Eternal suffering in hell isn't in the Bible

Ahhh good ol Jw Witnesses. (Only a joke)

Here are some verses concerning how Edom will be burning forever and forever. Smoke rising forever.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biblegateway.com/passage/%3Fsearch=Isaiah%2B34:5-15&version=NASB&interface=amp

Yet we know Edom is not still on fire to this day.

So even here, a eternal fire does not literally mean eternal fire. It’s war talk , it’s justice talk, and it has a pattern in scripture.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thorough reply, @mitchellmckain.

So am I. :+1:t2:

Fair enough. Others do, or interpret them other ways and make well reasoned and researched arguments for alternative readings. Even though I ultimately find these arguments unconvincing, I recognise the fact that they are they find enough ambiguity for them to press a case for annihilation. I always recognise that plenty of the descriptors that Jesus uses are metaphorical and abstract (worm, fire, outer darkness, gnashing teeth) and so could be understood as hyperbole or otherwise. Again, that is ambiguity, IMO.

John Stott (in)famously said that annihilation can’t be ruled out as a genuine option. And, I think I’m inclined to agree with him. It can’t be categorically ruled out as an option, even if, as I said, I personally reject that option in the final analysis.

On this, we are on the same page. If I am honest, I find annihilation morally and philosophically lacking for the same reasons why I would frantically oppose the death penalty if I were an atheist. If the deceased has no recollection of the justice they have been served, whilst the wronged must bear their entire life the implications of a crime committed against them, is that justice? Others may and have disagreed. Personally, I can’t square that circle.

Yet again, I recognise that others cannot square the circle of ETC either and find it equally morally and philosophically lacking. As a result, I, myself, advocate for a live and let live approach on secondary issues like this one. The ETC-er and the Annhilationist both agree that the fate of the lost is grim, tragic, and something you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. It is the nature of that fate on which they disagree.

At the end of the day, we can both heartily affirm the line of the Nicene Creed that states that Christ “will return to judge the living and the dead” and that’s good enough for me. And more than can be said for the universalist, IMHO. :wink:

A pleasure as always. Blessings, L

I appreciate your discussion. However, if we have Christians judged by Christ at the “bema seat” to get reward according to their actions, as Paul seems to say, then I imagine that those who are not saved in the universalist position (such as with George Macdonald’s ultimate reconciliation) are judged the same. In the case of those who have not repented, they’re sent to punishment until they repent.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Good point.

Hi Randy, thanks for coming back to me. Yes, that does seem fair. If a person holds to the ‘hell with an exit’ position, then they could affirm the line of the creed too. Although I think it is fair to say that it probably stretches what the authors of the creed had in mind for that line more so than annihilationism. Is that fair?

If it doe, the question then becomes, does ‘Hell with an exit’ universalism stretch it too far?

EDIT: Thanks for the article @Randy, I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

Genesis is allegorical from… the beginning. Lazarus and Dives is an allegory using afterlife motifs whilst having nothing whatsoever to do with the afterlife. Again, how would anybody, from Jesus on down, know?

So you agree with that ‘leader’?

And as none of us were present hearing Jesus’ Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek, seeing His facial expression and have a full understanding of His epistemology or our own, His words come to us edited multiple times.

Are Satan and his demons demiurges? From eternity? For infinity? Or just Terran?

Interesting @ManiacalVesalius, could I have some precise references, please?

No, my point is that I disagree now. But at the time I was a kid and believed it because that’s what I was taught.

3 Likes

I hoped so!

2 Likes

Psalm of Solomon 13:11; 2 Maccabees 7:14; 4 Ezra 7:61.

But keep in mind that there were also plenty of texts in Second Temple Judaism that spoke of eternal fire and torment. E.g. 1 Enoch 22, Judith 16:17.

Genesis is definitely not a mere allegory, please refer to the series I linked to. Certainly, Eridu Genesis and the Epic of Gilgamesh among other ancient near eastern creation stories weren’t pure allegories. As for how Jesus would know, this is how Jesus knew anything about the afterlife - divine knowledge.

I didnee say it was. And what divine knowledge did Jesus have?

Thanks. I’ll check these out.

I own a collection of Pseudepigraphic texts and I also have a copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls so feel free to send me any and all references you have.

Also be interested in any references to church fathers on the subject too. :+1:

Whenever someone says something has been has been misunderstood by X group and was a commonly held belief by Y group I always have the same response: “Show me the primary sources!” :wink:

Sure, a good reminder. STJ was not theologically monolithic.

Actually, “hell” is not in the Bible. Gehenna is. Sheol is. Hades is. Tartarus is. The lake of fire is. So…any attempts to equate “hell” with any of these is a matter of guessing or clarification of definition.

1 Like

Hell is simple the English translation for Gehenna based on Anglo Saxon references. When scholars, or almost anyone in general use the word Hell they are using it for Gehenna, as the place of torment and not not simply the grave.

2 Likes

Okay, @mitchellmckain and @Klax … I think we can safely leave behind the topic of what anybody thinks anybody else (including Jesus) could know. Too much vitriol - that starts to make this thread look like the OP topic itself. I deleted all the snark above.

4 Likes

My own take on the topic, which I’ve published over at Rethinking Hell. My author page:

Chrisloewen

3 Likes