Creation Photos Around the World

On a run this morning. I really enjoy hemlocks in the snow.

3 Likes

Beautiful! I love how they smell as much as how they look.

1 Like

1 Like

Woke up at 330am like normal. Went to the gym and then came out here and was here around 730 and went on a 90 minute hike and now about to work for 6-8 hours on this house. Went doing small fixes for the contractor that he and the client did not like
From a previous subcontractor.

3 Likes

Obviously, I am behind on prepping the yard for winter. Sigh.

3 Likes

Yikes! Getting a little of the lake effect stuff, looks like. Very pretty, but bet it gets a little old as the winter goes on.

2 Likes

Actually, I am about as far as one can get from all the lakes in MI, a bit south of the center if the Lower Peninsula, where we don’t get lake effect snow. Randy gets it all! No, this is the new freakish normal. Our weather has always been unpredictable moment by moment, but climactically reliable. No more.

1 Like

Beach and sea wall? Gorgeous view.

1 Like

That’s a really interesting phenomenon. Usually, the snow from the lake effect stretches about 15 to 30 miles in land I think. We live just on the edge of that, though most of my Michigan family live closer to the coast. I used to drive to college inland and would cross the lake effect wall, coming and going in undergrad. It was cool!

Interestingly, this time, we went to a family reunion today. The people that drove in from inland actually had more snow than those that came from Grand Haven and Muskegon. That’s usually the opposite way.
My lawn looks a lot like yours. Unfortunately, about half my lawn has leaves which I joked to my mom are just keeping the earthworms warm. We still have some picnic tables out from a picnic we had before it got cold.

2 Likes

It’s just the decking around the house.

1 Like

Found a pretty big Boletus mushroom. It should be an edible one. When pinched it never turned blue in it’s bruising. The taste test was not bitter. I found three of them that size. Picked two and cleaned them and have them in the fridge now. Once they dry up a bit I’ll move them to the deep freeze and probably eat them Tuesday evening. At worse case, I’ll get sick but not die.

In the meantime, you can consult your keys! There is time before Tuesday!

https://alabamamushroomsociety.org/identification

There’s the Alabama Mushroom Identification Forum on fb, which I can’t get to show up here.

1 Like

Absolutely alien!

Ended up eating one of the mushrooms soon. Tried a bit a lunch and made the rest at dinner. Plus I have like 10 more. Each very big.

Sliced them about 3/4 inch thick and sautéed them in olive oil and some liquid smoke with salt. Really tasty species. Most likely a pine bolete or one of the separations of it such as Boletus pseudopinophilus.

Also tofu and potatoes.

2 Likes

You make those in the last photo look tempting. Some can taste like steak. Those gave that look.

The “ old man in the woods “ is often used as mushroom steak. Similar texture and gets red and black.

3 Likes

Another first is in progress here a tiny relative of Melianthus major that I’ve been growing for several years now in my garden and now it has two flowers on it. All of these grow in highland grassy fields in Southern Africa. M. major grows in a floppy foliage that looks good while young and flowers freely though nothing to write home about but the one I’m growing has powdery blue foliage that only grows to about a meter and always looks with stems that start out maroon. The flowers I’ve seen on it online are vivid red and mine are showing a hint of this being true. First a pic showing most of the whole plant.

Imgur

Now today’s pics showing the buds with the close up showing the color of the flowers to come.

Imgur

Imgur

Finally here is a photo off the internet showing mature flowers.

Imgur

The one I’m growing is called Melianthus pectinatus. I’m hoping to get seeds and grow much more of it.

3 Likes

Had a decent thanksgiving day. Watched a few episodes of Wednesday and then went to a Pow Wow for a few hours. Ate fry bread and smoked corn and grilled veggies. Then went hiking. Came across a neat mushroom that was white and light purple. I think it’s going to be some kind of shelf mushroom. I’m not sure though.

Found a bunch of oyster mushrooms too. Will try them up tomorrow for breakfast.

The shirt is nice. In line I was going to get the light blue one but someone else got the last two right before me. So then I was going to get, and did get the mint green shirt, and it was the last one in that color but as I was leaving the girl behind me, asked for the mint green and was told the last one was just taken. So I told her it’s a XL shirt, she said it’s ok that she can get another she was just wanting one to sleep in, and so I was like well, you can have it, I’ll get a darker green and so we traded. I felt like, she should have it. Not only did she travel 600 miles to be there, but she’s an actual Creek native and I would have felt weird just keeping it after overhearing it. But I like the dark green one nonetheless.

3 Likes

Besides eating the great sounding meal, what does a white, N-A person do at a pow wow?

1 Like

I’m not Native American. But generally, they don’t care what you do assuming you’re not being a *****. You can’t do the ceremony dancing wearing their uniform. Probably not a good idea in general to treat their clothes as a costume. You may or may not get kicked out. They probably would just not know or ask for tribal ID maybe? Depending on the tribe they may or may not use blood percentages, but use ancestry so there are some who are red haired and blue eyed very white looking girls whose great grandmother was indigenous and they were accepted into the tribe and have tribal ID and go to the school and everything.

Once the ceremony is done though and everyone is dancing and having fun you can if you want too as well. I don’t dance, and neither does all of the native Americans, and so what I ended up doing was watching the ceremony and then saw a couple each wearing a evil dead shirt and so we ended up talking about indigenous horror movies like Slash Back, Blood Quantum , Dead Can’t Dance and Prey.

1 Like