Did Noah's Flood Kill All Humans except his family?

Then why did you complain when I answered assuming this?

I still don’t get what you are trying to get at with this sequence argument. Why don’t you just tell me what it is you are trying to say instead of trying to get me to guess.

This from a YEC site.

Most of these considered each “day” a thousand years. So I guess you could say they read it as a sequence of periods of 1,000 years, whatever that means, but no they did not read it as a sequence of 6 days.

I am sure you know all of this already.

Speaking of the obvious.

I have, explicitly. Because you don’t get it doesn’t mean I am trying to get you to guess!

I will try one more time. There is a sequence from 1 to 6 that has always been there in Genesis 1. An ANE/literary framework reading does not recognize that. It wants to make two triads out of it. Exclusive of the linear sequence of 6. Capice? Please?

The ANE triad is a “new” reading with the advent of modern ANE scholarship. Do you remember your complaint? –

Was that so hard? First time you mentioned triads if my memory is correct (and it might not be).

But my understanding (I am no Hebrew scholar) is the two groups of 3 came from the fact the Hebrew is written as poetry. Not the result of any new ANE understanding. Unless you consider reading it in the original Hebrew to be a ANE understanding.

Oh dear. You are absolutely correct – I’m chagrined that I am so inarticulate. Sometimes a good teacher has to explain things several ways before some students get it. There is still a sequence of six.

I think you have the roles reversed. :wink:

English
Sequence: the following of one thing after another; succession.

Math
3 + 3 = 6

As I understand the “triad” formulation there is no change to the order.

So what is your problem?

You don’t see a difference between a triad and a sequence?

Do you normally think of your week as consisting of triads or a sequence? (And no, that is not an argument for solar days in Genesis 1.)

English
triad: a group or set of three connected people or things.

Two triads would therefore be 6 things.

Example:
(1, 2, 3) , (4, 5, 6)

No my week is not written in poetic form.

Do you ever think of a week as the 5 day work week?

Is Exodus 20? I believe it refers to the creation week. And not in triads.

You still don’t get it. I never said the triads weren’t there. What I am saying is that there is a sequence there that does not depend on triads. You may not have seen, or you may not recall, my posting this before, in two different places and referring to it in a third:

The classic optical illusion is a demonstration that two true and distinctly separate things can be represented at one and the same time without conflict or contradiction.* I believe that the Artist who crafted Genesis 1 is skillful enough to accomplish that and can speak to all generations of readers, including those who are ignorant of triads and not conversant with the esotericisms of ANE scholarship.

*One objection is that you can then infer anything from the text that you want. No, you can’t. There are only two women in the illustration.

Wider connections

I thought I would add some wider connections to the Messinian Salinity Crisis. When the Mediterranean had evaporated, where did the water go? Into the world’s oceans. Then I am going to switch gears and discuss how science isn’t really about data–it is about consensus view–which is the wrong way for science to behave. Science and theology should be about matching facts, not about one’s bias.

The Messinian salinity crisis may have had some widespread consequences. A transfer of all Mediterranean water to the world’s oceans would have raised global sea level by up to 10 meters(33 feet). More significantly, the extensive evaporation may have removed significant quantities of salt from the world’s oceans, thereby weakening North Atlantic deep-water formation and slowing the conveyor belt system, possibly leading to global cooling. Such cooling may have caused sea level to drop, intensifying Mediterranean desiccation during parts of the Messinian…" Vivien Gornitz, Rising Seas: Past, Present, Future,(Columbia University Press, 2013), p.84

The removal of salt from the world’s oceans was significant, also with implications for global climate:

*"The Messinian Salinity Crisis occurred when the last of the ocean gateways closed and restricted any connection with the Atlantic Ocean. This led to an evaporitic drawdown of the Mediterranean, which led to widespread precipitation of evaporates within the Mediterranean basin and satellite basins(e.g. Sorbas basin, south-east Spain). The storage of salts from the evaporated sea water is calculated to have reduced the world ocean salinity levels by some 6 per percent and temporarily modified global thermohaline circulation. This drop in salinity would have increased the extent of sea ice and may have contributed to the onset of the next glacial phase. " Anne Mather, “Tectonic Setting and Landscape Development,” in Jamie Woodward, ed., The Physical Geography of the Mediterranean, (Oxford University Press, 2009)

It would appear that this much salt removed from the oceans would freshen the water and increase the freezing point of ocean water by about .2 C. That might not sound like much, but for a world on the cusp of getting even colder, this could be a critical change.

