Ethical implications of God using Evolution

SUMMARY - PART 2A
Dynamics of Biblical inspiration and their implications

Hi all,
I won’t guild the Lilly too much on this one. This post will be me critically analysing the key ideas that have been put out in this thread in response to one of my two original grievance issues I brought up:

that God as creator obviously knew how the world was made and despite having the ability to communicate this, even to an ancient world, choose not to. He instead used stories that we understand were not factually true so that they could sound similar to other stories around in the part of the world the Bible originated from at the time, enabling easier reception to the original audience. I took issue with this as odd, very unsettling and casting all kinds of doubts on all kinds of things. Connected to this are the topics of the nature of inspiration, how we understand Genesis, the historicity of Scripture and purpose of Scripture and related topics.

This post is extremely personal for me. My faith, to be frank, is truly hanging on a few threads at the moment as I’ve been wrestling with all this. Yesterday I received in the mail the fascinating book “The believing primate” which is an Oxford published book where biologists, psychologists, theologians and a few others examine the whole concept of religion, in the light of evolution. It’s a book I ‘need to read’ with where I’m at right now … but I kinda know where it’s going to lead me. Sigh.

I’ve decided to more or less not hold back in what I say below. I mean no offence to anyone if it all comes across a bit raw.

Analysing:
1a. God spoke in the Bible in such a way that would make sense to the ancient people who were the audience. God therefore was not focussed on communicating in a way that would relate to us in the 21st century with our codes of thinking, knowing that we would later develop further as a human race to better understand why he spoke like he did at the time

Obviously this is a big key idea to respond to. People had some good comments about this that I’ve really considered. I guess for me what gets to the heart of it, is whether God wanted to convey actual factual truth about the physical world or not, and it would seem he didn’t in the Genesis account. Obviously there is more to it than that but that is part of it.

I know when considering this topic for me, having an analogy to bounce off is going to help. It’s certainly hard to come up with something of a modern day analogy to something like this … so an imaginary scenario was the closest thing I could do. Bear with me here as it is a little different … but I’m hoping as it sinks in … this short story allegory might be helpful:

** Allegory - the Proto Humans on Eiona **
It’s the year 2954. Since about the 2600s, humans have in earnest been spreading out across the galaxy. Governmental restraint on certain operations of the rich has become virtually impossible at anything more than a localised level, meaning what happens in the outer reaches is near impossible to police.

One company valued at multi quadrillions (1000 trillions) has had a secret operation running for a few generations now. They have set up a large colony on a distant moon. Using undisclosed methods that manipulate the speed of cells’ mitochondria processing, they have managed to vastly speed up the evolutionary processes. By this method, and with much human selection along the way, they have managed to evolve a relatively primitive human like species at incredible speed.

These ‘proto humans’ have no idea who created them. Their understanding of time is vastly different to ours; one of them can be born and live a full life in only 18 months, yet how they process and think is essentially the same as us - only faster. Over time, the proto humans have expanded and split off into multiple groups.
The company who set up the operation watch and see how their creation make sense of their world and their origin. Different origin stories start to arise, much based around an unseen power that drives and grows. The proto humans seem to have an innate sense of this and it is fascinating how they spiritualise it. Notably, very few animals have been created alongside these proto humans but the ones that have been made, are heavily referenced in the origin stories.
This whole area is incredibly fascinating for the company to observe. In the end, these ‘creators’ decide to carefully craft a story, not dissimilar to those that different groupings of the proto humans had come up with themselves, about origins.
Fascinatingly, a real human is able to ‘appear’ to these proto humans and the reactions they receive are amazing. These ‘appearances’ have been strictly limited and in delivering the origin story, the company was careful to strike the right balance between outright appearing (or theopany to the minds of the protos) and allowing the protos to think they had come up with the ideas supplied.

This story provided by the company hints at their being an “exalted group” of creators who made the proto-humans. Most of the rest of the crafted story fits in with the culture of these partially advanced proto humans.
The actual facts - the humans race travelling to the Kenarix region of the Milky Way in the year 2523, there being a megalomaniac ex leader of the prime colony, Mastaris Drune who went totally rogue, there being a small civil war on planet Marsharna that ended with Drune taking a third of the colonists on the planet into exile are totally unknown. Likewise that Drune had discovered new technologies and then with his scientists began the process of super evolving the protos on the secret moon called Eiona - these proto humans know absolutely nothing about.

*The Mastarisians (who live on a different part of Eiona) have a whole comedy program about it - it’s pretty hilarious actually. *
The Mastars have been working on this secret project for nearly 250 years. Of course, they know that, overtime, their creation will start to get more advanced and actually begin to realise more of how they came about. In line with this, the company know there are certain elements in the proto humans that can be reverse engineered that will point to this.
They have sent various ‘prophets’ in here and there, for different reasons, some experimental, but none have substantially updated the origin story (that said, a small group who called themselves the Lucifolds did try and get all righteous and let them know what was going on … but they were quickly subdued before too much damage was done. Fascinatingly, echoes of this attempt have merged with the protos origin story which made the whole thing more interesting.

** End **

Okay, so there you go. A sci-fi based allegory. Obviously there are many divergent points where the allergory wouldn’t hold up against traditional perspectives but I write it as a way to “reverse analyse” our situation (and yeah I got a bit carried away ha).

