Did bones actually become fossilized in the sediments of "ancient" epeiric (inland) seas on continents?

Neat, my wife is from Annaville, and daughter now lives at Ingleside. Too humid and too many mosquitos for this guy.

But it’s not just mine. Another thing science doesn’t care about–whether it is in minority, or in the majority.

Ever hear of geologist, J. Harlen Bretz? Back in the early 1900’s he argued that the Scablands of eastern Washington were not formed according to mainstream uniformitarian views–millions of years of gradual erosion. Rather, he argued they were carved out by catastrophic flooding waters.

After 50 years, mainstream geologists finally caught up with him–acknowledging he was right. So, by your reasoning, all those 50 years that he wasn’t going along with mainstream thinking, he was guilty of “pseudoscience.” But then–50 years later!–suddenly it’s not pseudoscience after all!

Again, true science does not care how many, even scientists, accept it.

1 Like

I hear you, brother! Part of the reason I’ve been living in the Pacific Northwest for the past 45 years!

1 Like

Welcome, Matthew!
I am challenging the mainstream explanation for how it is we find marine fossils practically covering every continent.

The mainstream explanation is that ancient inland seas were on the continents, and that marine animals living in these seas died, their bones drifted down into the sediments of these shallow seas, where the bones then fossilized.

We started by pointing to the many “whale fall” studies, where entire whale carcasses drift down into ocean sediments, where–as a rule–they are completely consumed by bacteria within about 50 years. And so, needless to say, they do not fossilize.

Yet, even if they escaped consumption by bacteria, there is no evidence that bones become fossilized–permineralized–on sea floors. Rather, permineralization requires deep burial in muddy sediments…it doesn’t happen in loose sediments on ocean floors.

In fact, if it did, then we should be able to find fossilized bones on the sea beds of inland seas today, it seems to me.

And, yes, on the other hand, I do believe the Flood model–which accounts for the sudden, complete, and deep burial in muddy sediments–explains not only the existence of the sedimentary rock layering we find, but also explains the fossilization of the billions of marine animals we find in these sedimentary rock layers.

The Flood model says these “seas” weren’t seas at all, but instead were powerful ocean floodings that transported and deposited across the continents the marine sediments that constitute the rock layers we find.

1 Like

How would a flood produce sediments made up of crinoid plates that are thousands of feet thick?

3 Likes

Where is this deposit?

Carved out of what?

Here you go:

7 Likes

Hey Don. At least you want to be loved. And you instinctively know that the trick to that is to love.

1 Like

The landscape.

" The Madison sea must have been shallow, and the waves and currents strong, to break the shells and plates of the animals when they died."

So, much is said here about waves and currents strong enough to bust up not only crinoid plates, but even shells–in fact, in massive numbers. Does this really sound like something a sea would do? Or, wouldn’t this be more what we would expect from catastrophic flood waters?

In fact, in the paragraph just below your quote, the broad extent of this formation is described–which again, fits the Flood paradigm very well.

The marine incursion (called “The Madison Sea”) occurred during the Kaskakia megasequence, and covered a large extent of both the United States and Canada. But as with the other major marine incursions–the Sauk, Tippecanoe, Absaroka, Zuni, and Tejas–the hydrodynamics sound more like catastrophic flooding, not 1/4 inch per year seeping of ocean waters onto the continent.

The thickness itself of this limestone, as it loaded up on the western margin, is easily accounted for by the Flood, especially when this margin likely subsided due to the same subduction that would also set off megatsunami-like flows of sediments onto the continent.

“Here you go.”

By the way, thanks for sending this article–very interesting, especially since it’s in my neck of the woods (Montana).

1 Like

Amen, Klax.

2 Likes

And how long did that take to form? Not the gorge, we know all about that. >=25 x 55 yrs from 15-13,000 ya most recently. And >1.5 mya. Not in an afternoon in September 4370 ya. But the rock strata exposed all the way down to the basalt. How long did they take to form? A day or two a few months earlier?

Bretz’s position was not psuedoscience in the way you want to present it. No one disproved Bretz which I think disqualifies his explanation as pseudoscience. YEC theories have been disproved, yet some still advance them. They are pseudoscience or more accurately, wrong.

1 Like

The term"powerful ocean floodings" sounds fast to me. How long did these flooding last?

1 Like

And this quantity vs time argument also reminds me of a similar argument made with regards to hominid tools in which there are many trillions of tools as well, begging the question of what manufacturing technology homo habilis had to produce such a large number.

3 Likes

We don’t really know, but clearly, the uniformitarian model (“hundreds of millions of years!”)–which is still being used for the fossil record–has been falsified by the findings of the Scablands.

But the bigger lessons here are…1) Mainstream scientific thinking is not always right; 2) Mainstream scientific thinking is very hard to change.

How long will it take mainstreamers to finally gain insight on the formation of the Grand Canyon, from what they’ve finally learned from formation of the Scablands canyons?

The point was, minority scientific views are often a priori dismissed as “pseudoscience.”
You say, “No one disproved Bretz…” But the majority of geologists did think they disproved him…for nearly 50 years.

For nearly 50 years, Bretz was the “YEC” geologist among mainstream geologists!

There were six main floodings throughout the geologic column, each recorded in the sedimentary rock record, as a “megasequence” (or, “first order sequence”). Within each of these megasequences were many smaller sequences–each a kind of pulse flow. These are illustrated in sequence stratigraphy (or Sloss sequence) diagrams.

Mainstreamers, using the uniformitarian model, estimate each megasequence at about 100 million years. Flood geologists, though, place this series of megasequences within a one-year global Flood.

1 Like