Creation Photos Around the World

Sound like a good run.

I always think the same about where my fiancée is in China. Her coldest temps where she lives in winter are upper 50s but almost always lower 60s. Then in summer her hottest temps are around mid 90s. So where I live it gets colder and hotter. But she stays warmer all year and has almost a unending growing season. Really looking forward to going there. Want to visit some of the places mentioned by Li Po.

1 Like

that is interesting. Thanks!

In our region, within about 50 miles of Lake Michigan, we’re affected by winds off the lake. So, winters are milder, and summers are cooler; and there is an increased snowfall “lake effect” in the winter. People who visit from the Upper Peninsula, which is more Canadian Shield form, with lots of rocks, lakes, and less soil, say it’s very mild here. However, we range in the negative 10s to 30s in the winter, and in the summer up to 60s-80s most of the time. Lots of wine producers rely on grapes from this region, as it’s more moderate (kind of like parts of northern California).

However, where I lived in Africa, which was Sahel, the coolest was usually in the 50s in the winter; it was dry, with scattered trees and short grass. Summer was frequently to the 100s, with a hotter season in the spring and fall, separated by a wet season from May to September. I’d love to visit China with my family, too.

Niger - Climate | Britannica

Where I live the coldest is mostly around 40s and the summers are mostly upper 90s. But we hit cold fronts of upper 20s a few times and especially hot days around 115.

1 Like

I built my house right inside the rain forest. It is at the very end of a road that was built to the edge of the forest.

So I have wild life coming every day. It was fun in the beginning having them arrive every day, but now, after 20 years it has become a chore to feed them. And they are very demanding.

There are about 100 bush turkeys,

That is a male breeding turkey.
The turkeys come inside my house, but only through three special windows. But they come onto the balustrade at the back.

about 8 or 10 kookaburras,
around 6 butcher birds, some black some brown

and a few pairs of bush fowl.

They are nearly always on the ground level but this rare occasion I saw them in a tree.

Then there are goannas, one of them came up the smaller pole, I couldn’t discourage it enough and it came up the pole and into my house. It was in the walkway. My house is in three sections connected by walkways. I ran inside closed the door, next thing I know there is the goanna between me and the door. It came through the cat hole.
goanna on Christmas eve

I threw every thing I could lay my hands on that was light weight and it took refuge in the bathroom. Then I got enough courage to open the door and with many pieces of chicken I enticed it out and into the back section and out the back door.

Then there are also kangaroos and wallabies. I make bread for them with lots of fruits, walnuts or almonds, chia seeds and sunflower seeds. I do have a few photos but I have to look for them. They are hard to photograph as they arrive in the late afternoon and there is less light plus they blend in with the background.

The snakes come at night after the mice. This one of Estia looking under the freezer.

Then there are frogs day and night. They eat the mosquitos and flies

There is other wildlife too but these are the ones that I feed.
Feeding these guys costs about $1,000/ month.

6 Likes

I live in a house with trees and lush vegetation all around.
I think you will enjoy also the song of the butcher bird. It has earned a nasty name because it can be pretty brutal, but God has made it with a magnificent singing voice.
Free stock video of bird sounds, butcher bird song (pexels.com)
There are a few places with other bird calls but it is mainly the butcher birds. They sing these songs at the end of their breeding season, when their hatchlings have flown out of their nests. It is recordings from several days so over an hour long. It has louder and softer sections depending on how far they were from my house. And there is a little bit of wind too. I listen to it sometimes when I’m doing some painting.
Enjoy.

2 Likes

Thank you! That is beautiful.

2 Likes

I hope the RAIN forest lives up to its name and resists catching fire. After that huge fire you recently had down under it would worry me some. In California we have come to expect a fire season when the smoke will darken the sky during the day and necessitate more mask wearing when going outside can’t be avoided.

I enjoy walking in more natural areas but now I’m pretty happy living in a suburban area both for the convenient access to all the things we use or do regularly but also to avoid the worry of wildfires. We used to enjoy driving up near Point Reyes Nat. Seashore where Lia’s parents built their last house. Their house was the second to the last house on the road and they were the last to build here, at a time when couldn’t own the land outright but only lease it from the government for forty years. It wasn’t a rain forest - more like a cloud forest which is the source of the kinds of plants that do best for me too. They lived on the Point Reyes peninsula just north of Tomales Bay State park.

