Did bones actually become fossilized in the sediments of "ancient" epeiric (inland) seas on continents?

We can see sandstones, shales, and limestone being deposited right now, and it isn’t due to an ocean rampaging its way across a continent. Just go to the bottom of any local lake and you will find the beginnings of shale.

A fossil is any trace of ancient life. Even a track way

The point is it doesn’t require being covered to be in a low oxygen environment. Anoxic water occurs in “sea water, fresh water, and ground water.” There is no need “to seal out oxygen” because there is no oxygen to begin with.

1 Like

You can also have peat bogs, tar pits, and the like. Local flash floods can often sweep large animals away and bury them quickly, much like the mammoths at Waco Mammoth National Monument. History & Culture - Waco Mammoth National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

1 Like

Citations, please.

3 Likes

Again, citation please.

3 Likes

Interestingly, sandstone can develop in deeper ocean areas due to underwater slides and shifts from delta areas. One can see how that would kill and bury sea creatures as well. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876380413600385

So why the italics?

However, they do experience other chemical changes–organic molecules in them (structural and pigment proteins, e.g.) decay, and eventually (highly conditions-dependent, between 100,000 and 450,000,000 years) aragonite (standard in mollusks, but not crinoids) will turn into calcite (and into dust at the same time). Aragonite can also be replaced by other minerals-like in the Tampa Silex Beds (replaced very slowly with quartz–the microstructure is preserved).

Or before staying exactly where they were deposited–many marine deposits show evidence of no transport–like wide ranges of particle size, preservation of articulated bivalves, or very fragile shells.

Yes, that is a fairly typical definition for things that have no (rapid) chemical change, like mollusk shells.

2 Likes

Yes, they’re called “trace fossils.”

Sorry. What are you referring to? I don’t remember putting anything into italics.

But do you have any source that says fossilized bones have been found within this sandstone?

Sorry. I read many articles without filing them. I just remember reading this figure. But I’ll see if I can find it.

Do you find the distinct groupings of sedimentary rock layers–bounded by unconformities–being formed today…with “fining up” of sediments in one sequence (for transgressive ocean flow) and “coarsening up” in another (for regressive ocean flow)?

…which would have been completely washed away if the fossil record had been laid down by a violent flood.

2 Likes

What is a fossil?

How are fossils formed?
“There are four main steps to making a fossil (see image below):
First, an organism dies. Anaerobic conditions exclude bacteria and other predators that consume bodies before burial, so organisms that die in the deepest ocean or in a deep lake are more likely to become fossils.”

https://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/G204/lectures/204fossils.html

“Very quiet water (like the bottom of lakes, lagoons, etc.) is very good for preserving fine details (especially of small-bodied organisms), but only if that bottom environment is not populated by worms, clams, and other sediment-churning animals: for example, if the bottom-water is anoxic.”

Yet bones are completely consumed, ultimately by bacteria, in (at least) sea water.

But isn’t it interesting that a “flash flood” also wiped out a herd of 10,000 (8 to 11-ton) maiasaurs in Montana…and a “flash flood” also (at about the same time) wiped out another herd of massive dinosaurs (Centrosaurus) in Alberta, Canada…and a “flash flood” also (at about the same time) wiped out a herd of other dino’s in China…and other places around the world, at about the same time.

In fact, paleontologist Jack Horner (of Jurassic Park fame) said it was “catastrophic flooding” that wiped out the maiasaur herd he had discovered–though, of course, he wouldn’t attribute it to the biblical flood.

But it would certainly fit the biblical Flood model.

Only if “about the same time” was within a 40 day period, rather than millions of years. And if you would find large mammals and modern animals mixed with those fossils. Otherwise, it just means flash floods are not uncommon, just as we see today, and since they create the conditions necessary for fossilization, fossils are pretty much going to be found in area of flash flooding and rapid burial.

As to fossils found in deep sea sandstone, we burn a lot of them in our cars, as they form fossil fuels. Sandstone sedimentology and stratigraphy - AAPG Wiki

3 Likes

Thanks for the article. Clearly an introductory, non-technical piece for students not very familiar with fossils, and a very broad overview.

I probably missed this in the article, but since I can understand most of it, it’s clearly aimed at intro level students and covers a great variety of fossils. I wouldn’t expect high levels of technical detail in a source like this.