I think it is indeed fair to say that the proto humans in this imaginary scenario are gonna feel some pretty big and weird emotions once they realise how they actually came to be. The progenitors (ie the company, the creators) definitely could have told them how they came to be. They could have sent someone down with a clearer explanation. But they didn’t and so all manner of confusion - and wars etc break out over the proto humans development between their growing nations. The protos would be bitter and angry at the company - quite possibly wanting to find them and hold them accountable by some means - “look at all the suffering you caused, and why?”.
I think the argument that the progenitors “were only focussed on speaking to the early generations in a way they would understand“ when they gave the origin story … is not going to cut it for the more developed generations of proto humans years later. Especially considering the actual origin story was only given to a tiny group of them, the Ionzites.
(Side point: For anyone who has seen the movie Prometheus, there’s some interesting cross over in parts here - when the humans go out to find the ‘Engineers’ (who evidently made another much more nasty very non human species as well as them).

Indeed there are so many questions and issues that flow from this scenario. I genuinely think it is a helpful one to keep in mind when considering this key idea.

My conclusion then, at present - is that this argument in 1a. doesn’t hold water on so many levels. If God is indeed committed to revealing himself and truth to mankind, why not do so more progressively in a way that matched our ongoing development … like a parent would? I suppose some will answer “He did and the end point was Jesus” … but I personally don’t think that argument holds out when scrutinised. For example - why has clear revelation essentially stopped after Jesus? “cause he’s the prime and only real main revelation we need” I hear someone say, to which I answer “well, the fact revelation stopped, kinda abruptly, around 1900 years ago is totally not helpful … we really could have God’s guidance and revelation on a bucket load more issues … one of which being how we truly came about, ie the fact we evolved, it was pretty nasty just to ‘stumble’ on that knowledge”.
Indeed the “only revealed in a way they could understand at the time” argument has strong parental overtones - such that the other side of the coin of this argument is “well, why did God only show us something us human toddlers (and then only to a tiny group of Hebrews, ‘special’ toddlers if you will) and then when we got to about the collective human development age of about 11-12 years old, just leave us to figure out the rest? I emphasise again, in the process of ‘figuring out the rest’, God has allowed us to ‘stumble upon’ the actual truth of evolution- ie a very different story to what we had believed. God didn’t give us any prior warning. How this does not feel like getting a stone instead of bread, you can tell me cause I can’t see. Biting into evolution, it ain’t soft and delicious like bread - it’s a stone. A cold, lifeless, non digestible (and spiritually very innutritious) stone.

If anyone has seen the Netflix Movie ‘I am mother’ - there are some overtones here too with all this … when the main character finds that jawbone in the kilm. To reference another movie - when people on the movie ‘The Island’ realise there’s a whole other world out there, or when Neo discovers the Matrix. All of these are horrible, massively confronting revelations for the characters in those movies and I feel realising we evolved rather than were created in the way that was believed for 1000s of years is like that. Like I said in my original post, I feel this experience is probably like thinking your origins were via one family to then find out you’re adopted.

To the logic of the argument “God revealed to them only what they could understand” cannot we also say “well, if God was like that to them - why did he leave us to just ‘stumble’ on evolution without telling us?”. You’d think a loving parental figure by virtue of speaking to the early Hebrew folk how did, would also be of such a character to tell us - to tell someone, anyone - how we actually came to be.

So, at this present moment (it could change, sigh), I reject this argument, wholesale. It doesn’t hold up … and I challenge anyone to counter these points above. I ideally hope not to hear ‘more of the same‘ (the reason I went to the effort of doing the summary was to point out everything that has been said already so I’d appreciate the same things not being said again haha). If anyone feels they need to phrase things differently to capture a different angle than has been depicted already, please go for it. I just ask, humbly and with a weird kind of desperation almost (this is my faith hanging on here) please engage with the specifics of my arguments.

Analysing:
1b. The story of Adam & Eve (and by extension much of the Bible) uses metaphorical language to explain deep truths and is not meant to be understood as fact like we understand fact

This key idea I relate to and resonate more deeply with than 1a and in this, there is a lot of overlap with key idea 1c. It’s the finger prints, it’s the voice, it’s the person of God I want though - not just humans reflecting and responding in a “spiritual” way.
What I mean by saying this is - if scripture is full of metaphorical language that explains deep truths about the human condition - it creeps into the territory of the Iliad and of other people’s ancient stories rather than actual, factual hard truth. And by doing so - how can we make a real distinction (except for personal subjectivity) about how to discover the real truth?? Ultimately we humans just end up facing ourselves in the mirror when we think about “God” here. I don’t want that and I don’t believe that - I believe there is something, someone higher … although I wrote that line about a week ago and even since then, my belief in this has diminished now … but it is still there. I just think traditional concepts of it are, basically, not correct. I’m still a Christian with the imprint of the cross on my heart but on this Pilgrims progress of mine … I’ve now wandered into a pretty dark land … not unlike the elephant grave yard in the Lion King and I can certainly hear the jackals calling. Is God still my shepherd here? Or is the thought of having a shepherd just a sense of safety that even enabled a confidence to come and explore this land? This land I might now get stuck in? Certainly I can’t see how I’ll make it back to the prime right now. The sun is down and I don’t see it rising that’s for sure … I feel like the rest of my life will be spent in a shadowy kind of darkness after thinking through all these things. A never ending night. The daylight of my innocent beliefs is gone. But who knows - the sun may well rise again and it will be particularly special if it does
(I’m going on a bit I suppose but the nature of such emotions isn’t always near. In my ‘lamenting’ - I’m comforted by the memory that many in the Bible - King David being a prime example but certainly others, Obadiah being another, did have large sections of complaint, of sadness, of expressing how they truly felt … so God, I’m expressing how I truly feel here …).