I took this video after her parents had died and we were going up occasionally to clear things out in preparation for giving it up to the parks. The slower blue merle Australian shepherd, Fletcher, was our first herder toward the end of his reign. The quicker pup, Heidi, is the aussiXheeler we rescued to replace a still older dog. Heidi just died a few weeks ago of degenerative myelopathy. The video just shows the road from the water tanks where we’d stop on our way in to the house but it might give you an idea of the what the countryside is like.

4 Likes

Just came across this video while looking for something else. It was taken last year on Christmas day at my favorite place to walk the dogs, Fort Funston beach on the southern most tip of San Francisco on the ocean side. The place is not pristine wilderness by any stretch of the imagination. Lots of invasives including ice plant, pampas grass and acacia trees and sometimes the beach and trails are filled with people, dogs and horses while hang gliders and ravens fill the sky. But on this day we appeared to have it to ourselves. Still love this place.

4 Likes

Yes, that is a lovely place. We were there when my boys were in their early teens, so it was fun for them to watch the hang gliders launch and land. The batteries are eerie and don’t add to the beauty!

1 Like

This is some of the greenbrier from yesterday I harvested. Snapped it into smaller pieces and sautéed it with onions. The rest of the meal was store bought or made with bought ingredients. The sweet cornbread has applesauce and jalapeños added to it.

2 Likes

When I think of the horror film, Green Inferno, I think of this type of greenery. Dozens and dozens of shades of green. So many wonderful floral smells though and lots of birdsong all day long.

3 Likes

This time of year it is raining every day and my creek is flowing. Most of the year it is dry.
From your video it is hard to see how the forest compares. Maybe similar. Heidi looks like a very active dog, sorry you lost her. Both the dogs looked good in the video.
I made a video of the creek and the bush around my house so you can see. The rain doesn’t bother the turkeys at all. I have shown them too. I am waiting for it to come on line and I will post it, soon I hope.

The road you drove along is narrow. My house faces a 4 lane street, though I’m at the very end of it where it goes round a roundabout so is only two lanes.

There was a fire, deliberately lit from what I heard not long after we moved in. The smoke came down the hill. Then there were two fire alarms in the back of the house tampered with one about two or three years after the other. I think this was rats, the two legged human variety. I got the alarms removed as the insurance company didn’t care if they were there or not.

I am not worried about bush fires. Most of them are down south in NSW or Victoria. However if the worst happens then I will move somewhere else, maybe on a main street with a highly visible sign on the house to annoy my enemies even more. If they are stupid enough they might try to hassle in this way.

2 Likes

This is the video. It is 3mins. Probably the second half where I feed the turkeys has more further away views. The first half of the creek I tried to show the trees next to my house. It is a bit jerky in parts but I was trying to film and feed turkeys at the same time.
Free stock video from Anna · Pexels

1 Like

This is about winter temperatures for me in Cairns. 63 to 79 is winter.
75 to 89 average in Summer.
So your summer is the same as my winter!

Of course we can get down as low as 57 (14C) degrees in the evening in winter and as high as 98 (37C) degrees in the daytime in summer.

1 Like

It always seems new, every spring: Jack-in-the-pulpit, trillium, and trout lillies (you can see why my 7 year old daughter calls them “banana flowers”) sprout determinedly through the leaf matter on the forest floor.

3 Likes

Luckily Jennifer Corvino lead me to these beautiful little creepy crawlies. Then she led me to find some other more ghastly things lol.

2 Likes

One thing that I really enjoy about living in a watershed , with a creek that runs through it is how durning big storms, my 3-6 foot deep creek that’s 8 -12 feet wide expands up to 15-20 feet deep and 30-50 feet wide.

4 Likes

They’re still horrifying in real life. but I like to look at pictures of them. haha

1 Like

Circle of life

6 Likes

This is Drosera tracyi. It’s found along the boggy areas of the gulf coast. It’s also called Tracyi’s Giant threadleaf. Its a type of sundew.

This is another plant in its same genus. It shows just how different this genus can look while maintaining their obvious similarities as well. It’s a sundew, but I’m not sure which one it is.

5 Likes