Third, it was during the Miocene that Antarctica first glaciated and the amount of water would have lowered the seas by 80 m.

"The Messinian evaporates were deposited in two events, an earlier one in magnetic Chron 5, and a younger one in the early parts of the Gilbert Chron at the Miocene/Pliocene boundary. While a discussion of the exact chronology of these events falls outside the scope of this paper, it appears clear that the strong glacial seen at 5 Ma in our data which lowered sea-levels by about 80 m below the present in the early Gilbert, correlates to the younger Messinian event." E. Jansen, et al, “Neogene and Pleistocene Glaciations in the Northern Hemisphere and Late Miocene-Pliocene Global Ice Volume Fluctuations: Evidence from the Norwegian Sea.”, edited by U. Bleil, Jörn Thiede, Geological History of the Polar Oceans: Arctic versus Antarctic, Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers,1990), p. 695

Below is the CO2 content of the Miocene, at around 215 ppm.

There is one real problem with the Messinian, weather wise. It was said to be warm, yet it had only 215 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere, which is less than we had in 1750 which tends to be the pre-industrial level. This should make for a cold world. How cold ?[if you don’t like math, skip the rest of this paragraph and start with the next] Well, the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere relates to radiative forcing, that is, how much extra energy is kept in the earth’s atmosphere. Because of feedback loops there is no easy or definitive way to relate radiative forcing to a given rise in temperature. Because of this, I am going to use the only way I can to estimate the global temperature based on CO2 content. Today we have 405 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere. In 1750 we had 280 ppm. The equation for the increase in radiative forcing is 5.35 X ln(405/280) which is approximately 2 deg C of warming since then. Since the effect is linear in logarithm up to about 800 ppm, we can estimate how much colder it was in the Miocene. (405-280=125) so a change of 125 ppm is equivalent to a 2 deg rise in temperature, meaning there is a 2/125 deg C per ppm CO2. Thus, there is .016 deg C per ppm CO2. Since the Miocene had only 215 ppm, then that should be equivalent to (280-215)*.016 which is 1 degree C colder than it was in 1780.

If this estimate of the Miocene world being 1 deg colder than it was in 1750 (3 deg colder than today), loose as the estimate is, is even close to reality, then it is hard to understand how the Miocene world could be warm. Could methane cause the warmth? It is unlikely because methane leaves the atmosphere at a half-life of 12.7 years, so if there is a big burp of methane gas, a strong greenhouse gas, then in the geological blink of an eye, it is removed from the atmosphere. There are those who say the Mediterranean itself was leaking methane, citing the existence of signs on seismic of such leakage. The problem is that methane is constantly leading out of the world’s ocean floors, and what they see is nothing unusual. Thus, again, it is hard to see how this Messinian world could be warm.

Secondly, for the first time in history Antarctica was covered with ice, and there was glaciation in Patagonia. Below is a picture showing how Antarctican ice cover occurred over the Miocene. Some people are just bad at graphics and this guy chose black to represent the ice and white to represent the continent. A good graphics guy, if he likes you, would have told him to change it. Maybe he had ticked off his graphics guy. lol
Indeed, some of this Miocene ice has survived to the present:

Sugden DE, Marchant DR, Potter N, Souchez RA, Denton GH, Swisher CC, Tison JL

"Preservation of Miocene Glacier Ice in East Antarctica"

"ANTARCTIC climate during the Pliocene has been the subject of considerable debate. One view holds that, during part of the Pliocene, East Antarctica was largely free of glacier ice and that vegetation survived on the coastal mountains(1-4). An alternative viewpoint argues for the development of a stable polar ice sheet by the middle Miocene, which has persisted since then(5-10). Here we report the discovery of buried glacier ice in Beacon valley, East Antarctica, which appears to have survived for at least 8.1 million years. We have dated the ice by Ar-40/Ar-39 analysis of volcanic ash in the thin, overlying glacial till which, we argue, has undergone little (if any) reworking. Isotope and crystal fabric analyses of the ice show that it was derived from an ice sheet. We suggest that stable polar conditions must have persisted in this region for at least 8.1 million years for this ice to have avoided sublimation ." 화학공학소재연구정보센터(CHERIC) | 연구정보 | 문헌DB | 학술지 검색

