at BioLogos.”

1 Like

I have not read every post in this discussion (as some of them are quite long) so I apologize if what I am about to say retreads old ground or has already been said by those involved in the discussion already. My view on God’s role in evolution is as follows: evolution is fundamentally a force of nature no different than the weather or the geophysical processes that cause earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and continental drift. Just as the inherent randomness of those processes does not impede God’s ability to influence them, neither does the randomness of the evolutionary process affect God’s ability to guide and direct it as he sees fit. I mean, if man is capable of influencing the process of evolution to produce different breeds of dogs, cats, horses, and plants, how much more capable is God of directing the process in whatever direction he wants. Being omnipotent, all God would really have to do is will the appearance of Man and the evolutionary process would take whatever route it needed to for Man to appear on the scene. It’s pretty straightforward.

I think a lot of people’s problem with evolution is that they see it limiting God’s ability to act in the production of life. It does not. God is in full control of the process of evolution and can direct it any which way he chooses just as he can the orbits of planets (which are governed by gravity) or control storms (which are caused by atmospheric convection). Everything in nature runs by random processes but that does not stop God from controlling them. He is still sovereign over them and the rest of nature.

I hope this was helpful.

God is omnipotent. That is how he maintains control. It is no more complicated than that. He wills evolution to go in a particular direction and it does what he wants. Just like everything else in creation. It’s that simple of a thing.

I think you are missing the point of how God’s sovereignty works in nature. There is no need for God to front load evolution to prevent a race of intelligent octopi from evolving. If he does not want it to happen then it simply will not happen because he does not want it. God’s omnipotence extends to the random turnings of evolution. If he wills Man to evolve, then evolution will take whatever turns are necessary for it to happen. It is really that simple.

Of course it is enough to speak of God’s will. If God wants evolution to run in a particular direction then it will, regardless of its contingent nature. That’s how omnipotence works.

Also, God is hardly playing dice. With so many stars in the universe and so many planets for life to develop on, I hardly think he was leaving anything to chance. There are so many opportunities for life like ours to arise that it’s almost impossible for it not to have. From this standpoint, the Biologos position that God just let nature take it’s course is reasonable. God did not leave anything to chance really.

You also need to learn how to separate the process of evolution itself from God’s ability influence it. The way in which Darwin described evolution is fundamentally how it works. While there is ongoing debate about the rates of evolution (phyletic gradualism versus punctuated equilibrium) and at what point the transition is made from Microevolution to Macroevolution, the idea of survival of the fittest through natural selection remains intact as the primary mechanism by which species are chosen for survival. If God desires for mankind to arise, however, all he had to do is command it to happen and it will. Nature and evolution, following the natural laws that they run by, will bring about the result God intended.

@Eddie
@Gregory
@DanielPBurnham
It’s my understanding that when an atheist uses the term “natural” or “random” they mean God is simply not involved. But when Biologos authors use the term “natural” or “random” I have understood them to mean that there is no observable intervention by God or humanly predictable outcome. But that’s not a denial that God was actively involved.

If you are an evolutionary creationist, isn’t the the presupposition that God is actively involved in the process and outcomes and those processes and outcomes are subject to his will and his plans? If God just created the mechanism and pushed the start button, Eddie, you’re right, you just have deism. But in what way is God’s sovereignty over nature ever observable? Isn’t acknowledging God’s sovereignty an a prori faith commitment, not something your observations push you to?

Unless we are talking about observing miracles…But I don’t know that any scientist has come up with a way to systematically study miraculous healings and storm calmings. Is anyone claiming that we should view every mutation that eventually gives rise to a new species as a miracle? If calling it a miracle is not necessary in order to explain what happens, do you think God is offended that we didn’t give him enough credit for directly “intervening” in the process?

I think the issue lies in that fact that whether the randomness has God’s involvement or not, the results look the same. If I throw a die a million times I would get the same distribution whether God was involved or not. We see randomness all around us. You can’t predict the outcome and once a certain result actually occurs you can’t attribute it to God’s intervention or not because God left no traces in the results. You can’t distinguish “an act of God” from a naturally occurring event. Can’t predicted it either. Can’t give a range of likely outcomes but that is very model dependent.

1 Like