Covid Vaccinations

There is a constant learning curve with COVID. But the human immune system is something that has been very well-studied. Vaccines all work in a similar way. They induce an immune response so the body develops antibodies to a pathogen, and those antibodies provide future immunity or protection when that pathogen is encountered again. It’s not like the relevant aspects of human cellular biology and the human immune system are these big, unstudied mysteries. Scientists know how it works down to the molecular level. They know a lot about viruses and how viruses work. So, in the development of the COVID vaccine, it’s not like they were working with total blank slates of ignorance. They were trying to find the best way to deal with a specific virus and develop a specific vaccine, but neither viruses, nor vaccines, nor human bodies are these vast unknown realms. We have been vaccinating and studying the effects of vaccines on people for over two centuries now.

The specific COVID vaccines were extensively studied and tested in carefully conducted human trials. The side effects are known. The vaccines have been certified as safe and effective by the agencies whose job it is to require rigorous documentation of the testing and quality control. Where scientists are still learning things is when it comes to questions about how effective the vaccine is against new variants, how long its immunity lasts, how well it curbs spread in populations under certain parameters.

But none of what they learn in those areas is going to change the basic idea that the COVID vaccine protects you against getting infected and in the chance that you get infected anyway, reduces the severity of your symptoms. It’s not going to change the fact that billions of people have been safely vaccinated and dangerous side effects are extremely rare and completely treatable. That evidence is already well-documented and this idea that “scientists just don’t know” is fear-mongering, not fact.

3 Likes

Quarantine - Wikipedia contains a list of some of the US facilities used historically.

2 Likes

And there is no government vaccine mandate for the general population in the US.

2 Likes

Actually the notion of being put in quarantine to stop infectious diseases goes back to the Bible. Look at how lepers were required to live apart from healthy people.

4 Likes

We never have perfect information, so we have to make decisions based on the information available to us. That information tells us that SARS-CoV-2 is killing millions of people and disabling tens of millions more, and that vaccines can prevent most of that loss with only very rare or minor side effects. That’s what we have to base our actions on. There is of course always the possibility that something we haven’t anticipated might happen. Maybe the vaccines will have long-term effects we haven’t thought of, even though there’s no reason to think so. But by the same reason, maybe getting seriously ill with covid-19 will have terrible long-term effects that we haven’t seen yet.

There is no escaping risk, because failing to act has risks just as much as acting. Failing to vaccinate has risks – and every bit of evidence we have, based on more than a billion vaccine doses delivered, says that the risks of failing to vaccinate are vastly higher than those of vaccinating.

7 Likes

@SaraBerk: You have to live through it first.

1 Like

Yes I have seen this. Than kyou for pointing this out!

1 Like

@glipsnort That is true, thank you. I guess that is just seems like that is the way things are heading maybe?

Hi Sara,

As always, I appreciate your questions.

Regarding Fauci’s prediction re: mandates, I would say he was right. Here’s the full quote:

“I don’t think you will ever see mandating of a vaccine particularly for the general public. If someone refuses the vaccine in the general public you cannot force someone to take it.” [emphasis added]

I am not aware of people being thrown into jail in the US for refusing to get vaccinated. If Americans are being jailed for non-vaccination and I’m not aware of it, please let me know!

As for as the limited mandates go, they make sense to me. Want to sit in a tight space for hours with fellow air travelers? You need to wear a good mask. Want to work in a health care facility? You have to get vaccinated to protect those fragile patients who need medical care but would be in serious peril if they caught COVID. Are you working hours at a time in close proximity to many co-workers? You need a vaccine to help give your colleagues a safe work place. Etc.

The key thing to think about is not: “Is this a mandate? Mandates bad, freedom good!” We all give up certain freedoms, like which side of the road to drive on, or whether to proceed into an intersection whenever we want, or whether we drive after consuming alcohol, or … [Drop in the entire U.S. code, along with the state code and municipal code wherever you live] so that, collectively, we can enjoy diverse freedoms such as the freedom to drive as safely as possible. When everyone obeys the traffic mandates, we all have more freedom because we can travel on the roads safely. But if a lot of folks reject traffic mandates, everyone on the road loses, and almost everyone’s freedom suffers.