The Messinian evaporates were deposited in two events, an earlier one in magnetic Chron 5, and a younger one in the early parts of the Gilbert Chron at the Miocene/Pliocene boundary. While a discussion of the exact chronology of these events falls outside the scope of this paper, it appears clear that the strong glacial seen at 5 Ma in our data which lowered sea-levels by about 80 m below the present in the early Gilbert , correlates to the younger Messinian event.” E. Jansen, et al, “Neogene and Pleistocene Glaciations in the Northern Hemisphere and Late Miocene-Pliocene Global Ice Volume Fluctuations: Evidence from the Norwegian Sea.”, edited by U. Bleil, Jörn Thiede, Geological History of the Polar Oceans: Arctic versus Antarctic, Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers,1990), p. 695

The drying of the Mediterranean, the salt deposition and the refilling of the basin had major effects on global climate.

How should people deal with new ideas?

The thing that attracted me to the Messinian flood was that it was the only monstrous, yearish long flood in geologic history since hominids arrived on earth. It was the discovery of a major river coming out of biblical Havilah, on the Arabian peninsula and the discovery that the biblical description of Eden exactly matches the geography when this event happened. I still find it amazing the confluence of facts pointing to this time and place as the location of the events in Genesis 1-9.

I was taught as a scientist that it is about developing a theory that matches the observational facts. I think that should also apply to theological theories. But alas, as I have grown older I have become more and more convinced that the sociological objection to science is true. Science is often more about group think than matching the facts. All one has to do is look at how each new idea is received by the group-thinking colleagues.

1 Contientental Drift, AAPG opposed it from the 20s until the late 70s,after I entered the business.

2.H.pylori as a cause of ulcers took 20 years to be accepted after proof existed.

1. Feigenbaum, who discovered the mathematics of nonlinear dynamics had his first 2 papers rejected.

2. Theodore Maiman’s paper on how to build a laser was rejected by Physical Review letters.

3. Tuzo Wilson who discovered the idea that the Hawaiian islands were formed by a hotspot said:

'I…sent [my paper] to the Journal of Geophysical Research, They turned it down…They said my paper had no mathematics in it, no new data, and that it didn’t agree with the current views. Therefore, it must be no good. Apparently, whether one gets turned down or not depends largely on the reviewer. The editors, too, if they don’t see it your way, or if they think it’s something unusual, may turn it down. Well this annoyed me, and instead of keeping the rejection letter, I threw it into the wastepaper basket. I sent the manuscript to the newly founded Canadian Journal of Physics. That was not a very obvious place to send it, but I was a Canadian physicist. I thought they would publish almost anything I wrote so I sent it there and they published it!" Frank Tipler, “Refereed Journals,” in William Dembski editor, Uncommon Dissent, (Wilmington Delaware: ISI Books, 2004), p. 118-120

6.Peter Higgs of the Higgs Boson fame was practically ruined by his great idea. He was told he was “talking nonsense.”

7.Belousov of the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction was told by an editor that his views violated fundamental physics. He published in a medical conference and left science completely.

1. Donald Glazer, inventor of the cloud chamber. His paper was rejected. He eventually won the Nobel.

2. Dan Schectman who proved quasi-crystals existed was asked to leave his research group and was utterly opposed by Linus Pauling.

3. Saul Weinstein suggested data shows 5 carbon atoms could be bonded. Henry Brown, another Nobel laureate declared Holy War on such a concept. Brown was wrong.

4. Mendeleev published his periodic table of the elements in 1869, leaving holes where undiscovered elements should be. He was fiercely ridiculed for this. It wasn’t until 1886 that new elements were found.

12 Einstein proposed the existence of the Photon. He was resisted on this and Rosenblum and Kuttner said:
“From 1905 to 1923, [Einstein] **was a man apart in being the only one, or almost the only one, to take the light-quantum seriously.*” Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, Quantum Enigma, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006), p. 60

1. Rosalyn Yalow, who developed radioimmunoassy said:
    "One example is Rosalyn Yalow, who described how her Nobel-prize-winning paper was received by the journals as follow: ‘In 1955 we submitted the paper to Science…the paper was held there for eight months before it was reviewed. It was finally rejected. We submitted it to the Journal of Clinical Investigations, which also rejected it.’ Frank Tipler, “Refereed Journals,” in William Dembski editor, Uncommon Dissent, (Wilmington Delaware: ISI Books, 2004), p. 118

