Does Quantum Mechanics Disprove an All-Knowing God?

Why would you rely on a chiropractor for any information at all about QM or neurobiology?

Every atom is governed by Quantum Mechanical processes. One of the most heavily studied quantum mechanical systems is the human brain. Every firing of every neuron and every connection between neurons (synapses) is at its base a quantum mechanical chemical system with truly random firing of neurons as electrons change states according to well know probabilities of quantum mechanics. God can no more know what electron is moving from one energy level to another than which neutron is going to decay in a proton, electron and antinuetrino at a nuclear power plant. A thought in a human brain IS a quantum mechanical process that is at its core random - predictiable but NOT a priori knowable before it happens.

Brother is same. Saw him Sunday. Was more interested in the Jets game than conversing with me.

Certainly not, (I would not even trust a chiropractor doing chiropractory on me, as I consider it more as alternative medicine than medicine). But the book I mentioned is not about chiropractor. It is about the functioning of the human brain - neurology. Chapter 1 has a very good description of the quantum mechanical nature of neurons and synapses, which ARE quantum mechanical systems with all properties of quantum systems have - like adherence to Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

We don’t seem to be communicating here. Yes, I know the book is about the brain and QM. But the book was written by a chiropractor. I’m asking why you’re using a book written by a chiropractor as an authoritative resource about the brain and QM. Based on what you’ve previously written, you seem to have some rather fuzzy notions about QM, and I don’t see how this kind of author is equipped to clarify them.

I have worked on quantum mechanical systems for 35 years. My quantum mechanic knowledge is not fuzzy.

@Patrick

Sorry that your brother was not more interested in talking.

First of all you seem to say that reciting a poem or doing math are indeterminate. That is BS.

No one knows for sure what I will think before I think it although scientists say today that they can tell what I am thinking because thinking based on activation of patterns in the brain. If may brain is hooked up to the sensors and if they can see how my brain lights up when I am thinking about certain things in the past, they can tell when I am thinking about them in the present, so they can read my mind, at least after a fashion (under certain conditions.) However this is enough to indicate that your theory of the brain is wrong. The brain is not a quantum mechanical process, anymore than DNA is a quantum process.

How can something be at its core random, which means unpredictable, yet predictable? You use the two dollar word "apriori’ which doesn’t make any sense here to me. No one said that people know what people think before they thought it, although some materialists believed that everything was at least in theory predictable, I guess before QP.

Nuclear fission causes atoms to split and producing much energy. The quantum particles decay and change form through the quantum process, but the match that starts the fire is the fission, QP. The brain does not work electrons moving from one level to another unpredictably. The brain works like computer, coding information into the system, and being able to manipulate that information within the system. Sometimes of course the learned information is incorrect, which can cause glitches in the system.

That doesn’t tell me much. Anyone who uses a computer works on a quantum mechanical system – that doesn’t mean they know anything about QM. All I have to judge is what you’ve written here, and what you’ve written about QM has been vague and seemingly incorrect. It doesn’t help that you’re citing a chiropractor as an authority on physics, especially one who (I now see) rates his own entry in the Encyclopedia of American Loons.

Didn’t say that -said that the firing of each neuron (which one and when) is a quantum mechanical process influenced greatly by local chemistry.

DNA is not a quantum process but DNA mutations are. At a fundamental level a photon hits an electron changes its energy level - chemical bond is broken - an A is changed to a G in the DNA
Fundamental basis of skin cancer.

Predictable as in giving the probability distributions of possibilities, unpredictable at the individual level atom, nuerons. A lump of uranium - I can predict that half of atoms will decay but I can’t know which ones will decay and when.

Yes, but you said God can. I am arguing that He can’t. Nobody or no device can.

Yes it does.

@Patrick,

I did not say that. The closest thing I said is that God could read our thoughts as we have them, which is verified by the science I discussed.

But he can’t read our thoughts before we have them, right? So how can He be all-knowing? I am fine with him knowing every minute detail about the past and everything about the present within the certainty constraints but as far as the future, he only knows possibilities or probabilities.

The many worlds/many minds interpretation is just that - an interpretation of a Quantum Mechanical System. All the worlds are assigned a probability and then upon observation the many worlds collapses to the one real world at that instant. Then at the next instant, you have infinite worlds again which collapses to one - the actual real world.

The Sun is a quantum mechanical system. There is a finite probability at this moment all atoms one the left side of the sun will decay simultaneously. I don’t know that that won’t happen until it doesn’t happen. All I can say is the most likely probability is that a similar number of atoms will fuse as did yesterday and the sun’s output will be very close to yesterday’s. I can predict tomorrow’s sun’s output but without certainty.

No, that’s not correct. There is no collapse of the wave function in the Many Worlds interpretation; in fact, that’s the whole point. In MWI, there is nothing special about observation, and observers are just as much part of the wave function as anything other physical thing. When there is an observation with multiple possible outcomes, in MWI they all occur.

1 Like

Wave functions are not real. It is the particle that is real and behaves according to quantum mechanics.

Do you have any references to the primary literature that treat either the firing of neurons or mutation as distinctly quantum phenomena? There are several biological processes with at least suggestive evidence for non-classical behavior (see here for a summary), but I haven’t seen any evidence for either neurons or mutation.

But God is neither a body nor a device. If you’re going to posit a transcendent, nonphysical being, you can’t then assume that it will obey the laws of physics.

1 Like

Regarding the QM nature of neurons and genetic mutations, I don’t have knowledge of the primary literature as my area of QM is in the photonic device area and the area of quantum cryptography. There is a lot of layman literature though. Scientific America has had a lot of articles on this subject over the years.

But see that is the point. The universe is a quantum mechanical system in which the whole universe and everything in it behaves the laws of quantum mechanics. So nowhere in the universe could you know the future with 100% certainty. So is God inside the universe or not. If He is inside, doesn’t it mean that He is not all-knowing. If He is outside, well it doesn’t matter because He has not impact on this universe. He could be there, like the multiverses theory postulate but like the multiverse, the universe looks the same and behaves the same regardless of whether He is there is not.

Suppose I write a novel, and in this novel the world behaves well-defined physical laws. I exist outside the novel. Is it fair to conclude that I don’t matter to the novel?

I am trying to talk reality here. Real things, Real life. Real physics. Real chemistry, Real biology. Using all of the knowledge we have acquired. Of course the human mind can imagine anything. But at some point we have to translate that abstraction to what is real.

That doesn’t answer my question. By your logic, I would not matter to the novel I created. That’s obviously wrong. Why should your logic apply to a world God makes but not to a world I make?

The real science you’re talking about describes the interaction of physical entities. Why would you expect it to tell you anything about the interaction (if any exists) with nonphysical entities (if any exist)?

Because there is no evidence that any abstraction that you have in your mind actually exists.

@Patrick

God knows all what is, all what was, and all what might be. That is all-knowing. God does not know that which is NOT yet until it IS.
God works with us and wants us to work with God for the benefit of all. God does not want to work against us, but wants us all to work together. God is a good Leader, not a Dictator.

Non-believers seem to be of two minds. They want God to control and eliminate that which is evil, yet they do not want God to control and discipline them. God works through Love and the Holy Spirit to guide and support the good, and discourage and discipline the evil which means all of us. We can either accept this or reject it; work with God’s Goodness or go our own selfish way.