Sigh. Cutting in to an earlier bit of this write up here, I’m seriously having to ask questions like “what is truth? What actually is the Bible? And how is it truly and genuinely different from other people’s ancient scriptural texts? Like really - how? Because it is ‘inspired by God - the one and only true God?’ - this God who decided not to make any super clear distinguishing features to his ‘actual’ revelation (aka the Bible)? It is a pathetically weak argument to say “my version of the truth is true … um, because my version, um, says it is true! Yes, that’s right”.
Sounds like a primary school argument between 7 years olds, 6 years olds even. But that is kind of what we’re left with … if we except the idea that Bible is metaphorical and primarily not literal but is despite this, still true over and against other ancient religious scriptures. More holes than Swiss cheese.

I’d certainly posture that the Bible is deeper and maybe in the sense of it being ‘deeper’ therefore ‘truer’ than other texts (I’ve read part of the Koran and, with respect for another religion here - it came across to me as a lot of kinda random like sayings one after the other … without a narrative coherence to it but that’s just me. Certainly, it wasn’t a story. I’ve read small parts of other ancient scripture (can’t find it now but I think it was some ancient Hindu scripture or something - anyway, it was actually quite beautiful and I distinctly remember it talking about “the one true God” and how virtuous he is and how is sustainer and things like that. I remember thinking “this sounds like parts of the Bible!”.

So I certainly don’t reject this key idea - I embrace it, as I can see some very deep truths in the Bible communicated by it - deeper even than if I try and see the early part of Genesis as historical.
But then - how do I explain the actual historical inaccuracies (or what are generally postulated fo be inaccuracies) written down in our Bible. For example, ones to make Abraham look amazing fighting off that huge Babylonian army in Genesis 14 … I mean, hmm. There’s that and there’s - basically everything outlined in the last 10 minutes of episode 100 of the ‘Bible for Normal people‘ podcast.
Here a “totally pure and heavenly” sense of all the deep truths the Bible begins, in my mind, to break down. In the growing debris, a picture forms of how there is a clear agenda in parts of the Okd Testament, saying how special and awesome the people of Israel were and using essentially untrue stories to back this up. I mean look at all the awesome stuff Abraham and then Moses did.
This apparent bias in the Bible skews and pollutes a kind of “pure revelation to all of man kind” perspective this key idea is in many ways based on.

There’s this and then there’s the related argument “well, maybe ‘deep truths’ are also found - perhaps even better and lore clearly articulated without the bias of political agendas in other ancient holy writings. Did God ‘inspire’ those too? Or do we draw the boundaries of heavenly inspiration around our own scriptures (harking back to the 6 year olds in the school yard)? If we don’t … where and how do we draw the boundaries??

On this I wrote back in Post 13

Another interesting quote in this direction was

P15

1c. The Bible is man’s (humanely fallible) way at trying to communicate eternal truths and [sub idea to this point] is done in the context of God being accessible and awareness of his existence being felt in a deep way by all. This said, awareness of God can only be communicated via human means and is therefore bound by the restrictions of communication in time and place

Well, basically everything I said in 1b is covered here. I’m leaning very much to 1c. being what I’ll be running with for now …

1d. God actually has put clues about creation having occurred by evolution- obviously these could only be vague clues as they could not have been understood by the original audiences but they are still there and it is also our duty, joy and privilege to find out the truth rather than just have it told to us

I’ve addressed some of this above in my relatively brief discussions with @gbob and @Jay313. The logic of this key idea also connects with the above ones, perhaps especially with some of the things in 1a.

Certainly one of BioLogos’ entire main key ideas is that, just as scripture says “he knits us together in our mother’s womb” isn’t actually some hands knitting us together per se but natural biological processes, so the story of God creating us humans in general and Adam & Eve specially, could be a general picture of God creating humans and that this can be - that it is in BioLogos’ view - God working to knit humanity together by the natural means of evolution. Simples (I.e. no stress).

This whole argument then at this point takes an off ramp to the issues all raised in the key ideas of point number 2, so refer to that those points (in the next forthcoming summary instalment) for more on this

1e. Explaining how all things were created was not a priority for God

I think the original reference to this was the fact that God spoke at more length in scripture about rules about grains and goats than he did about actually how he made the world.

I generally agree however would point out that there certainly are multiple references to God creating the world, with some further slightly specific details dotted through scripture besides in Genesis - e.g. in the Psalms, in the earlier part of Proverbs quite a bit, and here and there in the major prophets with occasional phrases like “he lays out the heavens like a sheet” etc. Still, the total sum of all these references might add up to maybe 4-5 bible chapters, not much compared to other topics up for discussion in scripture. While I’m here, I note that it would be an interesting exercise to correlate and compare the various references through the whole Bible about creation and deduct a picture. I’m sure someone could link an article in on that.
Certainly though, there is never a clear reference - anywhere - to evolution, nor to there being billions and billions of years of time in the universe from starting point to now. Nor are there any special clues about such things as multiple galaxies, gravity, supernova, black holes, bacteria or DNA. God knows about all these super cool things and will spend bulk chapters on prophecies about ancient nations not around anymore but who discussion about has been immortalised forever (and which includes some comments and prophecies - I wince to say - that I understand never even came about (the Gog and Magog stuff) … yet does not reveal actual interesting and later verifiable facts about his creation. Great, thanks. Doesn’t that seem really odd? Isn’t that like … sad? We have to really start to lower our expectations of ‘God’ when we start to realise such things, well, that’s how I’m feeling anyway. It’s like a kid who thinks their Dad can do anything when their going to later realise, ah, maybe not. At least it feels a bit like that.
I’m sounding super facetious here but I mean it. Us humans we have to start realising such things and asking ”God, what the?” If he is God - he can take it! Take it like a man, take it like a God. That is, unless God is Man and Man doesn’t want to take it. I hate the thought but it’s properly surfacing right now. I’ll probably end up taking that “thought captive” to quote Paul but it’s a wily one.

