Differences within EC... Classic Providential Naturalism?

I wasn’t actually sure what you mean by ‘essential forms’ with regard to biological organisms and evolution because that discussion has a very long history with many instances including change and transformation. I’m not sure one can map Aristotle’s ideas to fixity of species, for example, though some have. Thank you for some clarification there. I’m not an Aristotelian either but agree you can’t dismiss him out of hand. There are some gems there but I understand that he was limited by the ‘physical knowledge’ of his day.

Aside: John S Wilkins presents some provocative references about evolution and essentialism here and here.

He’s an equal opportunity curmudgeon. :grin: But he gets a lot of the history for genetics and molecular biology the past 60 or so years right. It’s something that really isn’t taught in graduate scientific programs. That is why things like the ‘ENCODE’ controversy over the proportion of junk DNA in humans got started. Some of the authors didn’t have a solid background in making the claims they presented.

Regarding Behe, I find the difficulty is not from battling outdated neo-Darwinian views but the actual merits of Irreducible Complexity and whether the ‘Edge of Evolution’ is where he claims it is. I don’t think he makes the case convincingly.

Argon,

Are you familiar with the Book, The Atheist’s Guide to Reality by the philosopher Alex Rosenberg?

He tries to give materialism a philosophical system compatible with science. “He shows how physics makes Darwinian natural selection the only way life can emerge and how that deprives nature of purpose, and human action of meaning, while it exposes conscious illusions such as free will and the self.” (inside front cover)

E. O. Wilson and Lawrence Krauss voiced their approval on the back cover.

Sorry, haven’t read it. I probably won’t find it interesting. This is just a personal preference: I got tired of a lot of philosophical discussion after my mid 30s.

Is there any evidence that the Hebrews specifically knew planets as a special kind of star? I know the Greeks were aware of planets.

Ken Ham insists that the Bible mentions dinosaurs since they are animals, and Genesis talks about the creation of the animals.

1 Like

How do you know who would know about what has been published in evolutionary theory in the past 25 years? How do you know who reads what? Do you read the primary literature? Do you have subscription lists?

If ID wants to offer better criticism of evolutionary theory, or better, offer positive evidence, they could do some research.

For 25 years?

1 Like

Eddie

You’re absolutely right in your adducement of the evidence for the Hebrew inclusion of the planets with the stars, but also (one must add) with the sun and moon, for the original definition of “planet” was a body that moved around the sky, of which there were seven - Sun, Moon (both named in Scripture), Mercury, Venus (the morning/evening star, named in Scripture), Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.

That’s why it is considered likely by many scholars that the sacred nature of the number 7 in both Babylon and Israel has an astronomical association.

These planets were all known in the ANE at both its Mesopotamian and Egyptian poles (and hence in Israel which originated in both), and formed the whole basis of astrology, into which many Israelites lapsed and against which the prophets spoke and, it is widely agreed, the Genesis 1 creation account also contains polemic elements, naming them as created lights rather than as individuals. For it was principally those seven that were specifically named as gods in the ANE, and therefore had the power to influence events.

All that answers that question - but of course the whole framing of the question distracts from, and is irrelevant to, the metaphysical issue I raised, which is that without a metaphysics of essences, one can only rationally see planets, or stars, or suns, or moons, or any other category whatsoever, as an arbitrary human classification of essentially fortuitous and meaningless conglomerations of particles or energy.

The point I made, which was of course ignored in favour of snark, is that if there are no universal “essences” in God’s “mind”, then even to say he created stars, or planets, or living-things-through-evolution, is empty talk, the mere imposition of a human pattern on a universe that doesn’t work that way, and on a God who doesn’t think that way. Except that talking about “God” involves regarding him as an essential nature too, since he’s not made of atoms.

Now, essential natures went out in science when Aristotelian metaphysics was jettisoned in the 17th century, because his metaphysics began with the deep question of what “things” are, and particularly “kinds of thing”. The replacement metaphysics said, in effect, “Things are just arbitrary collections of very small identical things, so they have no particular status. Stupid question.” Or to paraphrase, “Your time is past.”

That works well in science, but not in human discourse, nor in considering God as a personal Creator. We think there are real things called people, easily distinguishable from things called cats, or tables. And that planets are not stars or gas clouds. So to get by in the world even scientists tend to fudge their metaphysics (by talking as if there are forms like species, or human beings, or planets, even though they’re “really” just bunches of atoms), or else we submit vast areas of reality to the new metaphysics against common experience, and deny that there is such a thing as human (or cat) nature, that there is an indivisible essential nature called “God”, and so on.

At least as commonly, one denies that there is even a real thing called metaphysics and lives in an incoherent thought world, with confusing and baleful effects on science, religion and the interface between them.

But why do you need to hear it from me, when every fundamentalist Bible-thumper shouts that kind of thing from the TV screen each Sunday?:unamused:

1 Like

@Argon,

I can understand that, but philosophy can help to understand where people are coming from and why.

I am talking about “practical philosophy,” like the book I referred to and Chance and Necessity by Jacques Monod.

Can you elaborate?

Hi Jon, thanks for your gracious responses and input here. I’ll surely check out more of the content on your blog. I just wanted to share some thoughts I had about the following you said:

I can’t say that I’ve read hundreds of years of literature on metaphysics. But from my own experience in science education I would say there is a stream of thought in the scientific community that aims to resolve the tensions between essentialism and what you call “replacement metaphysics”.

According to the complexity approach, systems can obtain properties that cannot be reduced to the properties of their individual constituents. As the Gestalt Psychologist Kurt Koffka said, “The whole is other than the sum of its parts.” So a planet is in essence different than the sum of individual atoms. Rather, its “planetness” emerges from the complex relationships between its constituents. In the same way, our brain is in essence “other” than the sum of brain cells.

A system with interacting parts can produce discrete outcomes at different levels of complexity. That makes the essence of chemistry different than “combining some physics”. The same for biology being essentially different from the sum of chemical potentials, psychology is not just adding up some cells, and sociology is not just mass psychology. So for emergent phenomena, things in Creation can have a created essence (or discreteness, such as species) on different levels while still being based on the same underlying principles (laws of nature).

I would say that “replacement metaphysics” is not productive within science, because it neglects the contribution of other scientific disciplines which may focus on different “essences” on other levels of complexity.

@fmiddel

Thank you for your question. I am not sure by what you mean, but I will try to give you some examples of what I mean by a triune model of understanding.

Maybe you are familiar with a beautiful short book by Paul Tillich, Love, Power, and Justice. which gives a Trinitarian analysis of life and ethics. In short he says, Love is good and important, but love alone is not enough and is wrong. Power is good and important, but power alone is not enough and is wrong… Justice is good and important, but justice alone is not enough, and is wrong.

Nor are two of these three together without the third is wrong. Only Love, Power, and Justice working together provide the right answer. We see too often in this world where two sides each have a case against each other and will not settle until the other side gives in. Usually both sides are right and both are wrong and reconciliation does not take place until they can both accept this fact and confess their responsibility and forgiveness and try to make things right for all.

In this discussion, one side says that I’m theologically right. The other side says I am scientifically right. They both have some good points, so how can we choose. The umpire in this situation should be philosophy, but philosophy is about dead, so we have to reinvent philosophy. Then we see that it is possible to reconcile science and theology so both are affirmed and their integrity is strengthened This is what I try to do in my book, Darwin’s Myth.

I hope that helps. There is no way I can give you a full exposition of what takes at least a book to describe, but I will answer any questions.

1 Like