2. Gunter Blobel won the Nobel for protein signaling. Of him it is said
    " Another example is Gunter Blobel, who in a news conference given just after he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine, said that the main problem one encounters in one’s research is 'when your grants and papers are rejected because some stupid reviewer rejected them for dogmatic adherence to old ideas." Frank Tipler, “Refereed Journals,” in William Dembski editor, Uncommon Dissent, (Wilmington Delaware: ISI Books, 2004), p. 118

15.Carlos Frenk, the original advocate of dark matter: "You’d think Carlos Frenk would be pleased that no one calls him a crackpot any more. He wasn’t so lucky. ‘I would stand up at conferences and have people almost throwing rotten tomatoes at me,’ he says.
His offence was to be an ardent advocate of a then controversial idea–that most of the universe’s matter comes as a cold, heavy soup of invisible ‘dark matter’.Andrew Pntzen, Shaken and Stirred, New Scientist, March 23, 2013. p. 33

1. James Clerk Maxwell was not immune to the defenders of the status quo:
    “A somewhat gross conception.” Sir Richard Glazebrook
    "A feeling of uneasiness, often even of mistrust is mingled with admiration…'-Henri Poincare
    “Found no foothold in Germany and was scarcely even noticed.”–Max Planck
    “I may say one thing about it (the electromagnetic theory of light]. I do not think it is admissible.” - Lord Kelvin
    ~ Leon Lederman, The God Particle, (New York: Dell Publ. 1993), p.129

2. Luis Alvarez, one of the originators of the idea that the dinosaurs were killed by a big meteor.

A group of scientists led by Professor Charles Officer, now retired from Dartmouth College, not only believed that the Alvarez theory was wrong, as did many, but actively set out to refute it. They published hundreds of papers presenting evidence that they believed contradicted the theory. But in Luis Alvarez, the critics found a brilliant scientific opponent who loved a good fight. The debate descended to one of the all-time lows of scientific discourse. Insults were thrown with abandon and careers were damaged. A Berkeley paleontologist labeled the theory ‘codswallop;’ Luis responded that paleontologists were nothing more than ‘stamp collectors’-to a physicist, the ultimate insult. Critics reached back to 1954 to dredge up Luis’s controversial role in the notorious hearings that led to the dismissal of J. Robert Oppenheimer, father of the atom bomb, as a security risk. The debate turned ugly indeed, with ample blame to go around. The making of science is often not the pretty sight that textbooks and scientific papers written after the fact would have us believe.” Lawrence Powell, Night comes to the Cretaceous, (New York: Harcourt Brace and Co., 1998), p. XIX

18.John Bardeen, Nobel Laureate for low temperature physics.

Scientific eminence is no protection from a peer review system gone wild. John Bardeen, the only man to every have won two Nobel Prizes in physics, had difficulty publishing a theory in low-temperature solid state physics(the area of one of his Prizes) that went against the established view. But rank hath its privileges. Bardeen appealed to his friend David Lazarus, who was editor in chief for the American Physical Society. Lazarus investigated and found that the referee was totally out of line, I couldn’t believe it. John really did have a hard time with [his] last few papers and it was not his fault at all. They were important papers, they did get published, but they gave him a harder time than he should have had.” Frank Tipler, “Refereed Journals,” in William Dembski editor, Uncommon Dissent, (Wilmington Delaware: ISI Books, 2004), p. 118-120

19.Julius Robert Mayer, believed a mishmash of science and religion. It was this mishmash which drove his researches. Mayer’s views cause his papers to be rejected by journal after journal. He was a doctor who noticed that as one got closer to the equator the blood got redder, which supported the caloric theory of blood. He did get this published but because of his reputation, no one paid attention. He then incorporated this into his weird mishmash, called the Ursache. “Mayer’s grand conclusion? The strengths of all the subordinate forces of today-luminous, thermal, chemical, and others yet unnamed-added up exactly to the strength of the original Ursache” Michael Guillen, Five Equations that Changed the World, (London: Abacus, 1999), p.201

Mayer’s paper was ignored even when people wrote similar things. Mayer’s distress led to an attempted suicide. But eventually his equations were incorporated by Clausius into the Thermodynamics equations–entropy, and Clausius gave Mayer full credit. It had been 20 years of being ignored by everyone when he was 20 years ahead of them.

