Entropy & Evolution

Gotcha. I lost track of who I was talking to jumping from thread to thread. :grin:

Hi Dylan, the noteworthy fact about the movement of other galaxies is not that they are moving away from us. It is that they are moving away from us in a systematic way. Namely, the larger the distance to us, the larger the speed at which they recede. This is called Hubble’s law. This law implies the expansion of the Universe, from which the age of the Universe can be determined with cosmological models.

Now, if our own solar system would show any such systematic expansion, that would be a big question mark for astronomers. But it does not. The motions of all objects in our solar system (planets, moons, asteroids) are completely understood in terms of gravity. In fact, it’s understood so well that astronomers even used the motions of icy asteroids to predict the existence of a ninth planet about 600 times farther than the distance between the Earth and the Sun!

If you were studying physics at a university, Hubble’s law would not be new information for you. So may I be as rude to ask why your pseudonym contains the term physicist?

1 Like

That is the great thing about science. As new information comes in, the numbers are adjusted to reflect the better understanding. As to the rate of movement of the moon, that has been well explained, an can be easily googled. And while it has known limitations, dating with K-Ar is quite accurate when the proper conditions are met. Broaden the base of your reading beyond AIG and ICR, and you will get a better perspective.

talk.origins CD013

[…] the rate of the moon moving away […]

talk.origins CE110. Deeper link here.

Poe’s law. ;^)

2 Likes

Snap, I just did this in another thread. I wonder if they’re the same person.

Hi Dylan
Could you please quote the first and second law of thermodynamics, just to make sure that I understand you correctly.

@Jan_de_Boer

Melodrama …

First law of thermodynamics: When energy passes, as work, as heat, or with matter, into or out from a system, its internal energy changes in accord with the law of conservation of energy. Equivalently, perpetual motion machines of the first kind are impossible.

Second law of thermodynamics: In a natural thermodynamic process, the sum of the entropies of the interacting thermodynamic systems increases. Equivalently, perpetual motion machines of the second kind are impossible.

Third law of thermodynamics: The entropy of a system approaches a constant value as the temperature approaches absolute zero.[2] With the exception of non-crystalline solids (glasses) the entropy of a system at absolute zero is typically close to zero, and is equal to the logarithm of the multiplicity of the quantum ground states.

CONCLUSION?:
Over the life of the Universe, gravity defeats entropy LOCALLY, with Gravity providing the necessary energy by creating Suns out of clouds of gas, and Suns driving ecosystems in local portions of a cold, cold universe.

Hi Dylan, Thank you very much. Greetings Jan