Did Jesus walk on water or is the story just a literary device?

Sorry, but no: historians regularly accept assignment of authorship that comes from three, four, even five centuries after the events or after the documents were originally written. But when it comes to the Gospels, without having any manuscripts of the start of any of the Gospels that lack a claim of authorship, they assume that the Gospels were originally completely anonymous. If the Gospels were treated like other ancient documents there would 't even be a disagreement over the ascribed authorship. They’re arguing that absence of evidence is evidence of absence, and that’s blind.

LOL

In every single other case where authorship is ascribed a gap of merely forty years would be considered so short there’s no point in disputing the attribution! Scholars take the word of people a lot longer than that after the original writing was done as not bothering doubting.

Only when it comes to the Gospels. No one argues that Aesop’s fables were written by Aesop (which ones he wrote is sometimes argues about), but the first attribution of authorship comes two and a half centuries after the accepted time of composition – and that’s common with ancient Greek material.

Sorry, but I began learning Greek with texts far more ancient than the Gospels, and it’s standard that assignments of authorship from centuries after the composition of a work are accepted without question… until it comes to religious documents. When the Gospels are the topic, suddenly a gap of a century means the authorship was made up later on, but with secular literature three centuries is no barrier to accepting assigned authorship.
Authorship is only disputed when there is evidence against it – until it comes to religious literature, and then absence of evidence is treated as evidence of absence. When it’s secular, tradition is accepted as indisputable without evidence against it; when it’s religious, tradition is despised until there’s evidence for it.

That double standard has been going on for some two centuries now, so this statement is a joke:

They have two different sets of standards, but that’s a topic you don’t bring up if you want to get a master’s degree, let alone a doctorate. That’s a truth I ran into in graduate school – and got told to ignore if I was going to pursue a degree in the field.

No, it isn’t, because with the Gospels the material was written while eye witnesses were still around to protest. There are even examples of things written when eyewitnesses were still around and the writers got scorned for being dishonest.

I don’t give a fig for any “conservative narrative”. There’s nothing in the Gospels to suggest “community authorship”; that idea was a pure invention by critics who needed something to write about. This is confirmed by the fact that numerous topics important to early Christians well before the Gospels were written do not show up in the Gospels at all, they only show up in the epistles – and if they were written by “communities” those communities would hardly have missed the chance to insert paragraphs speaking to those concerns. The whole idea that the Gospels were the products of communities can only hold if the Gospels were completed before 50 A.D. when Paul was first writing.

Those are still argued; the debate has gone back and forth since Origen and Augustine and still hasn’t been settled, though it’s certain that neither Matthew not Luke “copied” Mark; they wrote their own material and for sections Mark had already written they often just borrowed that existing material – it was a fairly common practice among Roman historians including biographers.

None of those is earlier than the end of the second century, so they don’t even enter the picture – by the time they were written, the canon was mostly settled; roughly a dozen books were still argued about and seven were accepted. Thomas, Peter, Judas, etc. were never even on the radar – and that’s not guessing, it’s certain because people who would have mentioned them if they were even being considered don’t mention them even though they mention other works that got rejected.

No assumptions involved. Very few scholars any longer date the synoptics later than about 65, and I’m being generous by allowing for that late a date. Personally I hold that Matthew’s Aramaic version was complete by about 45, Mark wrote before 55, Matthew’s Greek version came shortly thereafter and lazily used Mark’s Greek whenever it covered a bit that was already in his account; Luke finished his work before Paul’s execution, around 58-60, and John weighed in about 65-68 (and is not the John of the Apostles but another John who lived in Jerusalem and didn’t travel with Jesus).
If I wanted to make assumptions I;d moved those all earlier by five to ten years.

No, I’m presuming that the Gospels were circulated a bit faster than we know that Paul’s epistles were and they were being swapped between churches almost as soon as he’d written more than a half dozen. From the evidence the church epistles now accepted as genuinely Paul’s were almost everywhere around the empire (and beyond) even before Paul’s death for the simple reason of travel back and forth between Palestine and Rome: traveling Christians stayed with the churches wherever they traveled, and the churches eagerly desired copies of anything of Paul’s a traveler might have, and the churches at both ends of this common circuit made a practice of sending along copies. So the moment any Gospel was available it would have joined the ongoing exchange, with the result that by the time John wrote it would have been a poor church indeed that didn’t have the other Gospels already.

There weren’t “dozens” until much later – if there had been they would have been mentioned in the early lists but they weren’t.

That may have been true thirty years ago but it isn’t any longer. The trend in scholarship has been to recognize that the traditional accounting is much closer to the truth than the old critics guessed – and “guessed” is an accurate description, because the first late dates assigned to the Gospels were made up out of thin air.