In all this (ranting here? Yes, sorry) I feel we should feel comfortable to ask the “Why God”
questions. “Why God did you tell us about ancient this and not that?” I think is fair. If God is Abba - Dad, well a child who feels comfortable enough to call their father ‘Dad’ is comfortable enough to ask such questions.

Before I finish on all this prior to getting into the next key idea, I want to mention something else. In my job, I do a lot of reading over other people’s work and make corrections about spelling (ha, I know mine through this thread hasn’t always been best :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), about phrasing and generally about how to correctly convey a strong, clear message to the reader. In all this, I often have it in mind how something will be read and understood by future workers who didn’t know necessarily about the specific context of the here and now. Our department has in fact been pushing for sometime now about the importance of clearly recording decisions and rationales in our system at a point in time, so it can be understood later. Before I sign anything - I need to feel comfortable with it. I won’t just sign anything - if I do, it’s basically me saying “this meets my standard and I’m okay with it”.

I suppose one way to look at the concept of the inspiration of scripture is that humans, with the Holy Spirit inside/around them guiding, wrote the words but by virtue of inclusion in the canon, God has ‘signed off’ on it. I know the picture is not that clear cut but there has to come a point where we get real and say “okay, if we believe this is ‘God’s word’, well then obviously as a minimum God has seen it, read it, is more or less happy with the phrasing, happy with the generally understood take away meanings including how it could be understood in the future by people who didn’t know the context at the time, etc. There are so many implications of this it would almost need another thread to explore them all - but my main point in pretty much everything I’ve written here is that scripture leaves me with a profound awkwardness and sense of almost embarrassment. It does not leave me with a sense of jaw open awe, which the scripture itself says is what God is jealous for and often aims for in his dealings.

1g. At the end of the day, trying to understand the tensions and apparent contradictions of how science and scripture interact is not something we will eventually ‘figure out’, at some point we just need to accept that and move on while still holding on to faith

So here we are, at this fun point. You know what this key point feels like, it feels like ‘barleys’ in the old game of chasey. In primary school (and maybe a bit in high school) I and many others used to love playing chasey. Running away from the person who was “it” in a big group was so much fun. Then there was reverse chasey (or whatever it was called, I forget), where each time a person was touched by the person who was “it”, they too became “it” and chased down all those who were not “it”’until one person was left. Those trying to avoid the growing number of people who were “it“ would have certain safe zones to run where they could call out “Barleys!” and be safe from being tagged. This argument feels very much like this “Barleys” or “Time out”.
My thoughts in response are
“Sure. Stay there, it’s good not to by blown around by all kinds of ideas …but also, c’mon now”.
Sometimes we do need to run away from some big and scary idea running after us. Sometimes we enter a “barleys room”, so to speak, from one door and instead of going back out that door to face that scary idea again, we go out another door. Avoidance, dressed up in smart clothes. Dressed up in religious clothes, scented with myrrh if you don’t mind.
Sometimes avoidance is okay. But for me, those big scary ideas will just come round a different way and find you again. Are we just going to keep running from them? I guess in many ways, many of us can live our whole lives this way. Running into Barleys rooms away from things we don’t want to confront or don’t want to be tagged by. It gets hard though … it is convenient in many ways, but also is a weird way to love and a tad soul destroying. I’m very much talking to myself here, but I think also to a general ‘human experience’ I imagine many can relate to.
For me right now, the scary thing pursuing me is called Occam’s Razor of logic. It has in fact totally caught up with me and I’m in its grip. It’s confronting, but it’s good. I want the truth - I want THE TRUTH. I don’t want make believe - stories, excuses, confusion. I want real.

I’m embracing Occam’s Razor these days … and thus I’ve been shaving off a whole of stupid theories and sub theories because of it. I’m not going to hide in the Barleys Zone anymore - Occam Razor come get me and make me a better and more sensible, grounded person. I see much much less of God and much much more humanity as it cuts away at me.

Can I ask that you please watch this short video (it’s pretty funny I think)? Please especially consider the part about how people had to try and come up with all manner of crazy theories to try and make a geocentric model of the solar system work.
So much of the essence of trying to reconcile evolution with all its implications to scripture has, for me, felt so much like this …
Occam’s Razor

The way you describe this seems like a false dichotomy to me, especially with a phrase like “how we actually came to be.” God did reveal how we came to be – he told the Hebrews things that are far more important than a change in allele frequency over time. Continuing with the parental figure idea, if my parents told me that “sometimes when a mom and dad love each other, God gives them a baby,” but then I later find out at school that it’s actually just two gametes coming together to produce a zygote, does that mean they lied to me? Should I be mad at them for not telling me “how I actually came to be”? I just don’t see that God owes us any scientific information. It’s only part of the equation, and it’s a part we can figure out on our own. He gave us the part we couldn’t figure out on our own, and I simply trust that he is able to assess that better than I am.

It sounds like you’re still struggling with this idea of evolution as a cold, mean, horrible process, and so I won’t rehash the arguments people have already made about that. I would completely agree with you if evolution was all there was. If humanity were just an evolved accident with no real purpose or future, I’d feel let down too. Even now the problem of evil can be hard to reconcile with God (or at least with our idea of him), and with the fact that God has and continues to let terrible things happen on Earth. But I simply don’t see evolution as taking away anything about God – not his creative power, or his love, or the redemption he’s put in motion.

