David Gelernter and Stephen Meyer?

Do you have any evidence for this, besides your word?

Only rationality.

For the conclusion on top of there only being evidence for meaningless order. There is nothing missing in physicalism.

I personally believe that humility requires me to be open to the possibility I am wrong. As such, this litre back and forth between @Relates and @Klax got me thinking…

There is also the possibility that the universe is like a Jackson Pollock painting. We look at the random splats of paint on the canvas of the universe and perceive order and/or meaning, and/or rational intent. However, there is always the possibility that the universe is not more than a collection of random events that, like paints splats, appear ordered and meaningful.

I don’t believe that to be the case neither do I think the evidence points that way. But it is still a possibility That must be considered even if I ultimately reject it in the end.

1 Like

What evidence?

Yes, that is true, but we do not live and act on the basis that on the possibility that all of our understanding the the universe could be wrong, or we would not live and act. We live by faith, regardless of who we are and believe.

It is also possible that 2 + 2 = 5. It is possible that there will be no tomorrow. It is possible that the universe is only 6,000 years old. It is possible that God is not loving. But the evidence that we experience every day and every hour clearly indicates that the universe that God created is good, rational. and well ordered.

1 Like

No it isn’t x 6

Klax: Meaninglessness and ateleology don’t mean that random chance - the sound of one hand clapping - is the ground of being.

Maths and logic are instantiated in God before He does anything else. They are grounds of God’s being.

Klax indicates that he thinks that the universe is meaningless and without purpose (ateleologic,) but this does not mean that the universe is the result of chance. If the universe is not the result of God’s purpose or plan, what else could have caused it?

My position is that the universe is rationally structured because it is the result of God’s purpose and plan, and therefore, it is rationally comprehensible by humans created by God is God’s own Image.

Klax says that math and logic were instantiated (a made up word) in God before the Creation and they are the grounds of God’s Being. YHWH the God of the Bible created the universe and all there is out of nothing. YHWH was not created out of Bring or the ground of Being.

Klax says that order does not imply or does not indicate meaning. The point is without orde4r there is no meaning, therefore order must imply meaning, even though I would not say at this point that order must create meaning.

Klax says that the universe is without purpose and meaningless, but rational, because God’s ground of being is according to him rational.

The only evidence Klax offered was “rationality,” which is meaningless here. Then he says that the universe contains only meaningless order. Because his ideology says that the universe contains meaningless order and physicalism claims that the universe is meaningless, then it follows that physicalism is rational.and true.

On the other hand I believe that in the Beginning was the Word/Logos/Jesus Christ and God the Father used God the Logos/the Rational Word to create the universe through Him. Jesus is rational. Jesus’ life is meaningful. Jesus’ life is purposeful.

Jesus and God are Love, which is rational, meaningful, and purposeful. The universe is also rationally structured, meaningfully structured, and purposefully structured. The proof is in the pudding. The proof of the meaning of life is in the living, not in some ideology.

I didn’t say it did.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.