Did Darwin get anything correct and what did Darwin get wrong?

that’s not answering my question.
It’s a simple question…

2 Likes

Are you saying that the reproductive fitness of humans increased with respect to chimpanzees because of evolution? How would you know? Ecologists don’t compare the reproductive fitness of different species.

Indeed. And conversely, where is the logic that someone who won the lottery probably did not win the lottery?

1 Like

No, I am saying the population size of humans has grown over time. This is not the same as comparing species “fitnesses”. I’m not going to repeat the same points over and over because it is clear you need to put in some of your own time to brush up on basic concepts in population ecology first.

And you still didn’t answer my question about whether you have taken university classes in ecology? I think the crickets here speak volumes :wink:

3 Likes

We already know that it is against the laws of ecology to compare the reproductive fitness of different species. What else do I need to know about ecology? You can fill me in.

You brought it up. There is nothing about chimpanzee and human population and differential reproduction that is in the least problematic for common descent.

I will if you pay the tuition and enroll in one of my classes.
In the meantime, there are plenty of textbooks publicly available to start with.

4 Likes

So, you think that an increase in the size of a population over time has nothing to do with reproductive fitness? Let’s use the Wikipedia link that you used earlier:
Fitness_Biology

Do chimpanzees have the same value of W as humans? Perhaps at n(t=0), humans had a much greater population than chimpanzees?

Above, you selectively edited out the part of the Wikepedia definition about the relative growth rates of competing genotypes/phenotypes being in the SAME GENE POOL!

I will no longer respond to your questions in this thread, as (with much repetition) it is apparent you are not asking questions in good faith, in a posture of learning.

best to you!

5 Likes

I am reading a review available at the Templeton organization’s web site:

Extended Evolutionary Synthesis
A review of the latest scientific research
By Lynn Chiu
Department of Evolutionary Biology
University of Vienna.

I have not completed my reading, but nonetheless I am puzzled by the combative tone I note in exchanges (by biologists from what I can tell) regarding this approach.

If this is an effort to improve Darwinian theory, then my impression is that it is a very big improvement. During my student days, I was uncomfortable with the dogmatic stance may evolutionist took, and I guess that impression is re-enforced when I read these exchanges. For what it is worth, my impression has been that Darwin provided semantic (or description) concept of biology, and a great deal more is required before whatever version of evolution begins to look like a robust, mathematically scrutinized theory of the physical and biological sciences.

I hasten to add that the field addressed by Darwinism is probably the most complicated and opaque one, so it is understandable that progress is required.

I’ll see if I can help.

If by ‘this’ you mean the EES, it’s not an effort to improve Darwinian theory. The individual research programs that make up EES are efforts to improve evolutionary theory (which is very different than the original Darwinian theory), some of which are very important. EES is a public relations attempt to promote those efforts. Both EES and the opposition to it are largely about jockeying for resources and prestige within the broader field of evolutionary biology, which is precisely the sort of thing that academics are most likely to get testy with one another about.

1 Like

Where did I ever say such a thing? You have gone off the deep end.

3 Likes

Carl Zimmer has a good write up on an EES meeting, and he covers some of the larger issues and discussion points that are happening within biology about the topic.

In the article, Douglas Futuyma echoes what a lot of biologists are thinking:

1 Like

Mutations. At this point in the thread, how do you not know this?

3 Likes

So they are adaptive mutations? Do they have a probability 1 of occurring?

Once they occur the probability of them occurring is 1 in 1, because it happened.

If I draw 5 cards out of a deck the probability of getting those specific 5 cards is 1 in 2.6 million. This is true for every single 5 card hand I draw. How is it possible for such improbable outcomes to happen every single time?

3 Likes

You’re still repeating questions that have already been well-answered, Alan. It might be helpful if you gave some indication of understanding this basic probability concept yourself. You seem to be wanting to only consider all probabilities as if they were as yet unspecified things in the future - even if they are already part of the known and observed past. You are wanting us to say that the probability of getting a HHTH in a series of four coin-flips is 1/16 - which it is, if I specifiy that exact sequence in advance of it actually happening, but you seem unwilling to acknowledge that after I’ve seen it happen (or fail to happen), that probability can now be considered as having resolved to 0 (it didn’t happen) or 1 (it did). Instead, you’re wanting to insist that it’s still some sort of tiny chance of having happened (which is you painting a target around an already-existing bullet hole). Can you understand why your argument thus cannot carry the load you’re wanting it to?

2 Likes

So, you claim that all the adaptive mutations have already happened, so their probabilities are 1. Is this how you do conditional probability calculation?

So, you claim that all the adaptive mutations have already happened, so their probabilities are 1. Is this how you do conditional probability calculation?

Even moderators don’t know how to do conditional probabilities. Adaptive (selective) mutations are particular mutations and the probability of any two particular mutations must be computed using conditional probabilities. Wikipedia shows how conditional probabilities are calculated.
Conditional Probability

Do you get it? The first event has already occurred and then you compute the conditional probability of the second event occurring with respect to the first event occurring. No matter how many times you or T_aquaticus repeat it, the first event does not have a probability of 1. You have to compute the probability of both events occurring jointly. You and T_aquaticus are repeating the wrong information and repeating the wrong information does not make it right. You do not understand the basic principles of probability theory or T_aquaticus.