Different kinds of gaps

In the same sense, it is insane for anyone to use a super nova to create the few C-atoms that enable life on our small speck of dust?

Total complete nonsense. Fusion and nucleosynthesis takes enormous energy and pressure. Killing flies does not.

Your earlier response was basically saying maybe God just likes to kill flies with nuclear bombs. That sounds more like a devil who just likes massive death and destruction. Like I said before, I believe in a God who is consistent and rational, doing things because that is what it takes and not because of childish whims. It is religious people who employ such childish whims to serve their own self-important childish interests.

Yes, surely, this is true. However. Experiments with bacteria show that although there is lots of change in genomic information over time, there is no originating of new complex structures. And nobody expect this either.

It is meant to be a characterization of the ID/creationist approach.

1 Like

Thus far, you have only mentioned differences with respect to morphology.

You need to factor in the number of neutral mutations that occur within a population. The overall rate of fixation for neutral mutations is about the mutation rate, so 50-100 neutral mutations will fix in the human population per 25 years.

That really doesn’t address the issue at hand. The problem is the Sharpshooter fallacy. If there are many, many combinations of 2-4 mutations that can produce a beneficial phenotype then it isn’t surprising that we see them evolve, especially if those mutations are beneficial on their own. There are also tons of neutral mutations at different frequencies in any given population, some of which may have reached fixation 10’s of millions of years ago.

Why? With a large enough population you can have a mutation at every available base in a single generation. If we limit our search to the human diploid genome, we would need about 180 to 360 million births to get all three possible mutations at a given base (mutation rate of 50 to 100 mutations per person per generation).

I also find it extremely unlikely that there’s only one possible beneficial mutation in any given genome. It is very likely that beneficial mutations are occurring throughout the genome in different individuals which means that they will be increasing in frequency alongside each other.

The chances of two mutations happening at the same base and moving towards fixation in a relatively short period of time is very unlikely.

That would be a bad assumption.

1 Like

That would depend on how you define “new complex structures”. That also seems to be a subjective opinion.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time distinguishing theistic evolution from providential evolution which would be teleological by definition.

Also, I would seriously question, like call out as a double agent, theistic evolutionists who believe knowledge of the infinite, that is creatures who bear the image of God, are an accident in the world.

well, maybe more accurate if you said…

no other explanation [that a priori excludes God or any other form of intelligent agency from consideration] comes even close to explaining all of the data that evolutionary theory makes sense of?

:thinking:

This is intriguing to me, as you’re one of the few people i’ve run into that had a similar experience to mine… In my case, i was similarly a Christian, learned evolution as a child and never really considered them in conflict, when i began my biochemistry undergrad studies began to see the extreme implausibility of the theory in practical out working and professors couldn’t even begin to answer my specific doubts and questions.

Would you mind sharing more specifically or in more detail (or point me to where you’ve already posted): exactly what it was that you studied during your university time that planted doubts in your mind about the scientific plausibility of the theory?

No it doesn’t. Exclude what there is no warrant for including.

A priori. precisely.

1 Like

From what I understand, theistic evolution would be indistinguishable from natural processes while ID/Creationism would be distinguishable from natural processes.

To use an analogy, theistic evolution would be a vintner having good weather a good harvest of grapes to make wine with. ID/Creationism would be Jesus turning water into wine.

1 Like

You can include God and intelligent agency.

These are the types of data you would need to explain:

1. The twin nested hierarchy of morphology and DNA sequence
  2. The pattern of transition and transversion mutations when comparing genomes. See here: Testing Common Ancestry: It’s All About the Mutations - BioLogos
  3. Why exons have more conserved sequence than introns when comparing genomes between species
  4. The pattern of orthologous and non-orthologous endogenous retroviruses
  5. The pattern of transitional fossils, why they follow the same nested hierarchy as living species
  6. Genetic equidistance

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Agree, and good analogy… i’d only clarify that the term “theistic evolution” has, ahem, evolved over the years… some generations ago, “theistic evolutionist” would have been applied to folks like Behe, who embrace the overall process of evolution, but who believed that certain steps in the process were unachievable by natural (undirected/unguided) means, and which required God’s direct intervention… limited interventions that, in principle, would be distinguishable from natural processes.

But nowadays, you are quite correct; current usage is that theistic evolution is God working through natural means that are completely undetectable, or indistinguishable from blind, unguided/natural causes… and ID is applied even to those generally evolution-affirming folks like Behe that yet believe that certain aspects of the evolutionary process are better explained by direct intelligent guidance than by natural processes.

1 Like

Perhaps. This may be why some people at BioLogos have called themselves Evolutionary Creationists in order to better define where they stand.

Nonsense. Precisely. If there were scientific evidence of or warrant for divine intervention it would have to be included by any and every professionally rational person.

In a very strange field. Where God created nature as if They didn’t but there was still some warrant, apart from the claim of incarnation, that They did.

Mutations that are triggered by SEUs would raise the question I commonly think about: From nothing, an infinite regress, or an unobservable first cause?

Please explain

What wouldn’t raise that question? Are you going to repeat this same stuff no matter what people post?

2 Likes