Creation Photos Around the World

The coldest I have been outside in was -26 C. The all-time record low where I live is -24 C.

3 Likes

That’s plenty cold for sure! Colder than -30 C seems to be another threshold of coldness to me…but anything below -30 C qualifies as “a bit brutal out today”… I wonder how the birds manage. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That must be fairly common? Our wild turkeys are never in groups of more than five or ten in the summer, but one winter decades ago, I counted 65 (20 to 30 is more typical)!!. Some wanted to roost on the ridge of our roof – not good on shingles! We discouraged them by throwing pebbles at them, and curiously, we haven’t had that problem since. Another icy winter there were 20 or 25 pheasant hens together on an ice-coated field!

1 Like

Ya’ll up there are tough!
-17C is about my limit, and I hate it that cold. It gets colder here regularly, but I’m not out in it!

2 Likes

Oh man Kendel, you’ve got a doozie of a winter storm heading your way! If cross-country skiing isn’t a favourite option, maybe curl up with some mocha in a mug and Kierkegaard…???

2 Likes

Yep! I think other folks around the forum live farther west in the north and have already seen some of this fun.

We’re bracing ourselves. Got gas for the generator, more than enough food for anyone who might trudge over, snow tires on Scott’s car and the old Subaru that goes through most anything.

I’m in no condition to go skiing these days, and I think for my pansy-like, delicate (out of shape) condition it will be way too cold. When it warms up a bit, I’ll be happy to trudge around the property and get back into the wilderness I leave for the mosquitos in the summer. It’ll be fun to see what’s been leaving tracks, etc.

We’ll start leaving the front lights on tonight for stranded drivers.

And this map is quite cool. NOAA always has amazing stuff to learn about on their website, as you watch it out your window as well (image is a still with the link to the dynamic map):

4 Likes

This one is good – note the drop-down menu for parameters and the slider for the time in six-hour increments, and it’s pannable and zoomable: Graphical Forecasts

1 Like

Stay warm, Yanks! Only down to 14 here last night, but blue sky and sunny. Huddled up and sipping hot chocolate.

3 Likes

My clinic is closed today–we are answering messages from home and some of us have got telemed visits. You’re pretty cool down there, yourselves! It was 5 degrees today–we had about 5 inches of snow overnight (not as much as I thought would come), though my family on the lakeshore, 30 minutes to the west, had lake effect double that. I’m glad it’s not as bad as it could be

4 Likes

Heatwave here this morning! :hot_face: +2°F! :slightly_smiling_face: Wednesday night, -18°F, the high yesterday, -4°F. :cold_face: Thankfully no frozen pipes, but I did leave two faucets dribbling Wednesday night and was also thankful for the incandescent 100W bulbs that I still have – one in an old drop light under the sink in the garage raised the temp. by the plumbing from 32°F to 40°F. :+1:

1 Like

Wow, you’re a lot colder than we are! I think Michigan may be milder because of the Great Lakes. I find that anywhere to the West tends to be a lot colder–I remember visiting in Wisconsin, and surprised to have -40 degrees (like you). We seldom drop lower than 0 F, though it would be unusual not do to that a few times a winter.

I hope you keep your power! Today has been mainly email concerns with patients, and calling a few, all from home. The directors of our health group shut down routine visits to avoid potential injuries of patients driving in.

Winter storm live updates: Power outages hit 1.5m across US and Canada - BBC News

1 Like

It’s been exceptionally cold where I am compared to our normal temps. Typically it’s in the 40s-60s here in winter. The cold front though keeping us around 14°f-30°f for a few days. I really hate it. I did not go to work today. Have a small job tomorrow through. I ended up going to the book store just happened to be opened up at 7am. Stopped in there randomly. Found a book i was looking for, “ Communion “ by Whitley Strieber. It’s called “ nonfiction “ and is an alien abduction story but I obviously don’t believe it. But it’s often considered a fantastic horror story. While there I saw some random old book called “ The Invaders “ by Keith Laumer which i another extraterrestrial horror novel they was wrote back in 1967. Lately I’ve been craving science fiction horror. Even been listening to this podcast about the alien, predator and Prometheus stories. Then seen some 3rd edition of a book called “ mountain pony “ by Henry Larom published in the 40s but the is a 3rd edition for the 60s. Been thinking about my horses lately. When I joined the army someone stole them all. I was pretty , and am still pretty mad. caught one of them, Comet, when I was about 10 years old and had him for 7 years. He was left at my grandfathers farm when he was stolen. I was in Washington state and 2 years later in the military when it happened.

But I caught him as a small colt. A brown mustang. Broke him in. Trained him really well. Could even fire a gun off of him. From like 12-15 I was paid $50-100 to train horses. Break them in and get them use to saddles and stuff. Took like 3 weeks to do it and I was doing 10 horses or so at a time. Was bucked off thousands of times xd. But at that age I was making $1000 a month and that paid for anything I basically wanted at that age.

That was one of the years I was in school. We loved way out in the county and the school was public but because of gang violence we all had to wear uniforms. Had to ride the bus for over an hour in each direction to get to the school. Plus we had to walk like 45 minutes because they would not come down the dirt road. So we had to walk like 3 miles to the pavement part and the bud would come there. But I always ended back up into home schooling. But it’s me and my younger brother and my horse Comet.

Anyways saw the book and it reminded me of my horse and so I got it.

Pitcher Plant flower , dead , with a bug staying warm inside of it.

Not sure of the species but really liked the red buds.

4 Likes

Stay warm! That’s quite a temperature drop, when you’re not used to it. We’re at about 10 in mid michigan, and I’ve heard of much colder today. So take care!

It was neat to read about your horses and school.

Enjoy your new books…with the cats…under a warm afghan!

2 Likes

This popped up on Fakebook from six years ago. We rarely get to Fort Funston in the afternoon but we were obviously there at sunset. The specks are the dogs I had back then.

We’ll be headed over there this morning after breakfast. We have lots (I hope) of rain coming in later staying for days. Woohoo!

Imgur

3 Likes

Jack’s on the green.

4 Likes

Cotoneaster & Persian ironwood

3 Likes

Thanks! Gorgeous!

2 Likes

Those are gorgeous. Long ago I was cyber friends with a wonderful photographer and gardener in Iceland. She used to photograph most exotic ice variants. She has passed on but she took all these photos which I collected into a Flickr gallery.

Imgur

3 Likes

Meanwhile we had a lovely hike before any rain arrived today. An exceptionally high tide covered the beach while we were there. The view looking South

Imgur

and my furry posse on our way back from the beach.

Imgur

More troubling than the tides was the number of young kids in tow. My 1.5 year old McNab (a border relative) thinks they all need rounding up and unlike a border collie, McNabs don’t work patiently using ‘the eye’. So we frequently got in some alway s useful leashed walking. No one knows what the secret ingredient was that Mr McNab bred in with his borders when he came to Northern California just before 1900. I’m guessing velociraptor.

4 Likes

Good looking dog. Reading on the McNab’s history was interesting, and yours looks like maybe a little blue heeler in its heritage. I an currently dogless, but my grand dog is an Aussie, which has a similar disposition.

1 Like