Creation Photos Around the World

Thanks! That’s really interesting. I will have to read more about that. I appreciate it

The phylogeny has been updated a bit–they are in sister-group families within the same superfamily, but European Robins are muscicapids (Old World flycatchers, chats, etc.), and American Robins are turdids (thrushes). There are a few “rare stray to [Alaska or Newfoundland]” muscicapids, but they are all Old World. Redwing, Common Blackbird, and Fieldfare are all other members of Turdus.

4 Likes

Ah, @jpm, thank you for this. Quinoa may not be the alternate protein for my husband after all. Plant-based eludes us so far.

Certainly it is possible to be plant based, it just takes variety. The beans and cornbread I just had is a great combination. Of course, I also had ribs with them.

2 Likes

Tyramine seems to be a migraine trigger for my husband. Trial and error seem to support this. All the good plant-based protein sources I’m familiar with are on the “bad list”. If he limits foods with a lot of tyramine (and other things, too like nitrates and msg), he has a much better time keeping his auras and headaches under control. His attempt to find a great snack food in sunflower seeds was a disaster, for example.

Now that really is a great combination! Haven’t had ribs in forever. Think I’ll make them the next time my brother brings his kids over.

2 Likes

The beauty of God’s hand in creation never ceases to amaze me.

8 Likes

Beautiful! What kind of bird is that, and where did you see it? Thank you.

Very cool. A purple gallinule according to Merlin.

1 Like

This is a Purple Gallinule which I recently photographed at Brazos Bend SP in Needville, TX.

3 Likes

Looks more like some exotic bird from the tropics. Was it a local or just passing through?

2 Likes

While not as numerous as the Common Gallinule they are regulars in the wetlands of the Gulf Coast region.

2 Likes

Wife and I went for a beach walk on a rare child-free evening, and found this lovely Psilothrix sp. beetle on a seaside daisy. Love that iridescent green that is common to this kinds of flower beetles.

5 Likes

There were a few here:

but they were further away, and my pictures weren’t quite as good.

1 Like

I have nothing at all exotic – just another view of a (bearded) iris from my yard.

6 Likes

Like looking into a kaleidoscope except a more interesting silky texture.

2 Likes

That will do very nicely!

One of the Monterey Pines at Carmel Mission:

6 Likes

Nice!  

Last weekend we had company, and this Korean lilac was at peak bloom. It’s incredibly fragrant.

It has a mate out front behind our swing, where I was loafing a while after a bit of weeding.

4 Likes