Does the Bible really say Jesus was God?

Bishop Nicholas Loses His Cool ::: St. Nicholas Center :slight_smile:

That story about St. Nicholas punching Arius is almost certainly just a legend albeit a popular one; Arius wasn’t a bishop and wouldn’t have been at the council of Nicea. (Nicholas, the bishop of Myra, was a very good and decent man.)

I saw that it was likely apocryphal before making the joke. It can still be funny even if it didn’t happen,
in theory anyway, right? (Kind of like how Jesus could reference Jonah even if Jonah was more of a parable than a historical account…)

Very much appreciated! And thanks to everyone else for their kind comments! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Multiple explanations of this disturbing story have been offered, not just the Qumran one. I have access to Academic Search Premier, and found lots of papers on the subject, such as Divine Judgment against Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1–11): A Stock Scene of Perjury and Death by J. Albert Harrill in the Journal of Biblical Literature.

We can go into all this on another thread, but my point is that the Holy Spirit is a person, and it’s a very serious matter to lie to the Holy Spirit and cheat the Christian community. And lying to the Holy Spirit is equated to lying to God. (By Luke, anyway.)

1 Like

And he brought me a gift last Christmas Eve, albeit under a bit of an alias…

3 Likes

@beaglelady

I look forward to that discussion!

I have always been struck (pun intended) by the fact the death of the husband and wife is expressed in the subjunctive mood: “he died/she died” . . . the actor not being identified. Maybe it was two bricks that fell from above, one was called the “Holy” brick, and the other the “Spirit” brick.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.