I’m sorry deconstruction/reconstruction/shifts in expectations can be so overwhelming and soul-crushing. You’re not alone. I keep thinking of Proverbs 25:2:

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter and the glory of kings to search it out.

It doesn’t always feel glorious. I think sometimes this process is more childlike than I’d like to think, that the real question hiding behind the “facts of life” or crazy new information a child must eventually learn, is something more like “Do you love me? Am I important to you?” Science can’t answer those questions. I continue to believe that God absolutely does love us and we can see this in science if we don’t try and separate it too much from those deeper truths.

Anyway, I don’t know if my own disconnected thoughts will help much, but on the chance that they will, hang in there.

7 Likes

The hardest part in all of this is that no one can do your wrestling for you, you have to do it yourself. And I don’t think what you really want is better, more definitive or satisfying answers to your questions, what you want is assurance of God’s love and faith in his promises. But no one here can give that to you. Prayers for you as you sort out your stuff. It gets better.

2 Likes

Like my attorney is gonna fall for that one.

1 Like

Why are you so sure it has? In fact, if you are right that it has, then Christ would have been wrong, then, to teach us that the Spirit will be coming and continuing to teach (John 14:26).

Which of these is generally admired as the best teacher? The one who jumps in and feeds the pupils all the correct answers? Or the one who gives them ample chance to think about and wrestle toward those answers for themselves? God did give us brains to use, right? It seems probable to me that God delights in seeing those created minds well-used.

Especially if the particular god they are hoping to believe in isn’t the real God. I’m pretty sure I’ve got notions about God that need tweaking, correcting, or some of which may be just entirely wrong. Some people think the only valid notion of God (courtesy of their fixation on a couple isolated scriptures) is that God should be a giant vending machine. Insert proper prayer and faith here, and expect the prayed-for treat in the receptacle. Is it such a bad thing that they come to discover there is no such vending machine god? If that is the highest aspiration for a god their minds can reach, then I’ll suggest they may be better off to be atheists. It might prove to be much the same for other versions of god we have floating around in our brains … perhaps the geeky equivalent of the vending machine god would be the information-dispensory god: one who should function as an accurate encyclopedia for us who also attends to our needed proofs and intellectual assents as a needed preliminary basis before anything else. We are often upset when we discover that no god seems to want to march under the authority of our scientific demands any more than our vending machine demands. That God should not submit to our terms on whatever operational fronts we demand is a hard pill for us to swallow. And indeed, I think God does (in his own terms and timing) come into our fronts where we are in order to reach out to us. But when we then want to pin him down inside those particular fronts - imagining that God then is all about meeting our demands, then I think we are challenged then to grow beyond that towards more of a relationship. Sort of like a kid realizing that mom or dad are more than just “the person that always gives me what I want.” Mom and dad indeed do that on occasion, but it isn’t their final identity (the child’s need-supplier) that they would hope to cultivate with a maturing child. That analogy does break down in one sense in that we never grow independent of our heavenly Parent and should always look to God as our need-supplier, but that remains a very “us-centered” view of God that cannot contain nearly all of who God is. “It’s not all about me/us” is a very hard pill for any of us to swallow, and yet we are obliged toward taking the ever-repeated, daily dose of that very medicine. I may be about due for my own daily dose.

5 Likes

But not the most important one. The most important objection is that science and cosmology was not the purpose of the text. It is frankly like complaining that the Bible doesn’t explain the rules of chess, how to run a democratic government, or how to fix a computer.

Nor is there a clear reference to the shape of the Earth, just those describing it like a table with 4 corners. And some people think there are vague references to evolution. Certainly there are references to a great deal more people on the Earth than Adam and Eve.

That is too bad since as a physicist, I think Occam’s Razor is mostly baloney. The problem is this…

1. Two explanations are almost never completely equal, and fact is that scientists go with the explanation which is accurate (matching the measurable data) no matter how complicated it is. Describing quantum field theory as simple is downright laughable.
  2. When two explanations ARE equal then it generally recognized that we require the freedom and flexibility to look at things in either way – and the different ways or frames of reference are useful for different calculations.

So which is it in the case of the Ptolemaic (geocentric) versus Copernican (heliocentric) view of the universe? Both. The biggest problem with the geocentric view is that is will never be as accurate. That is why you keep having to add corrections (epicycles). Assuming you do make all the corrections to the geocentric view required for accuracy to the required precision, then the geocentric view is just the one that directly describes the motion of the planets in the sky. And there is nothing innately more accurate about the heliocentric view when you consider the velocity of the sun around the galaxy and the velocity of the galaxy itself in the local cluster.

2 Likes

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your comments. It probably is another ‘key idea’ in the thread that I didn’t point out that, in the same way a parent mightn’t explain all the details of a matter to a child but the key point - so God did in Genesis (although thinking about it, I suppose that is the actual point of 1a.).

Personally, I would still respectfully disagree with

I don’t think he did. At all, anywhere in the entire catalogue of scripture. And what was told to us is so different to what is actually the case it is unsettling. I suppose many feel differently, but that is how I feel.

