Creation Photos Around the World

Thank you, @klax! Those are stunning.
Lands End looks like a wonderful place. Enjoy!

1 Like

A new moth for me. First time I’ve seen it. Black and white mostly. Some yellow dots hidden on its side. Pretty large. Bigger than the imperial moth.

My cat and hand xd. Watching horror. Looking forward to the next few months. Terrifer 2 is coming out. It’s really showcasing good vs evil through symbolism. Art the Clown ( villain) hunting down Sienna Shaw on Halloween night whose dressed as a angel. The first one is on tubi which is free.

Then there is the new Hellraiser film. Though missing Doug ( original pinhead actor ) this one will have Clive Barker ( the author of Hellbound Heart and Scarlet Gospels which the movies are based off of) hands on.

Then the “ My Best Friend’s Exorcism “ which is a southern gothic horror film.

There are also others that should be coming out that y’all probably never heard of. My friend ( online acquaintance really ) made the found footage film “ be my cat “ is close to releasing “ we put the world to sleep”. Adrian Țofei first film is also the first found footage horror movie released from Romania.

Also Chucky season 2 is coming out.

I know know about 9 horror movie titles! Up from about 0.
Nice moth!

3 Likes

Some pretty coastal pics.

Been a long week. Worked Sunday through today. 10 hours everyday and 14 hours today. But no break. Working 8 hours tomorrow and then back to Monday through Saturday at 10-12 hours. I have a feeling this is going to be another year of working 40+ days straight at 8+ hours a day then then take a day off and do another 40+ days straight.

3 Likes

My verbascum is not pretty. But it sure is tall, taller than me. I’m guessing 6 feet.

This in the wild part of our property that we leave to itself.

2 Likes

Looks like the same one I’m growing. Do they die for good in the winter or just die back. Mine could go either way but I like them to remove the old and move new volunteers to the desired locations each year because the foliage looks so much better that way. I also cut the flowering heads off when they finish so they can push up new ones.

1 Like

Oh, mine are uncultivated weeds. I don’t know if they die all the way or just to the ground. It’s surprising what is winter hardy here sometimes, although lots of plants look completely dead. I can mark that plant with a stake and keep track to see what happens.
I have had moss roses in pots that freeze solid for months, and they come back from the roots every year. My chives, too.
I’ll see what happens with the verbascum.
This one is in a spot I will be able to monitor in the spring.
I bettrr not do a crit theory book group again next summer, or it’ll all look dead again. Utter neglect. Like some grad student is running this house.

1 Like

Hah with one kiddo grown and long gone that describes our place to a T. I make the garden and Lia makes stuff in her studio but neither of us is much motivated play house.

2 Likes

Some pictures from a hike on Mt. Pisgah, NC. The mountain’s primary fame is as the global salamander diversity hotspot (mostly the lungless plethodontids).

A skipper

Vitrizonites, a land snail shell. It is very thin, and mostly organic. Some become wrinkly (all-organic) after the animal uses all of its calcium for laying eggs.

Various Mosses

One of the many local salamanders

A Plethodon of some sort.

A Blackburnian Warbler

A male Black-throated Blue Warbler

@klw, we heard a few Cerulean Warblers, but didn’t see any.

5 Likes

Nice biodiversity! Being from the west coast myself, the Cerulean warbler has eluded me so far in life, but is high on my “most wanted list”. Wonderful black-throated blue though! Warblers get a bit tough in fall, once the young’uns are out and about and they start to molt in fall plumage :smile:

3 Likes

These two (and the Black-and-White that was also in the tree) are pretty easy. Female Black-throated Blue (which was also there) is extremely drab, but distinctive (overall yellow-olive-drab, but with very strong white wingbar). A lot of the others are harder.

3 Likes

One of the species of American meadow beauty. The seed pods looks like little cups. But you can barely look at this flower without it’s petals falling off.

Various shades of the red maple. They have leaves that vary in color year around.

4 Likes

Stunning flowers! You’re a good photographer too. I’ve got a first time bloom in the garden, actually three of them grown from seed a friend gave me six years ago. The seeds are actually small bulbs, like those that Naked Ladies (to which they are related) form except smaller. We think these are Brunsvigia littoralis but since he grows both there is a chance it is a hybrid with B. Josephinae (a bulb tgat rake 15 to 20 years to bloom from seed. Both are African bulbs. All three plants in this area that are blooming are six years old and first time bloomers.

Imgur

The second photo was taken earlier but shows the relative size of the three which is pretty variable.

Imgur

Imgur

5 Likes

Great pics, we have had a lot of galls on our oaks this year also.

2 Likes

Okay; I nominate that as the scariest named thing that I want farthest away from me. Murder hornets sound like they could be potentially more adorable in comparison. And the pictures live up to the name.

2 Likes

I have reached another milestone with the microscope; here are pictures 5500, 6000, 6500, 7000, and 7500:

If you’ve ever heard of “Calabash” in the context of seafood, these are from the town’s marina, back when they were digging it (my grandparents collected the sediment these were in in 1974, specifically). These are between 1 and 3.5 mm long.

4 Likes

On larger scale, a thunderhead at least 375 mi (600 km) distant, maybe 450ish. ; - )

1 Like

Right now.
A beautiful day at the Japanese Garden at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

2 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed the Asian garden aesthetic. I wonder if those are lilacs in the foreground. Those are the fragrant flowers I couldn’t think of before which don’t do that well here.

I got up to a nearby estate garden with Lia last weak and found this African bulb in full bloom, Scadoxus puniceus. They’re not very tall but the flowers are impressive. The foliage will emerge after the bloom is done.

Imgur

1 Like

My flowers are hydrengeas. They are splendid this time of year. Lilacs were done by June.
Here, Mark, for you. They are all over hiding…

1 Like