Do Evolutionary Theory And Scripture Contradict Each Other?

@J.E.S

So… you are a YEC because you are willing to wait - - even posthumously !? - - for the inevitable evidence that dinosaurs and humans co-existed?

2 Likes

My post in regards to that should be interpreted in light of why today’s dinosaurs may be harder to find. Nonetheless, thank you for mentioning this.

Some of those anatomical features (especially the legs in reference to where they connect to the body) are present on the Ta Prohm temple stegosaurus carving!
@T_aquaticus

As mentioned before, finding a modern dinosaur does not put the age of dinosaur fossils in doubt.

@gbrooks9

More circular reasoning. We don’t know that Loch Ness was created long after the marine reptiles went extinct…but if there is indeed a great marine reptile living there, your timeline is wrong (sorry to say).

There is already a great deal of good evidence, but even better evidence may be coming in the future. Suffice to say, I probably won’t have to wait posthumously if anything comes up any time soon…

Myths and legends are not good evidence.

That’s why I tend to stick with the artifacts.
@T_aquaticus

Artifacts with pictures of myths and legends are not good evidence.

1 Like

@Blessings to you, @J.E.S… your sentence is the perfect statement of circular reality!

“Suffice to say, I probably won’t have to wait posthumously if anything comes up any time soon…”

As to your renewed dismissal of my summary of facts as “circular reasoning”:

You write: “More circular reasoning. We don’t know that Loch Ness was created long after the marine reptiles went extinct…”

Can you be a little more specific? The articles cited describe the formation of the Loch as due to

“Quaternary glaciation, also known as the Pleistocene glaciation” … from 2.58 Ma (million years ago) to present" where the glaciers dug out a depresson along the fault line which subsequently filled up with water, from sources higher than its 52 feet elevation above the ocean.

This is not circular reasoning because converging lines of evidence show there have been no dinosaurs or large marine reptiles living for some 65 million years (below the K-T boundary) … while the remnants of the Quaternary Glaciation all affect animals found buried above the K-T boundary.

I have come to the conclusion that you don’t actually know what Circular Reasoning is - - but that it becomes a handy way to defend yourself from the inconvenient intrusion of facts.

@gbrooks9
It may be helpful for me to remark that what leads you to this circular reasoning is that you take these articles as gospel truth. Something I do not do. It seems to come naturally to people to take things at their word if these things agree with their worldview.

I’m glad you found this amusing.

We don’t take things at their word, we can only take people at their word. And science isn’t about that. This is all based on mountains more evidence than you cite for your stones, Jon.

1 Like

@benkirk
Mountains…of which you show be some grains of sand, and a few pebbles here and there.

If you can show us a dinosaur fossil that dates to 60 million years old or less then do it. Otherwise, we have the entire mountain of evidence on our side, as in every single dated dinosaur fossil.

3 Likes

I clicked through to your first link, on dragons fiction or fact. Checking all your claims would take time; however, I will make three observations.

First, the photos shown are thoroughly ambiguous about what they actually depict. You give no background information on any of them, so it is not possible to determine whether they are ancient or modern. The only one that convincingly represents a dinosaur – the Acambaro figure – is of unknown provenance. Apologies for quoting Wikipedia again, but if you want to refute it, please provide us with a reliable source that contradicts it, rather than just dismissing it as “meh, Wikipedia.”

Second, I did a Google search for your claim about the Roman army putting a dragon hide on display in Rome. The only citations I could find in support of this one were fringe, two-guys-in-a-garage websites. I did find this question on Quora which addressed it however. It cites three websites, two of them belonging to major universities and a third by a professional historian. Again, if you wish to refute the Quora response, please provide us with a reliable source that contradicts it, rather than just dismissing it as “meh, Quora.”

Third, you haven’t adequately cited your sources on your article. You’ve listed three books at the bottom as references, but you haven’t indicated which one is the source for which claim, nor have you cited any page or chapter numbers, nor have you given any clickable links.

Jonathan, @gbrooks9’s statement here was simply a statement of fact, not circular reasoning. The way to refute a statement of fact is to provide a counterexample, not brush it off as “circular reasoning” that “agrees with your worldview.” That kind of response is merely an indication that you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about.

Accordingly, can you show us either (a) a dinosaur fossil above the K-T boundary, or (b) a remnant of the Quatenary glaciation below it?

1 Like

Why do you make such claims when it’s clear that you’ve never even looked?

And when you write things like this?[quote=“J.E.S, post:242, topic:36218”]
I’m beginning to resent people constantly asserting this without carefully and with an open mind examining all of the evidence.
[/quote]
Do you resent yourself?[quote=“J.E.S, post:208, topic:36218”]
Why don’t we find any (or at least way way more) credible transitional forms in the fossil record?
[/quote]
How many do you know there are? How many have you examined for yourself?

1 Like

> There is already a great deal of good evidence,

There are also many drawings of Jesus riding a velociraptor.

1 Like

@J.E.S

When a forensic position is supported by dozens of converging lines of evidence, you don’t have to be as tentative as you are when dealing with a single, lonely, hope-infused line of evidence.

@J.E.S

Yes… faked artifacts. @T_aquaticus, is there any point in continuing this discussion?

@gbrooks9 @T_aquaticus

I’m afraid, probably not at this time. Perhaps later.

1 Like

I’m not quite done feeding the rope. J.E.S is doing our work for us.

2 Likes

@jammycakes

Wow… the Romans had a genuine dragon hide on display? That sounds like a clincher to me!

@J.E.S

You do know that the ancient experts referred to gorillas as “very hairy tribes” … and that the mythical Unicorn (a sturdy horse with a single horn) was almost certainly a reference to rhino’s?

I’m done with discussions about dragons … You are going to need a lot more than stories of flying flame-breathing dragons.

@J.E.S hope you have a very nice weekend.

1 Like