Of course, he owes us nothing. But perhaps the word “scientific” is something of an oversimplification or a distraction in this instance. I think the fact the whole earth evolved as did humans and how we actually came to be rather than essentially creation ex nihilo would be worth an explanation… be worth some information. Sure, you don’t need to break it down to all the chemical reaction details … but just give us something. With respect, I think there is something of a false dichotomy in what you seem to be implying - that for God to give us a greater explanation than what we have now, it needs to go into all the scientific detail. It doesn’t - rather, it didn’t (the horse has indeed bolted) - just something of a general outline would’ve done perfectly fine. But we didn’t get that. Indeed, God is actually the only one that could have given us an idea … an inside scoop, a clue - something - that would’ve made us go “ahhh, I see now, okay” regarding evolution. The closest thing to that is how Genesis 1 says “let the earth and let the sea ‘bring forth’”. I suppose there might be some other little clues but nothing we can really strongly hold onto, depending how you look at it. Related to this I refer to an earlier point from Post 24

To connect with the comments about this being child like, in part I agree. But I’d reframe the key issue - for me it’s not so much “God do you love me?” but me having to wrestle with the thought “God, if you’re like this - can I actually trust you?”. My spirit says “Yes I can” but the logic of things, well …

Anyway, thanks for your comments and support regardless of all the ins and outs, appreciate it

1 Like

I should also add… that even in the case of the heliocentric view we still have to keep adding corrections even if it is for a considerably higher degree of precision. This is because of the innate instability of gravitational kinematics for more than two bodies. Even the three-body problem is a non-linear system with no general closed form solution – and thus… chaos rules!

Hi Christy,
Indeed I agree, everyone ultimately has their own path to walk, their own issues to work through and ultimately - it is up to the individuals to sort their own issues out. Having a community through such experiences is so helpful. In a way, it is strangely this community here on BioLogos that has been a significant contributing factor to me being “okay” through this crisis of faith. I met with my pastor but he came at it in a way that, hmm, was biblically circular and sadly not all that helpful (great guy n all but, yeah). I feel at times I mightn’t express how appreciative I am of being able to sound board my thoughts/struggles/questions here - but I really am. Thank you everyone.

I’ve reflected a bit on

It’s a bit like (really clunky comparison here) when people say ‘you don’t want money you want to be happy’ - some people say ‘well, yeah - but money increases my options to be happy’ (not saying I agree just using the analogy).
I feel like, honestly, I’ve gone a tad numb to the concept of love from God - I feel my mind and soul even being able to access that concept is in a room behind the door of these questions. If these questions remain, I can’t even go into the room properly to experience that love. Maybe I can look through a small, obscured window dimly (do I wait for someone to make a reference to Corinthians now, lol) but not go into the room. I feel like the key to the room is something of an answer to these questions. Just something, not the whole bang lot - although that is what I want. I covet these answers deeply, but hasn’t God put eternity in the hearts of men so that’s a good thing, “so that some might reach out to him” referencing Acts 17. I’m reaching plenty but ain’t feeling a great deal, maybe a bit (definitely remember that special moment for me re that song “Faces” outlined up thread).

I guess the hope to know God and trust him - to walk with him is why I’ve been so avidly pursuing all this - cause I don’t want there to be a block between God and I. Yet these issue are one massive block. A stumbling block I just can’t climb over or properly get around and which has come to the point now where it can not be bypassed. Like I said

I feel people might say in response to this (I always pre-empt answers, for better or worse, it’s just me)
“we can still experience God without having all the answers” … somehow though, the weight of these issues - about the character of this God being spoken of - a God who would be so okay with the kind of things I’m trying to describe, that is the issue for me. Another clunky analogy is that it feels like trying to have a relationship with a parent about who you strongly disagree how they have done certain things. True deep closeness is really hard in that scenario. And on a personal and not so conceptual level, God has let me down in differing ways over time and the sting of that and the lack of answers to prayers about it - those things actually hurt. I suppose I’d suppressed a lot of that for some time but those experiences have coalesced somewhat here (but I’m still able to hold them separately, don’t want people getting all “your own personal experiences are effecting how you’re seeing things” on me - no - I mean I can’t just totally ignore that to be humble - but it’s more than that and I find such reductionist excuse talk - crab walking away from the actual facts of the matter at hand talk - frustrating. Sorry, venting again. The ventor (I won’t start rhyming about my labor, about not being sure, no longer being able to adore, feeling poor and sore and wading through the midst of lore with candour … but I could).

Sometimes I wonder if I’m articulating myself well enough in all this - articulation has never really been my strongest gifting and I probably write more in an effort to over compensate (which can end up being counter productive I know, again - sorry moderators who have to at least try to read everything). I kind of feel only a few have grabbed the issues I raise by the horns and seen or understood it from my perspective, I don’t know - that said, a lot of people have related to some of the general sentiments expressing but I’m starting to think “Am I like the only one who thinks these things or something?”.

Anyway, thanks for your prayers - appreciate them

1 Like

I think you’re right here and in your response to me that it does come down to trust. I get it, and I’ve felt betrayed at times too… at this point I’m not sure how much of it is directed specifically at God, or how much is at those who have portrayed God in a narrow and anti-intellectual manner, priming me to hold expectations of God that were too limited in culture and time. But it’s not always possible to parse that out. Either way, it is understandable to feel the way you do, and it makes sense that feeling betrayed would cause you to ask big, difficult questions… questions that probably would not have come up or been entertained like this beforehand, which makes it feel very jarring.

4 Likes

The presumption is that the afterlife is immaterial…?

1 Like

Or rather, why are we currently held in bondage by physical laws and material constraints if it were possible to be in a place or state where we were not quite so much at the mercy of such things?

1 Like

Hi Mervin (and all),

As I’ve thought about and replied to your post, I feel like a lot of issues have come up - some new thoughts that I feel it would be really interesting to hear people’s responses to.

