Do Evolutionary Theory And Scripture Contradict Each Other?

Those two verses are not mutually exclusive.
@pevaquark

@cwhenderson Why do you feel the need to modify the Bible to accommodate Evolution? The ways you add it in seem very much to be “reading (things) into scripture” (something I am not keen on people doing…even [and especially] young earth creationists).

Evolution does not seem to be correct enough (at all) that the Scriptures should be modified to agree with it.

(@jpm
@Christy)

@pevaquark[quote=“pevaquark, post:140, topic:36218”]
You just come in here and completely hand wave one single Scripture that somehow can mean you get to reject everything we’ve said previously.
[/quote]

Peace. I was just wondering people’s thoughts on this verse.

What have you said previously that I was hitherto “unable” to reject???

I can’t expect you to engage the scientific evidence about a recent creation or @gbrooks9 and his beautiful picture of measuring ice cores back hundreds of thousands of years that show no global flood either 4,000 years ago.

Sorry, I’m just a little confused in that we actually read a ton of stuff into the text when we read Genesis. All of us, especially YECs like yourself.

• Like anytime you imagine the Earth as a sphere, and the firmament as the atmosphere, or the sun in the center of our solar system and the stars super far away not in a fixed dome.
  • And then we go even further and we read ‘no death before the fall’ into the text.
  • We read ‘no people outside the garden’ into the text.
  • We read a lot into the text that isn’t even there.
  • We read that God instantaneously poofed the trees into existence (despite not being there when the Garden was being made presumably on day 6), yet the text says the earth produced vegetation with their seeds.
  • We read that the moon is actually a lesser light, despite not being a light at all.
  • We read that Adam was supposed to die on the day he eats of the tree (what did God mean? surely God didn’t mean the plain reading here)

Was Adam really made from the dust of the ground? The text says yeah obviously so then we can ask why the mineral components of our bodies are so different than the mineral components of your average soil. Where’d all the carbon come from, I’d like to know. Incidentally, since the bulk of soil carbon is introduced to the earth from the decay of plant and animal matter, the “dust” from which God supposedly formed the first human body would have contained much less carbon even than it does today (which is still way less than the amount present in organic life forms like us). Not to mention that several common soil compounds would kill us were they present in our bodies at the same level they are in the earth’s crust.

Here’s a nice little list of plain reading contradictions as well:

Before we go further, why do EC’s like yourself (correct me if I’m wrong) seem to think that this is such a convincing argument???

If God was using a figurative interpretation of the word “day” here, why do you say that means he didn’t use a literal interpretation of “day” on the creation days? That strikes me as poor logic…
@pevaquark

@pevaquark

One More thing:
The Scriptures also say: “The wages of sin is death.” Since Adam sinned (by disobeying God), He incurred the wages of that: death.

What kind of death (e.g: cellular death etc.)???
@pevaquark

What other people would there have been?

Nowhere do I see anything against this in the Genesis account (if it is there, please show me [because I do not want to proceed in error if that is, indeed, where I am])
@pevaquark

@pevaquark
Your wording confuses me a bit on this one…

@J.E.S

The question of who they would have been is answered by "who did Cain marry? Who did the rest of Adam’s children marry? Who lived in the city founded by Cain?

The text does not say that the lesser light IS the moon at all (as usual, my "correct me if I’m wrong stance is enacted).

@gbrooks9
Cain married his sister (and the rest of Adam and Eve’s Children must have married their siblings). As the text says: “And he (Adam) had other sons and daughters.”

You’re funny. The plain reading is that he will die on that day. Like as in literally dead gone. You aren’t even reading the text literally. And changing the word day in Genesis 3, yes it would imply that gee, maybe those days in Genesis 1 weren’t literal days then.

Who was Cain so afraid of? All of Adam and Eve’s thousands of kids that were really bad sinners that got kicked out of the Garden?

And I suppose this:

And since you post very quickly:
Day 3 of Genesis 1 says trees
Genesis 2 says no shrubs then the pop up. But when did God make the Garden, when he made man? So that means God made the trees again on day 6. Same with the birds that it says he made again in the Garden on day 6. But Genesis 1 says birds on day 5.

And the lesser light rules over the night. I wonder what light you see in the nighttime that rules over the night like the sun does in the daytime.

I mean all of these with love in my heart.

@pevaquark
I explained this in my post about “The wages of sin is death.” Also (I don’t know, but I’ll say if I find out), is the word for day in Genesis 3 different from “yom?” I would be very curious on that one… If one knows just about anything about linguistics, one would know that while one word that has different meanings in one language (as in “day” in English), the other meanings may have very different words in another language.

@pevaquark

There you go! Reading things in…That’s not even taking the text literally.

Seriously, though. The “lesser light” could encompass the STARS and, perhaps, the moon.

@pevaquark

To my theological understanding, the world was perfect before the fall. The “Garden of Eden” would simply have been the place in the world where God placed Adam (and ultimately Eve), from whence their offspring would settle the rest of the (perfect) earth. The Garden was also where he placed the special trees of “Life” and “Knowledge.” These trees were special to the point that they were guarded by the angel, even after the fall (where Adam and Eve were driven out of the Garden into the now-not-perfect world).

That’s my 2 cent’s worth (assuming I interpreted your quickly-typed post correctly)

@pevaquark,
Regarding Cain:
Not quite. Adam And Eve may have had thousands and thousands of children and grandchildren (after leaving the garden) at this time, who may have settled elsewhere. I mean, Cain may have been hundreds and hundreds of years old by the time he killed Able!

I don’t feel the need to modify the Bible at all! I feel the need to interpret it differently than you do. I believe that in areas not addressed in detail in the Bible, it is reasonable to use our ability to discover clues left in the heavens, rocks, trees, and genomes (and ice cores, George!) for more information on creation.

34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. (Matthew 22:34-37 ESV)

I think it is evident that God wishes us to use the intellect He gave us to continuously pursue knowledge of what He made. I regret that “evolution does not seem to be correct enough” to you, but I assure you that the lack is not in the supporting evidence.

1 Like