Eco-Friendly vs. Hygiene: Hand Drying

For those who may need a refresher:

With how many times I wash my hands (which is a lot…), if I followed the example in that article’s video I would spend 20% of my day washing my hands.

Yeah it turns out I haven’t been a doing a very good job. I’ve heard 30 seconds is a good amount of time to spend scrubbing, including reps in all the positions. I guess that makes it like brushing our teeth, where the recommendation is two minutes.

1 Like

I suppose we’re doing better than those who just get their hands wet and then walk out (I’ve seen this more than once!). I’ve got the tooth brushing thing down, at least.

I can relate to the wet and walk approach. My old philosophy of washing hands was to increase my body’s defenses by exposing myself to as many germs as possible.

1 Like

That is something I, too, have thought about. Unfortunately, sometimes we catch something very bad.

1 Like

Me too, thanks to sonocare. Maybe we need ultrasonic hand washers.

1 Like

That reminds of the sonic showers in Star Trek.

Depends on the virus. They’re good against SARS and MERS, so probably against SARS-2 as well. Also Ebola and Zika. Not so good against norovirus or polio (at least unless you increase the alcohol concentration).

3 Likes

I am seeing recipes for homemade hand sanitizer using vodka and aloe vera (and essential oils of course!) Since vodka usually starts out at 40%, it would be watered down even more and pretty useless by the time it was diluted. You can get stronger isopropryl alcohol or denatured ethanol, which should work, but the denatured stuff usually has such a bitter taste that I wouldn’t want to eat chips after using it. I doubt that the residual methanol would be enough to be toxic once dried, but it could be a consideration also for transdermal (skin) absorption.

1 Like

You must be in Texas… :wink:
https://twitter.com/NSSteph/status/1235639988273860608

1 Like

IMG_0065

4 Likes