This is why I try and pre-empt answers usually, I actually had the thought “someone might reply about us having the Holy Spirit now” but didn’t put that in. I mean primarily canonical revelation but I suppose in this context - any clear revelation from any source or by any means that is from God about the fact we evolved. I’m not aware of God preparing mankind in anyway for this in the 1700s or even early 1800s before Darwin took his trip on the Beagle. Are you?
I’m not sure if your logic is suggesting God does somehow prepare the world by the Holy Spirit stirring in the church before certain big issues unfold in the world? I’d disagree if so … pointing to issues like Copernicus’ musings, or Darwin’s or of bacteria being spread on hands by doctors that treat the dead then the living or shouting out how the many untold horrors we’re going on behind closed doors committed by priests in more modern times?
Maybe you were just taking the opportunity to point a basic Christian fact about us having the Holy Spirit who guides us into all truth? I’m not really sure why you made the comment about the Holy Spirit and revelation.
The points above about information that God could reveal but didn’t, ppainfully (horribly) demonstrate the very uncomfortable truth that God apparently is most of the time non interventionist when it comes to getting involved in ways that would save many.

Which leads into your next point

If a teacher (God in this case) has special knowledge that could save countless many and could teach that to his pupil (humans collectively, in this scenario) but decides to hold back because he doesn’t want to be the one who

What does that show? As I’ve thought about to the logic in your point - it sadly has made me realise even more how disappointed in this God I am. If he is the kind of God who would stand by and just watch, as now fallen Adam collectively tries to solve the problems he faces … (suppressing anger) … what kind of God is that?
To try and demonstrate my point clearer - let’s say we know of a vet, a prestigious vet who has won many awards. He has a 12yo son. Would we not, if we heard that the 12yo son had deducted that, by virtue of his father not answering clearly questions about his sick dog, that he was being pushed to perform an operation on the dog himself and so tried to operate on his very unwell dog and killed him in the process - all the time while having the father in the house (maybe moving between rooms, perhaps popping out to the shops but otherwise mostly being in the house and certainly knowing what was going on). What would we as a community do to that father?? In our compassionate modern times we’d put him in prison and still feed him three times a day … but wind the clock back a few hundred years and his punishment would be far worse. Or would it? Perhaps it wouldn’t because people actually believed he wasn’t doing the wrong thing and speak of the son (gruff voice) “it was only his puppy, he needs to grow up and be strong and stop being a child. He actually almost did it - if he blocked the aorta and made an incision here instead of here little Nero would’ve made it. Perhaps on his next puppy or the next one he’ll do it. Gee I love watching him figure things out”. Meanwhile the son is traumatised, rocking back and forth in the corner and hates his father and will never touch or interact with another dog or animal - or even human for that matter, in the same way again.
The logic of what you are saying to my mind - and I’m all about logic especially here - is more siding with the community that would say to the child “you need to grow up and stop crying” rather than outright anger and disgust at the father who would let his son try and figure it out himself because he

I know that’s not what you meant or what you intended to convey but when comments are made like that, with no effort being made to understand the person and their intentions and where they were coming from - you get responses like this. I feel somewhat like that about your reply to me - like you haven’t taken the time to really understand where I’m coming from and just picked out a few points to disagree with me about. Maybe I’m wrong on that.

Anyway, obviously you were trying to express how God can’t just give us all the answers and to get at the idea “what kind of people would we be then?” If he did. Indeed we’d be babies, foolish dependent and not growing up into our potential babies who have all our needs met. And God wants more for us as a human race than that. I get that - it’s a point worth making, sure. But any tone of ‘he lets us figure it out, whata guy, whata teacher - delights in our brains being used in the process’ leaves very much wide open someone being able to point out “well don’t mind the untold suffering on the other side of that equation in by God not intervening. The horrible deaths caused by stupid doctors who wouldn’t listen to nurses who’d cottonod on there was a connection between touching the dead and the living, the millions who died in unspeakable pain before penicillin was discovered (I recall the person who discovered it was Christian, which is great, but still - it was scientific method and not divine revelation that discovered it … all the while God knew about it but let us figure it out) etc”

Obviously I’m not a fan of the “he lets us use our brains rather than gives us all the answers” argument. It only goes so far before it falls off a cliff. Perhaps the underlying idea with this is how a parent will not give all the answers to their child but let them figure it out, smiling as they do. But that parent would also grab hold of their shoulder if they were about to walk out on a road or quickly rush in if they’re about to drink poison, or if the child were older and say drunk and wanted to drive in their car - that parent would do what is necessary to make sure they don’t get the keys even if it means getting punched in the face. If we look at human history though … we do not have a parent like this. We walk out onto the road, we get hit. If a starving orphan on the streets of London in the 1700s ate what was very clearly a badly infected bit of meat and later died - cold and alone, because of that, God didn’t intervene. The hope though - the biblical teaching is that that orphan, like poor Lazarus, is in heaven, comforted and loved. And so maybe there’s something in that - maybe there’s some horrible spiritual rule Satan has worked out with God (like he did in Job 1 - and I note here, seriously who is that guy that he can do that like he did in Job 1, to lead God’s thoughts and conclusions??! It’s annoying, and we can’t reverse them back. Talk about special privileges! Thankfully we have Jesus as advocate who can reverse Satan’s little schemes and plans [Luke 22:31-32] but still)
Anyway, back to my point (feel like Paul here) - maybe there is some horrible spiritual rule where the way things are as agreed between God and Satan Job 1 style is that God will not intervene and man will work things out themselves and that is why it is so vitally, unspeakably important why we love each other and why God so talks about this - because it is by this means and by means of becoming a man himself that he can express his love or else he is ‘breakin the rules’ of the game set up.
I don’t know - obviously I’m spitballing ideas here - that one kind of makes sense to me - I guess there are all kinds of reasons we could point out as to why that mightn’t be best but then, there’d be a lot in that too (and it doesn’t really matter what us humans who experience the game - granted Jesus did too which is amazing - but it doesn’t matter what we, the clay think really, does it? [rhetorical question].
I don’t know though - when you throw evolution into that equation it all gets a bit too beyond the pale for me. Not really - I’m determined to try and work things out, to find truth - to find a frame for understanding the world that actually fits the picture but to quote Bono “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for”.

