Denying that God is triune puts you outside orthodox Christian teaching?

Well the title read denying that God is triune and immediately Arianism and all those sects came to my mind
. So thatd where i got the question. Sorry if that want about that.

But arent we debating about the Trinity anyway?

Your question seemed to be addressed to people who deny the deity of Christ or those who believe that Christ and the Father are two different gods? I wasn’t aware there was anyone here representing those viewpoints who could defend them. We just seem to have people who are quibbling about how the doctrine of the Trinity is stated. And to be sure I am sypathetic with those who are wary of some of the terminology but not with those challenging the decisions of the first Christian ecumenical council in Nicea 325 AD. I just found your questions confusing for that reason. But perhaps they were more rhetorical than the inquiry I took them to be.

1 Like

Ok then its my fault. I thought we were debating about the connection of the persons of the Trinity. Was too lazy to read all the unread comments so i see my fault.

Apologies my fellas.

Hey, it getting towards 400 comments! You’re forgiven! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nick, are you saying that there is no distinction between the Father and Son and Holy Spirit?

When was the distinction that the Father was greater eliminated?

John 14:28

You heard that I said to you, ‘I go away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I

By distinction i mean seperation. Like some claim Jesus to be created by the Father

Ok, Nick, but take a look at the verse again.

John 14:28

You heard that I said to you, ‘I go away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I

Jesus was going to the Father. Does that imply separation?

No im just saying. I generalized the term seperation i think. Plus i gave you an example

Thanks, Nick.

It is these unclear differences in words, including separation and distinct and hypostases and consubstantial, that supports my contention that people should not be excommunicated for differences in such matters.

We are called to believe in and follow Jesus, not in pronouncements from a fourth or fifth century church council which was rejected by other church groups.

1 Like

Follow him yes but in the right way. To be honest i dont give much attention to those words unless they want to disprove Jesus deity or the realitio ship between the three persons.

What do you think the right way is?

I think the right way includes avoiding sin, doing good, loving one another.

We don’t love one another by excommunicating followers of Jesus based on disagreements on word meanings.

What do you think the right way is?

Who cares about excommunication. So a priest will decide if i can go to church? Of course not. Here in Greece there are countless excommunications for stupid reasons . Does that mean people stop beign Christians? Of course not. Majority even go to the church. I agree with you on the right way

1 Like

Interesting… I have never heard of anybody being excommunicated in my lifetime except in the Mormon church.

Ohh here in the Eastern Orthodox one we get ones a lot usually people like me who you know dont pray to Saints Or Mary(although i still honor her) Saints from the other hand are a complicated phenomenon here. In my luck i have found a good priest on my local church that know this about me and is fine with it. If it were someone else he might have reported me to the local bishop and i would have been excommunicated

4 Likes

I mean not a lot but you got the point

Nick, thanks for sharing and continue to do what God leads you!

1 Like

So why go on about Nestorius? Have you even visited a Nestorian church? Do you talk about this with your pastor? Nobody is defining God. Churches should be allowed to state what they believe, and to require certain beliefs of members and pastors. Some are more rigid than others. If you don’t like something you can take a hike.

I am a member of a wonderful Episcopal church in Manhattan. I live in Connecticut but take the train to church. We have very good theology classes, for one thing, so it’s worth the time and effort to commute.

4 Likes

There are many points of view in EO and considerable robust debate(s). What we agree on are dogma that has been accepted by the Church over the centuries, and I do not know of anyone who, for example, disagrees on the Trinity and remains an Orthodox Christian.

4 Likes