Creation Photos Around the World

Thanks for sharing this. So cool.
Yeah, the rays I’ve encountered have all been “de-barbed.” I think you are wise to keep your distance.

I’ve got a short aeonium from the island of Madeira getting ready to bloom for the first time. Frankly the flower isn’t the main show so flowering is worrisome as any head that flowers will be done for. A. glandulosum grows on vertical walls often near water in habitat. I’ve had it growing at the top edge of a raised planter for several years and any water is incidental from watering its neighbors. It’s a survivor. Each head is about 16 inches across. This plant had four heads but one was always buried under its neighbors so I cut it out, repotted it and finally planted it out last winter. Here is what it looks like in the winter when the new growth comes in.

Imgur

The outer leaves get redder as the season wears on.

Imgur

Imgur

You can see the new foliage developing toward the center. Eventually it’ll flatten out and replace the old leaves.

Here are flowers forming on just one of the heads so far (and hopefully the other two won’t follow suite).

Imgur

3 Likes

Four inches of snow in May (it depends how you measure – four inches slid down on the windowpane, nothing sticking on the ground ; - )…

And badly needed moisture!

2 Likes

So this is currently what I’m working on. It’s actually very detailed info. Very technical and really helping me to understand the minute forms of the plants. Will be beneficial in helping layering them around the ponds and obviously inside them. Definitely want to do rain gardens and bog filters leading up to them.

I’ll write down all the families from there and cross reference them with this link so that I can then look up all the genre under them and all of the species that are native to my area. Once I get that info I’ll begin to look up subspecies , cultivars and hybrids of them and then begin filling out that info with their foliage type, flowers, bloom season and heights and so on. Once I get that I’ll be able to begin searching out contacts from nurseries, brokers , collectors and plant enthusiasts around me so that i can use them in installs. I imagine many will be commercially unavailable and will require me to get permits to collect them and maybe eventually some commercial property to grow them for my business.

This is the link to the flora mapping system I’ll cross reference them with.

3 Likes

I love reading about your plans and the research you put into your work. What a great research project!
Awesome resources. Thanks for sharing them. The Fed Doc (Federal Document) SE US plant guide is fantastic. The drawings have enough detail to actually be useful. I am about to throw all my Audobon plant guides out. They never have the information I need, unless I already know the plant. I’ll check to see if there’s a guide similar to yours for my area.

2 Likes

Botany in a Day is a fantastic one. It really helps narrow down on a lot of plant families and genera. ( I don’t know why my phone always changes genera to genre ). As you learn them, and how to interpret a plants anatomy you can then really get some good with typical plant ID books. If you look up plant keys for your region or area you may find more technical field guides.

2 Likes

Thanks for the title and the term “key”. That is opening up a new range of reference tools more like what I need.
I’ll be extra happy to find tools that address all 4 seasons as well. When I am looking at woody plants in the early spring, I’m sure I have enough information to get closer to a good id than my books allow that rely on flowers and leaves.
Friends keep telling me to use the Picture This app. It’s been a joke so far.

P.S. This talk about keys gave me an idea at work today. One of the things I do is create book lists of books on different topics in our collection to share with our patrons but also with public libraries we serve, who want to have book lists to share with THEIR patrons, but don’t have time to come up with them. I’ve done a list on gardening books for Michigan a few years ago. But I never did one on good Michigan botany books for plant I.D. I found some cool stuff today, and some of them are primarily keys.
So, thanks a lot for an interesting idea as well as interesting information. Somebody in Michigan will benefit from this exchange.

1 Like

These are all of a gray rat snake I found earlier while on a short hike. Really pretty color. Decent sized. Little under 4 feet. The red circle is showing how well the snake blends in with the tree limbs. In the first pic you can see some of its bite marks. I got bit quite a bit because I was holding it single handily.

That’s a baby ring neck snake. Probably the southern rink neck subspecies.