20.Gregor Cantor, the great mathematician had this said of him because it was his theology which drove his mathematical discoveries: As Leopold Kronecker claimed: "I don’t know what predominates in Cantor’s theory – philosophy or theology, but I am sure that there is no mathematics there" Controversy over Cantor's theory - Wikipedia

The lessen boys and girls, don’t be too original. You must believe the consensus view or they will get you.

Or as Cantor’s law of the conservation of ignorance says:
“…an incorrect concept accepted, taught and used for many years by many intelligent people is hard to change: and the less the concept is understood, the harder it is to change.” John R. Parks, Biology’s Variable Logic Nature Vol 351 June 6, 1991, p.434.

None of the above proves my view is correct. And yes, it was my theology that drove my researches, just like Cantor’s. The only thing that should matter to a scientist is " does the theory fit the facts?" Nothing else matters. Even a theory that fits the known facts of the time can be shown to be wrong with the advent of newer data. But one shouldn’t reject something simply because it causes one a bit of self-examination of one’s own views.

1 Like

Bill, I have one river flowing out of Eden. We have been over this before. I tire of explaining this to you over and over. Please look at the diagram below.

Scripture says:And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads Genesis 2:10

You seem to be under two misaprehensions. 1. That I must accept your assumptions–i.e. that your assumptions are the divinely inspired ones and can’t be doubted. and 2. that each river has only one head waters. Rivers systems have thousands of headwaters. Below are some of the headwaters of the Mississippi River system.

I see no reason to accept your view on this, so let us agree to disagree and move on. As I have said, if you don’t like what I have done, fine, Just don’t act like you are the only one who gets to determine what everyone else beleives. I won’t go over this again. I think 3 times is about enough.

1 Like

I understand quite well what you are trying to argue. I am just pointing out where your idea doesn’t match what Genesis says.

I never said a river has only one head water. Genesis says it.

If you want to get technical sure the rivers could have multiple head waters but that is not what the description, written by God, says. Since God is the author why would God not tell us the truth? The truth being the spring from Eden was just a small addition to the four rivers. You are certainly big on finding truth in Scripture.

But until now you never agreed that they were there.

And what meaning do you ascribe to this sequence? It is not a sequence of six solar days so what is it?

Days of Proclamation which are pre-temporal events planning what the world is going to be like. St. Basil viewed Day 1 that way. So this is not a new view, it is an old view from around 400 ad

1 Like

And has been discussed here before.

I was asking Dale why the concept of “sequence” was so important to him and the meaning he was getting from this sequence.

I mistakenly thought that through all this that you would be recognizing that the existence of a sequence did not necessitate triads, nor obviate them.

You seemed to have ignored that.

Seriously? You are familiar with the term “analogous”, I hope. They were analogous days. What they are analogues of is another discussion. (@gbob just gave us a likelyhood.) You might recall a biblical metaphor in Psalm 90:4, echoed in 2 Peter 3:8.

A question like that is tiresome, as are many of yours, and I am wearying of your seemingly even intentionally feigned obtuseness, giving you maybe undeserved credit.

This is part of my effort to understand the temperatures at the bottom of the evaporated Mediterranean. We know that plants and fluid inclusion in halite say the temperatures down there were on average less than 20 deg C. Each species does have a temperature limit so the ones living down on the basin floor say something about the temperature down there.

The fossils below are those found at Moncucco Torinese, from Upper Messinian sediments which have been uplifted to form part of Italy. These sediments used to be at the bottom of the dried out Mediterranean In the picture below you can see the outcrop of Messinian rocks as it is found throughout Italy. The authors analyzed 20,000 fossils, as part of this work, which implies that this part of the basin was abundantly populated. The red star is the approximate location of Moncucco Torinese where these former basin dwellers are found. From Colombero et al; " Late Messinian mollusks and vertebrates from Moncucco Torinese, north-western Italy. Paleoecological and paleoclimatological implications" Palaeontologia Electronica 20(1):1-66

It is in Italy and Sicily that these sediments have been uplifted to where we can accesses them today in outcrop. Here is there assessment of the situation at the bottom of the Mediterranean basin.