Evidently, God indeed is not like the information expending vending machine you describe Mervin. I think the above discussion touches on all kinds of themes about what God may or may not be like. In many ways, we don’t really know do we? We can think we know but when we consider all of human history and the various versions of God and gods that differ so much across time and place … it really has to make you wonder. If the Chinese had come to the same rough conclusions about God as the Europeans, that would be helpful. They haven’t. As didn’t, say the ancient Myans versus the ancient Australian Aboriginals.
Using Occam’s razor (and I’ll get to that @mitchellmckain - there’s some interesting things to unpack from what you say, I’ve been thinking about it) against all that … the conclusion is unsettling. The frame I was speaking about, the one for how we understand everything in the picture of humans and our history becomes more of a mirror

Aye Laura. It would seem that the material is the only possible breeding ground for the sublime.

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to be obtuse - or to dance around other claims of canon completeness of the biblical revelation now in hand. It was just an offhand, but completely simple and sincere conjecture that revelation should continue - and this could be coupled with the concurrent conviction that any new revelation will not be found to be at odds with existing scriptures properly understood.

Picking up on your last speculation first … I’m sorry to have to confess you aren’t entirely wrong about that. Your posts have been quite long, and I freely admit that I skimmed through them rather hastily - not looking for points to disagree with; but instead looking for any places where I fancied I might have some useful response. I’m sorry you found my response so inadequate - but I cannot apologize for its content because I was and remain sincere in all I said. Your counter-example of the prestigious vet who cuts his son loose on the poor family pet is rather heart-rending, and my heart would go out to anyone who only sees God through that kind of lens. The fact also remains that anybody who is always rescued from any mistakes they make is having their opportunity for growth aborted by a highly inferior teacher. There is a wide world of possibility between these two extremes (complete neglect or complete rescue), and I can appreciate and identify with the exasperation felt by those who see way too much terrible stuff happening and can’t help but see it as neglect. So I’m not pushing you or anybody toward simply shrugging this off as a “well - God must just be using this for a teaching moment for me” kind of a dismissal. While I may raise the possibility of some greater plan of God’s as an occasional suggestion, I’m usually pretty understanding of the need to just passionately shake one’s fist toward the heavens - and have and will have my own occasion for such questioning as well.

Whatever else you may think of the adequacy or lack thereof of my attentions to your questions, please know that my serious and sincere prayers are with you and for you, and there is no flippancy whatsoever intended in any of my responses here. If there was something above that I passed over and shouldn’t have, feel free to call my attention back to it.

1 Like

Thank you Mervin, I feel a bit for you moderators having to read so much! I can totally understand where you’re coming from you having described it. I shouldn’t have been so touchy.
I will really try and make it a point not to write as much in my replies now - only my next summary part on this thread will be another long one (I might have some ‘medium’ sized posts still haha).
Yes, the spectrum between being rescued and growing from mistakes is an interesting concept. It’d be an interesting exercise to comb through the Bible with that theme in mind. Certainly, God is slow to anger and quick to love and this would come into it. I suppose I just need to accept the painful and somewhat confusing idea that God has all kinds of knowledge that would and could have helped the human race that he hasn’t shared but left us to discover. It’s an interesting whole area to think about.
Anyhow, appreciate your thoughtful reply and apologise for you having to take the time out to have to write it. Your time in important. There I guess are a lot of emotions for me around all this - maybe I’m a little more sensitive than I might be otherwise - but I’ll lighten up!
Thank you for your prayers also.

1 Like

Write as much as you need or want to. Just because I may not painstakingly pore over every word does not mean that others here aren’t (or that I won’t come back and do more of that at a later time). But that said, it is good to be aware of a general principle that most ordinary people, most of the time, (mods included) do have finite attention spans after which eyes begin to glaze over. Yet people also occasionally revisit posts later out of renewed interest or opportunity. And in my case it is usually a pleasure - not a chore. As volunteers here, we moderators are usually here because we enjoy this sort of thing. So I don’t see it so much as an obligatory compulsion. And I’m pretty sure I speak for most if not all the others in saying so. Thanks for continuing to share your thoughts with us. And if you were in a competition to write the longest tomes around here, I don’t think you’re in blue ribbon territory yet.

3 Likes

I’m laughing, that was hilarious - to think that other people write posts even longer than my longest ones :joy: My goodness. Ahh, that was a good laugh. I’m intrigued by who these fellow tome makers are. Nonetheless, I am aware I’ve got to tone down the tomes

1 Like

I have to admit, I usually skip or just scan posts that extent more that a page on my iPad. I figure long posts are more interested in publishing than conversation, plus it makes it hard to respond to 10 points.

I’d like you to meet @gbob. He’ll give you a run for your money where being thorough is concerned.

1 Like