Debunking Conspiracies (CDC Version)

I used to live in Taiwan and Indonesia and have traveled pretty extensively throughout Asia so I suppose that is why I don’t have a problem with masks. I agree with the article. But my friend’s article has caused me to wonder if masks do reduce oxygen. Also, I see people running outside wearing masks even if they are by themselves. Is this necessary?

Masks have a long history of being worn in ORs for hours on end with no real problems. There is a little increase in dead space with means you rebreath a little more air than you normally do, but would be significant only if you had severe COPD or pulmonary diseasewith CO2 retention. If that sick, you probably already are using an oxygen supplement. You have much more rebreathing while snorkeling and such. Wonder if There are any studies of ladies wearing burkas.
As for rebreathing viruses, that is silly, as they would be your own viruses.

4 Likes

Not to mention labs and microbiology classes. And even to protect against fumes and dust.

1 Like

Yes, but that is why the studies had me wondering, because they were all done on people who work in the medical field.

Here’s some good CDC conspiracy stuff in the news lately:

This was helpful to me to communicate in two conversations lately.

1 Like

Yes, but you see the mask activates the virus! It might make a good bioweapon, for all we know.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

For reference, this article mentioned a research study that found face masks to be ineffective- it has since been retracted:

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/L20-0745

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.