Creation Ex Nihilo

You are confusing the expansion of empty space with the motion of matter in space.

Here is one for you: A cubic foot of space expands to be 10 cubic ft of space. How do you measure the distance between any two points in empty space?

LoL… How do you know space is expanding unless you put two objects into the space you are attempting to measure?

George

That is correct. You can’t measure the expansion of space. But you can measure the motion of objects in space by their red shift. That is how we know space is expanding as we can measure the red shift of a galaxy and see that the red shift is greater the further away the galaxy is. Numbers like the age of the universe and the size of the observable universe is derived from red shift measurements via general relativity equations.

@Patrick

Agreed.
I think your discussion of the expansion of space is relevant to what happens to light as space expands…

But how you got to the conclusion there is no motion in this expansion - - you’ll have to explain that.

Really simple, space doesn’t move, it expands. Matter within space moves through spacetime.

Okay… so as space expands … two pieces of matter in space are in MOTION away from each other.

George

1 Like

Yes, that’s how a photon can travel 46 billion light-years in 13.8 billion years without the exceeding the speed of light in a vacumn.

For now, I will agree about a photon - - though I would prefer to see it as a light wave. @Patrick .

1 Like

I think there is a third possibility. You are indoctrinated in the beliefs of your parents, and then you grow up and question those beliefs and have a hard time knowing what to believe.

A third possibility is an agnostic - young people entering the modern adult world are inundated with contradictions and attempts to manipulate them, especially into pursuing a materialistic way of life. All young people face this challenge, and a good stable family upbringing (which is the norm for most Christians) can be a great benefit to them.

In cultures where a great deal of angst and warfare mentality has been produced around something as unimportant as biological evolution, conflicted outlooks are inevitable. In these cases, my view is to encourage young people to see that science is more then biology, and faith and science have been in harmony for thousands of years. They should examine the conflict and embrace their faith with confidence.

Adults all must eventually come to their own decision regarding their beliefs.

wow, not in NJ/NY

@Patrick

You use the phrase “empty space” which is false. Space is not empty, because energy/matter, including quantum fields, makes up space. When space expands energy/matter is the cause of this expansion.

No matter, no space. That is Einstein as I told you before. No matter, no energy, no motion, no time, no space. They are all interdependent. This is what my research indicates as Einstein said, E = mc squared.

Here is a very good description of the early universe. Take a look at it if interested.

@Patrick

Thank you, but nothing new there.

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.