"Discerning the Dawn: History: History, Eschatology and New Creation" by N.T. Wright

That’s an interesting point. I’m not connected to young people like I was when I was teaching. The women I talk most with now about “spiritual things” are both Christians, but 17 and 22 years younger than me. They’ve endured the “purity” movement and other such high-pressure, damaging fads, that have driven a lot of people their age away from church, and often faith in Jesus. So many of their peers have just had it with the things that are put onto God or put into his mouth, that they want nothing to do with it or him. “What could there be of value to me here? The MSRP is just to high.”

Honest, @Mervin_Bitikofer, I worked hard to leave my feelings out of this. I think there’s enough evidence throughout the lectures that he is doing some sort of apologetic work here. At the same time, I don’t think he is guilty of attempting anything like that of the Modern Apologetic Industry.TM

In Lecture 1, Wright states his goal for this project to his mother thus:

06:53 I explained that some people used to think you could start from the natural world and think your way up to God from there that other people thought that wasn’t such a good idea but that fresh thoughts about history might lead to fresh ideas about Jesus and thence to God after all and that on the way we might learn something about the nature of knowledge itself.

This does sound like some kind of “soft apologetic” plan to me.

Yes. I am grateful that he’s done it this way. I would have been inclined to give up on these lectures, if he had attempted coersion.

Ha!
Good one!

Yes, I think, to both of your posts. I’m not a scientist and don’t think like one, certainly not as a matter of habit. You are and do. I think that difference has made it essential for the two of us to negotiate meaning quite a lot. Thanks for doing that.

Your points about subjectivity and personal experience are what I had in mind. However, for some reason, this morning that awful thread came to mind about dooming women to an eternity of child birth. There is no substitute for the kind of knowledge that comes from some forms of personal experience. In the case of THAT personal experience, there is no question of “epistemological superiority” or the inability to communicate that knowledge. Some knowledge is beyond our grasp, simply because of what we are not able to experience.

So, thinking about Wright’s lectures, not mine, In lecture 6 he talked a great deal about various ways of knowing, and two examples stand out to me:

04:25 It is love that believes the resurrection because love is the most a complete form of knowing and the resurrection is the most complete form of event.

and

36:15 The creational love now revealed in the gospel launched the new world of ecclesial and moral possibility. Thus Jesus’ resurrection, by unveiling the creator’s love for the world, opens up the space and time for a new holistic mode of knowing – a knowing which includes historical knowledge of the real world by framing it within the loving gratitude which answers the creator’s own sovereign love.

I’d like to read your (plural) take on these descriptions of ‘knowing.’ This is not the bare rationalism that some apologists pretend to attempt. Wright seems perfectly content to combine (what he understands to be) the objectives of history with subjectivity.

@mitchellmckain I am also curious about thoughts you’ve stated in this discussion as well as others regarding subjectivity, objectivity and faith. I believe you said you think it is a subjective matter entirely and should remain so, and this:

Do you think there is any reason to believe that Christianity has a basis in reality, and is that even important to you? If not, how DO you see it all, please?

Precisely.
However, Penner and Smith are both Christians who see real value in it, while not swallowing entirely. They are the first two that I’ve encountered just to represent it faithfully.

1 Like