" The systematic analysis of more than 20,000 fossils (Vertebrata and Mollusca), recovered from the post-evaporitic Messinian (5.41–5.33 Ma) succession of Moncucco Torinese (NW Italy), resulted in the identification of 90 vertebrate and 65 mollusk taxa that provide additional information about the paleoecological context and the paleoenvironmental settings of NW Italy slightly before the Mio-Pliocene boundary. Our analyses indicate a landscape dominated by open woodlands within a mosaic environment also including closed canopy forests, grasslands, rocky outcrops and limited water edges. The wide spectrum of habitats may have had a prominent role in determining the high paleobiodiversity observed in the paleocommunity of Moncucco " https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315546022_Late_Messinian_mollusks_and_vertebrates_from_Moncucco_Torinese_north-western_Italy_Paleoecological_and_paleoclimatological_implications

For comparison here are the statistics on animals found in Death Valley. 56 mammals, 36 reptiles, 5 amphibians, 6 fish, and nearly 400 bird species have been found in the park. Remember fewer animals are fossilized than actually lived in any location. One interesting thing is that only 2 non-introduced, grazer species live in death valley They are the mule deer and desert bighorn sheep. Mule deer are mostly in the mountains but the sheep are found everywhere. Mammals - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

As we look at the data on fish, remember fish can’t live in super hot waters. Anyone who has had an aquarium will know that if it gets too hot, the fish suffocate for lack of oxygen. The highest temperature fish is the pupfish, but even he could not tolerate temperatures much higher than 108 F or 42 deg C is the highest temperature we have seen a fish live.

"The desert pupfish tolerates an extreme range of environmental conditions. : salinities ranging from freshwater to 68-70 parts per thousand (ppt) for eggs and adults, and 90 ppt for larvae.; water temperatures as high as approximately 108° F, with the lowest recorded temperature of approximately 40° F; and oxygen levels down to 0.1 parts per million (ppm). Desert pupfish can also survive rapid changes in salinity and daily water temperature "fluctuations of 72° F to 80° F and often escape stressors by diving into the substrate ." Desert Pupfish (Cyprinodon macularis)

As I said above, the sediments these fossils are taken from were once on the bottom of the basin and have been uplifted. Thus they are the ones who had to live with whatever these conditions were. Where I could get a temperature range from either the species or genera, I did. Indeed I got a species level temperature range for Bufeto viridis, which shows egg survival drops radically once one passes 25 C.

What we have is contradictory data. It isn’t a problem with my flood view it is a reality of working in science. Sometimes one can’t clearly solve contradictory issues for a long time. Anyone who has worked in science knows that. As you look at the species below, who lived on the basin floor, think about this chart. This chart is the most reasonable estimate I would have had for the temperature at the bottom of the basin (see my atmospheric model post above). But it conflicts with the plant temperature data, it conflicts with the temperatures deduced by chemistry of the fluid inclusions in the halite which was deposited on the basin floor (certainly not deposited on mountains). and it conflicts with species level temperature tolerance. In order for all these biological temperatures to be correct, means we are missing something in the atmospheric model. There is no doubt that these species and fluid inclusions are from basinal sediments of the post-evaporative Mediterranean. They say the basin was much cooler than my model says it should be. Something is wrong in my model and I won’t stop looking for a solution this side of death. It is the atmospheric model which seems to be the odd man out.

In short, I don’t think the species shown below could have lived in such a hot hellish place.
Fish

Benthosema aff. suborbitale

Bolinichthys italicus Preferred temperature 7.6 - 14.9, mean 9.3 source

Diaphus befralai

Diaphus aff. pedemontanus

Diaphus aff. rubus

Diaphus splendidus

Diaphus taaningi Fishbase lists highest temp in this geneus as 23.6 C

Hygophum aff. derthonensis Fishbase highest temperature 18.5

Myctophum coppa

Gadiculus labiatus

Physiculus sp.

Hoplostethus cf. mediterraneus

Grammonnus sp.

Lesueurigobius sp.

Argyrosomus sp.

Sciaenidarum sp. nov.

From the family

Trewasciaena ( ray finned fish)

Amphibians

Albanerpeton

Chelotriton

Lissotriton

Bufotes viridis–eggs develop between 12 and 25 deg C. This is a species limit and thus limits the temperatures at the bottom of the basin. How was it that cool? I don’t know, but this species found living in the basin does seem to limit the basin’s temperature as do the plant fossils and the halite fluid inclusions.