4 Likes

The rat snake is incredible. First I saw a stick. On the tree it sure looks like a hefty vine of poison ivy, even the way it slalomed up the tree.
Ring neck snake is fascinating. How did you find it? Itks so tiny!

Terrible year for wildflowers with the drought here, but had a few pretty pics of drought tolerant plants in the yard.

Cactus flower on a tree chola.

bird of paradise plant as is commonly called., Erythrostemon gilliesii, unrelated to the true bird of paradise but pretty closely related to the more showy pride of Barbados that is commonly sold. This one is winter hardy whereas pride of Barbados freezes to the ground each winter.
And a little grey tree frog tucked under on a fence post. I have not seen that one around here before, but hopefully will survive the dry weather. it is close to my garden, so maybe it will find shelter.

7 Likes

Gorgeous! And maybe especially the frog. ; - ) (I love the ‘wheel wells’ and ‘fairings’ its legs tuck into. :slightly_smiling_face:) I can tolerate the markings too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The Coral Bean. I’ve shared this species before. It’s in the Pea Family.

Prepping for a job. Got a call for another pond repair and rebuild that’s 3 hours away at a really nice house that’s a summer home up for sale. It’s a few acres on the backside of a national forest in florida. The job will take about 15 hours plus the 6 hours of commute. So I’ll leave at 3 am and get there around 6am. I’ll work 12-13 hours. No one is living at the place and so I have permission from them to stay there that night. They have a small garden room that’s 10x10 with a ax unit with a grill. So the next day I’ll spend the final 1-3 hours to fine tune it and fill it all the way up. Then I’ll spend a few hours hiking the forest and come back making sure it still holding and head back home.

4 Likes

Had a helper in the kitchen, when I was making supper today. I managed to get some shockingly good picture (for me) afterward. I find lady bugs (even the impostors) really fascinating to watch. The detail of their mouth parts and feet, especially, is exquisite.

They are also super finicky about cleaning. Just like my cat, they clean their ears/antennas with their hind feet. This procedure is delightful to watch.

5 Likes

Echiums are blooming again. Looks like one will be quite a bit bigger than the others.

Imgur

Imgur

One of the smaller ones is quite a bit further along into blooming.

Imgur

Imgur

5 Likes

Stunning garden. Everything. How absolutely beautiful!

1 Like

Michigan has a number of defunct rail lines, whose tracks were reclaimed many years ago. The mounds and beds are very durable and lots of them have been turned into excellent walking/biking trails. One goes through St. Johns, Michigan, where I was walking, while Youngest Daughter was at dance lessons. Look who visited, while I was out.

About 30 feet away from me. There are actually two deer on the right.

About 15 feet from me. Alert, but not skittish. These deer live in the fields and woods right around the city. They are clearly used to people. The ones in my yard would never let me this close.

About 6 feet away, just across the path. This guy was pretty curious, too. I was hoping he’d lose interest and go back in the woods, after I started kept walking back to town. He did.

5 Likes

We lost the Santa Fe line in the early 80’s and that has led to bike paths and green spaces here too. The park behind us was created then and the creek which had been buried was daylighted too.

Nice to see deer… unless they’re pruning your garden. I’m very lucky that deer don’t come quite as far down from the hills to be a problem here. By way of compensation we have very large, cheeky (and non-native) squirrels.

2 Likes

Beautiful! I was talking about deer with a neighbor who is 101 years old now. She said that 70 years or so ago, they had very few deer, and never had to worry about their gardens with them. I now have to have an electric line on the top of a fence to keep them out!

I like your bike path. We have a similar bike path converted from an old rail line near us, that stretches to Hart and Shelby–we love to ride the trail as a family. After that, we usually visit Country Dairy, which supplies great ice cream (and negates all the benefit of the bike ride!).

2 Likes

How delightful!

1 Like

We see them in our yard, too, but we are out farther from town, and the deer out here don’t want people out free ranging around them. They do eat our plants. Which I then replace with stuff they don’t eat.

2 Likes