It would be nice. But we’re given what we need for true belief. Sometimes I think that we’re given the Bible in the form that we have it is as a test of humility (not gullibility ; - ).

I would guess that that is because it really doens’t matter. Who knows if there really were a historic Aesop or if that was a pen name or a latter attributed name. Even some of Shakespeare’s writing has been questioned, but we still refer to the plays as his despite any uncertainty. With New Testament writings, some have made their being written by an eye-witness or an Apostle to be an integral part of their being authentic. Evidently, just being inspired and preserved by God regardless of who put pen to paper is not enough for some. This results in the gymnastics used to somehow hold to the Apostolic authors, even when that evidence is scant. then there is Luke, who makes no pretense.

1 Like

Yes, for me I think there is enough there (i.e., “the reliability of scripture for what it intends to convey”) to warrant my rational commitment to the person of Jesus. I think faith = trust/commitment, however, not “belief with no uncertainty”. So there is always that tension between my faith in the presence of doubts. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing.

1 Like

I was just now welcoming @RoyC back with a reference to his aphorism, which I think is important (his aphorism, not my reference ; - ).

1 Like

Indeed. Interesting conversation!

1 Like

I hadn’t seen that one yet. I’m wondering if he goes with the rather over-optimistic view I’ve heard that puts Mark at like 40 A.D. which I haven’t bothered to examine because I really don’t seen any motivation for such a date – I suppose I’ll have to check that and this out.

Well, that answers that!

Both of those are ludicrous – they’re nothing more than attempts to push the date later than 70 A.D. Does he really think that no one had heard of a legion before?
And for the coins, Roman coins had Caesar’s image on them since about 40 B.C.

That isn’t scholarship, it’s justification of bias.

1 Like

In order to assess an argument you actually have to understand it so you can dialogue with it. Otherwise you are just being disingenuous.

From a summary post on academic biblical on Reddit:

————————————-

1. Denarii were not commonly used in Judea before the Flavian period and neither were any other coins with “Caesars” on them.
  2. There were no monetary taxes associated with a census (Mark uses the word kensos specifically) in Judea before the war. Most taxes were collected in kind - wheat or crops, not cash. There were tolls and other fees that were paid in cash, but they were not associated with a census.
  3. Jesus, being a Galilean, would not have had to pay any Roman taxes anyway because Galilee was still an independent tetrarchy under Antipas at the time. It had not been annexed in 6 CE along with Judea.

Zeichmann thinks the story is best explained as an allusion to the fiscus Judaicus (literally “Jewish basket”), which was a tax on Jews levied by Vespasian in 71 to pay for the Capitoline temple to Zeus in Rome. That tax was 2 denarii and those coins had “Caesar” Vespasian on them (“Caesar” had by then become a title for the Emperor, no longer just a family name).

The “Jewish Tax” was controversial for Jews because it collected money to pay for a pagan temple. Zeichmann is arguing that Mark is commenting on how to handle the question of whether it was kosher to pay it. The answer given to Jesus suggests that the coins should be seen as already belonging to Caesar and therefore not a per se breech of Jewish law. They were just giving back what Caesar already owned and it did not imply any idolatrous intent.

The main thesis, though, is that the seeming allusion to the Fiscus Judaicus has to mean that Mark was writing later than 71 when that tax was imposed, and that no other Roman tax would have fit the details of the story before the Jewish War.

Zeichmann does qualify his argument to say that it would only be valid if Mark was written in the region of Palestine or the Lower Levant. If it was written in Rome, the anachronisms would no longer obtain.

————————————-

You claim “Roman coins had Caesar’s image on them since about 40 B.C.” but my understanding is the argument says “Denarii were not commonly used in Judea before the Flavian period and neither were any other coins with “Caesars” on them.” The argument is not “No Roman coins had Caesar’s on them until post 70CE.” Please note the “in Judea” as well. The devil is in the details and the argument is also qualified in that it is contingent upon a non-Roman provenance. Professional scholars often have highly nuanced and well researched views.

Whether it is accurate or not, you can read Zeichmann’s 2017 article from the Catholic Biblical Quarterly (an extremely reputable and peer reviewed journal—AKA not an Internet forum filled with untrained opinion) here:

Academia Zeichmann CBQ 2017

That comment is embarrassing since you clearly are not even dialoguing with the actual argument being made. Maybe you or @Dale (since he liked your post), would care to offer a critique of the actual argument?

In the end, if you were looking in a mirror, you would be correct about “justification of bias.”

Vinnie

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.