Creation Photos Around the World

@Jay313, you’re going to make @LM77 feel bad. :scream:

4 Likes

Yeah, yeah … whose moth is bigger? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Only moth I’ve ever seen wearing camo and the only creature of any sort to ever make it look good.

6 Likes

Haha. Last one, since I don’t tend to take pictures. The view from my house in the barrio. The clouds and mountain were beautiful tonight, the longest day of the year.

6 Likes

It is really pretty. I like how it’s wings kind of looks like it has a spider web design in it if you look closely in the mid to lower part of the wing in the other pic. It stayed there for almost 24 hours and so this evening I turned off my light and waited a while and went back out and it was gone.

If you have any nocturnal plants, they are normally fragrant at night with white or light colored blooms that reflect light well and shine your light you will probably see hundreds of species over the following years. Early morning right before the sun comes out is a good time too.

3 Likes

I’m not sure. I only know a few families of moths good enough to recognize what to look for. I’m also too lazy to key it out by looking form the dashes, spots , lines and margins. All of my books are also on the south eastern moths. The groups won’t let you post without location to state.

You may be able to get lucky on INaturalist and search for moths and zoom out to your county.

With that said though I think it’s a prominent moth. Which is in the family Notodonidae . I’m not sure what the other families look like on the superfamily Noctuoidea and so maybe it’s another family there so that narrows it down potentially to just a few hundred to thousands lol.

2 Likes

Beautiful country. Nice use of the clouds. :wink:

2 Likes

Na, s’all good. I love how wasps have evolved to turn the table on an apex predator like the spider.

Besides, mud daubers got nothing on the tarantula hawk wasp!

4 Likes

These are the largest lepidopterans that I have photographed: (I can’t find the 16-cm Giant Swallowtail)

Imperial Moth (11 cm) on our van tire, in our yard.

Luna Moth (11 cm) in Polk Co., NC.

Polyphemus Moth (15 cm) in our yard.

And the largest wingspan for US ones, the Black Witch (23 cm) in Golden, CO (it was sitting on one of the walls for a day during the 2017 ASA meeting)

7 Likes

Sitting outside on my back porch while it’s storming. I always enjoy looking at all the forest that wraps around me and listening to the river and just all the sounds of nature.

Have y’all seen “‘secret lives of pets”? Really funny and cool. It includes goldfish that play soccer, hiking cats that with almost 100% accuracy leads their humans back towards the camp at evening. Birds that help each other to get food. Mice that drive cars and ect… they also have a lizard that watches videos of other lizards solving problems and then copying it. It watched a video of a lizard sliding a gate in order to get to food and then it goes and opens the gate and gets the food.

3 Likes

If I saw trees like that so close to a house near me I’d think - gone with the next fire. It must be glorious to get rainfall in the hottest season.

The only one of those I’ve seen is the Luna and that was one summer on Deer Isle in Maine several or more years ago. I sure don’t see these behe-moths around me on the west coast. Big insects like these and some walking sticks are almost startling but definitely wonderful to see.

1 Like

Where I live it gets more rainfall a year than anywhere else. Even in some of the worst droughts in the last century we still get more annual rainfall than places like Seattle.

We have so many rivers, lakes and branches. After all the rainfall my favorite part is the dry spell because 2 weeks with no rain Incan go sit up close to the remaining puddles band see snakes, birds, foxes, bobcats and everything coming to drink.

The property will be way better in a few years from now as far as landscaping goes. But for now the “green inferno” is nice. Funniest part to me is when someone stays the night and realize just how loud the nature gets and how dark it is.

4 Likes

You can see stars pretty well here. When it’s a full moon and lots of clouds it lights up pretty well. But when the moon is barely there and it’s nighttime it’s pretty dark. Sometime soon after clearing a lot out I’ll definitely go back with nocturnal blooming fragrant flowers and stuff with lighter foliage in many spaces to give it more at night.

4 Likes

I was sitting on the porch when this black wasp few onto me and dumped this spider on my lap. It appears to be a widow spider of some sort, hourglass is ventral, stripes are dorsal. I guess the wasp dropped her babies to be lunch. It was quite dead or subdued by the wasp, thankfully.

7 Likes

Excellent paint job on that spider. Got to like it when the world is this ornamental. Very generous wasp too.

Let us break spider together on our knees…,

5 Likes

Sausage made from mushrooms and tofu.
Fried apples with cinnamon and sage.
Processed some dates, figs , and almonds together and then sliced it up and cooked it. Added a bit of maple syrup to it.
Sliced and fried bananas with a bit of salt and smoked paprika.

A pretty sweet, savory and spicy meal to kick off the fourth, for those who celebrate it. I celebrate it in one of those a young ways where I make a handful of dark snarky jokes about slavery, genocide and call it julytenth , or way this the day before or after all the other wars here we killed and enslaved people. I don’t do it to much. Just a good couple of bits to irritate some of them that try to pretend like it’s an america holiday Vs a settlers holiday.

Some little mushrooms. No idea what the species or anything.

4 Likes

Butterfly milkweed

7 Likes

I’m curious–do the British have fireflies at night in the summer, or another similar insect with bioluminescence? My kids and I have been collecting them at night. Last night, my son squished one in his room, and couldn’t go to sleep till he had cleaned up the creepy glow from the carpet :slight_smile:

They are beautiful!
Thanks.

4 Likes

We had them when I lived in Maryland just outside of DC. Nothing like that here. :confused:

1 Like

Wild rose, bird’s foot trefoil, and blooming prickly pear on the North Country Trail, near White Cloud, MI
Home - North Country Trail Association

3 Likes