Does theology of massive extinctions exists?

The Bible is not scientific at all. The majority of scientific claims it makes is wrong. Scientific and historical accommodation versus concordism.

The Bible has nothing to say about gravity, evolution, and ect…

In Bible God are stop Sun on the sky, made rocks fall from sky, split Red Sea, kill trees by His words and many others. In the light of that I can’t say that God doesn’t have anything to do with this asteroid movement. Not with my knowledge about Bible and the world.

Some times ago I asked how I should understood view of Evolutionary Creationists and I get the answer, that this is no separate view on evolution of life, but rather on religious understanding of it. I hope I don’t misunderstood the answers. Using this as one of basics for my reasoning I conclude that since massive extensions are very important part of life history on Earth they must have some religious meaning. I hope these is now a little bit clearer.

Excuse me, I don’t understand what you said. Previously you said

so I inquired that you claim that is something in Bible about massive extinctions.

I want to ask another question. Do you think that it should be development of any doctrine beyond what you find in Scripture about it? I hope answer to this will help me with understanding of your position.

These have only indirect link to my question and answering them is just a separate topic. Also I’m don’t sure that I’m proper person to answer them, so I allow myself to left this problems where they lie.

In Gospel about God watching every sparrow. Why something so big in comparison to sparrow would be beyond His interest?

Indeed! In fact this demonstrates that God’s role in the creation of life is that of a shepherd rather than a watchmaker. The watchmaker understanding of God coupled with massive extinctions would mean that God is quite a bumbler who periodically has to go back to the drawing board, because He doesn’t know what He is doing. But it is quite natural that shepherd might have to put down a portion of his herd to protect the other sheep.

Life is a self-organizing process where living organisms make their own choices and find their own solutions to the challenges of life. This is fundamentally different from the design of machines by a watchmaker. God may have some input at times in the role of shephered, but most of the time He just has to put His foot down, saying “no more of that,” and put a stop to such developments when they prove to do more harm than good.

The watchmaker conception of God comes from Deism, while the shepherd conception of God comes from the Bible. The Deist notion comes from nineteenth century science where everything looked deterministic with Laplace’s demon and all. So they thought God must have just wound up the machine and was sitting back to watch how it all went. But modern science has changed all that. Quantum physics and chaotic dynamic threw physical determinism right out the window and the antiquated notions of Deism should go in the bin right along with them.

Perverting nature to fit faith is immature. Faith has to humble itself before nature.

My position is that the Bible does not talk about extinctions. My position is that the world has free will. My position is that God does not intervene and cause volcanos to explode or cause asteroids to hit earth and so on. I have no actual biblical or scientific reason to believe that. I find it a silly notion.

So you don’t believe God is at all involved in events and our affairs. Your God just watches and does nothing?

God is very active in our affairs. He just does not design stars to explode in a certain spot that that they become a planet in a certain rotation that gets hit at a specific second so that debris gets flung off in the right direction and pulled into multiple planets orbits to alter its path so that the earth will turned in the exact position millions of years later so that when it hits it causes a mass extinction.

Unless you believe God just like locates an asteroid in space and has angels guide it towards earth.

Because if you believe God designed the asteroid that hit earth to wipe out dinosaurs as part of his plan to cultivate humanity than it means that he either used a angel to guide it or either it means going back billions of years he was setting up planets and moons billions of miles away to have some kind of impact to send debris out way to hit earth at the right moment. It would mean he somehow influenced our ancient squirrel like ancestors to be in the right spot to have evolved in the right way so that it eventually becomes us. It’s essentially just another version of Intelligent Design.

If you have ever looked at my reasons for belief you will find that I believe God left a window for His involvement in events when events are not physically determined. And yes that does include the trajectories of asteroids because of the mathematics of three body problems. Whenever you have three or more bodies effecting each other gravitationally the equations become non-linear and susceptible to the slightest fluctuations. No I do not believe God controls the trajectories of all asteroids but yes I believe God can affect them without any alteration of the laws of nature AND without gong back millions of years either.

1 Like

Then to me it’s like what I mentioned. So no I don’t believe God interacts with humanity in that way. I think he interacts with us in a very different way. The way we see in scripture of his spirit influencing writers and speaking to people through the prophets snd showing his power through things like laying on of hands of the 13 and so on. By his power , his word, becoming flesh and dwelling among us. By reaching out to humanity and so on including supernatural events that breaks the laws of the world. Such as raising the dead, and by giving people visions of the future and so on.

So my God is very much interactive with his creation. But not in the intelligent design types of way being expressed.

No reply necessary. I just stated my reaction to the question.

1 Like

To answer a “why” question would require you to know the mind of God. Which is unknowable. We know species have gone extinct. That is a fact.

A mass extinction is NOT an intelligent design method but quite the opposite. Not only that but it is in complete agreement with the way the Bible says God does things.

Incorrect. You are still thinking according to the physics of the nineteenth century with Laplace’s demon before quantum physics and chaotic dynamics. We now know Laplace was wrong and that we live in a universe of the butterfly effect where a seemingly insignificant fluctuation (some which have no hidden variables determining their outcome) can be amplified to catastrophic proportions not just in the weather but in just about anything because the instability of non-linear equations are everywhere.

No.

It is a version of ID. But feel free to believe what you want and nothing I said disagrees with a butterfly effect… it’s just disagreeing with your ID version of it.

That’s right you are a creationist believing God only does things with magical spells and black magic rights of blood sacrifices. I should have remembered that.

I don’t believe in any kind of intelligent design. In fact, I believe that design is incompatible with the very meaning of the word “life.” The only thing that design can create is machines.

A shepherd culling his flock is not design any more than it was design for God to wipe out mankind with a flood as the Bible says He did.

1 Like

How amusing.

So you believe God orchestrated the meteor that hit earth wiping out lots of species to open up the pathway for humanity? I’ll try to phrase more specific questions to help keep you on track.