In nature animals generally lay as many eggs as is required to maintain population levels given the normal levels of predation (yes, the logistics curve does show that it gets out of whack every now and then), With Bufotes viridis, temperatures about 35 C lead to about a 50% drop in survival of eggs. Such a drop would likely make it impossible for the toad to continue living in the Mediterranean basin,if the temperatures were above that level.
Here is a picture of Bufeto viridis

The results also confirmed that the developmental rate decreases with decreasing temperature. Larvae at stage 25 showed a significant difference in length only between eggs incubated at 8 and 30°C, respectively. It is concluded that developing eggs have a temperature tolerance from 12 through 25°C, and temperatures outside this range will reduce their survival rate. Thermal tolerance limits and effects of temperature on the growth and development of the green toad , Bufotes viridis | Semantic Scholar

Pelophylax

Hyla arbores

Latonia

Pelobates

Reptiles

Crocodylia

Testudo

Mauremys

Euleptes

Agamidae

Anguinae

Lacerta

Amphisbaenias

Eryx

colubrines

Vipera

Birds

Palaeortyx

Coturnix

Columbidae

Apodidae

Accipitridae

Strigidae

Coliidae

Piciformes

Corvidae

Passeriformes

Mammals

Tapirus arvernensis

Outside: In general, tapirs are relatively heat tolerant and can tolerate outside temperatures up to 38 °C (100 °F), although they should be protected from prolonged exposure above 35 °C (95 °F) https://assets.speakcdn.com/assets/2332/tapir_acm_2013.pdf

Dihoplus schleiermacheri

Dicoryphochoerini -an Artiodactyl

Euprox

Pliocervus (deer like animal)

Gazella

Euarctos pyrenaicus

Viverrinae

Pristifelis attica

Pantherinae–the species is not given but this is a picture of a pantherinae from another Messinian basinal fossil locality.

Baranogale This is kinda like a weasel.

mesopithecus

Neomyini (shrew)

Petenyia hungarica

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Vasil_Popov/publication/228548118/figure/fig4/AS:349487957594115@1460335830591/Petenyia-hungarica-1-left-mandible-Coll-No-V10-a-lingual-view-b-labial-view.png

Parasorex ibericus

Talpa

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Talpa_europaea_MHNT.jpg/1920px-Talpa_europaea_MHNT.jpg

Castorinae

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Beaver.jpg/220px-Beaver.jpg

Hystrix depereti (rodent or rabbit)

neocricetodon magnus

apodemus gudrunae

Apodemus atavus

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/180429-Waldmaus-01.jpg

Micromys bendai

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Micromysminutus1.jpg

Occitanomys brailloni (mouse like creature)

Stephanomys

Centralomys benericetti

Paraethomys Meini

Glis minor
https://www.colourbox.com/preview/1258705-minor-rodent-climbed-a-small-tree-in-forest-glis-latin-name-dryomys-nitedula.jpg

Glirulus lissiensis Picture in this book

https://books.google.com/books?id=XLTw2WNHR1wC&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=Glirulus+lissiensis&source=bl&ots=xmz8BOoXjG&sig=ACfU3U1DAdNnclweOxUyZuxtr9XBvuEQLA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwioyqDKsdfoAhVBMqwKHcAaAs0Q6AEwBHoECAkQKw#v=onepage&q=Glirulus%20lissiensis&f=false

Muscardinus vireti

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Haselmaus.jpg

Eliomys yvesi

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Eliomys_quercinus01.jpg

Sciurus warthae

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u4htQAebmVk/UzuTlzLWFTI/AAAAAAAALsQ/ZswE1V56yZQ/s1600/Sciurus+vulgaris.jpg

Pliopetaurista pliocaenica

Hypopetes hungaricus

Sciurinae

Prolagus sorbinii

https://thewebsiteofeverything.com/img/Sardinian_pika.jpg

Leporidae

https://live.staticflickr.com/4280/34905647790_197abb49ae_b.jpg

Whatever the temperature down at the bottom of the basin, it didn’t prevent abundant wildlife.

1 Like

Your Testudo are not social distancing. :grin:

1 Like

In Deuteronomy 5 it doesn’t mention the creation week, just a normal week. So no triad needed. Actually no triad needed in Exodus 20. So again what is your point? If a triad is not used for every mention of a week it can no have meaning in Genesis?

And as I quoted above, the sequence does not imply a chronology.