The same logic applies to vaccine mandates. When we collectively accept vaccine mandates, we have greater freedom to send our children to schools and sports teams and all the other wonderful things kids can do these days. When we accept the situationally relevant COVID vaccine mandates, we will much more quickly reach the goal of being able to worship together indoors, while hugging, etc., without the fear of giving our fellow believer a life-threatening disease.

So please don’t set your focus entirely on the freedom of a vaccine decision; instead, focus on the freedoms that everyone gets to enjoy when the pandemic ends more quickly because enough Americans are vaccinated. Does that make sense?

Respectfully,
Chris Falter

8 Likes

Everybody is at risk of getting COVID-19. For most people, they will only develop mild illness and recover easily, but others may develop severe sickness – the most vulnerable being older people, those with medical conditions- those with a disability

Having a COVID-19 vaccine is an important step to take to reduce the serious effects of COVID-19 in people who become infected with the virus. Current evidence shows that people who have received a COVID-19 vaccine have a much lower chance of developing more serious symptoms from COVID-19. This is compared to those who did not get the vaccine.

Even though the COVID-19 vaccine has been shown to be very effective there is still a chance you may get COVID-19. No vaccine is 100% effective.

It is important to understand that the COVID-19 vaccines will not infect you with the COVID-19 virus, because the vaccines do not contain the live COVID-19 virus.

The vaccines are designed to trigger our immune system to make antibodies to the spike protein of the virus. This means if you were to ever get the COVID-19 virus, your body is better prepared to fight the illness.

Importantly, even after vaccination, you still need to wash your hands regularly and maintain physical distance to help protect yourself and others.

3 Likes

This is all true. There is a risk either way. I think we have been fortunate in my area to not have had many deaths and so maybe we are more “shielded” from the reality of what others are going through. It seems hard to try to explain to others that Jesus says to lay down our life and our rights for the sake of others, that Paul says to count others more important than ourselves, to protect those who aren’t able to protect themselves. I’ve tried to point this out to my loved ones but it seems to go nowhere.

6 Likes

That’s too bad. A lot of people are getting a lot of bad messages from places they trust, unfortunately.

3 Likes

What about the Project Varitas video that was posted with Pfizer scientists? Or Event 201?

I don’t know the video. If you mean something by James O’Keefe, why would anyone pay any attention to anything produced by someone with a long history of lying and doctoring videos?

What about it? Anyone who works in infectious disease has known for a long time that another pandemic was coming and that a coronavirus from China would be one of the most likely causes.

4 Likes

If you think about it, @SaraBerk , do you think there are better ways to check the claims of the video than simply accept the opinion of two Pfizer employees? Even if they have some expertise in the relevant areas (I don’t know their particular scientific background, do you?), does this mean everything they say should be taken as gospel truth?

3 Likes

That’s a good thought. Every time I start to think another way then I hear something else. I think there is just so much information out there.

The key thing is to learn how to evaluate which sources have earned your trust by compiling data in a careful, scientific fashion.

For example, four “Frontline” doctors with no expertise in statistics or epidemiologist recommend ivermectin on their fundraising videos. The epidemiologists and statisticians at the WHO and CDC say that their review of high-quality random control studies shows that ivermectin has no significant positive effect. Whom to believe?

Respectfully,
Chris

2 Likes

True, the same can be said of the Flu. A person can still get the Flu even if they have had the Flu shot.

Most people survive the Flu as well, yet people still choose to go get the Flu shot every year. it merely a preventive measure that offers people comfort thinking they are doing all they can to prevent from getting it.

They will never be able to Mandate mandatory vaccinations. For one it will cost them way to much money to enforce it. Money that they are not willing to spend.

(content removed by moderator)

Well the folks here are more than happy to try to help you on that matter.

They aren’t just “thinking” this. They are in actuality doing what they can to prevent getting the flu.

I would like to remind you that we will not be platforming anti-vax propaganda. This is your second warning today. Your account is going to be silenced if you post any more.

5 Likes

Chris,

Yes, thank you. I agree. It’s sometimes hard because it seems like some information is suppressed and I used to think that was a ‘sign’ or something that the government didn’t want the ‘truth’ to get out there. I see now that misinformation has hurt people and communities.

3 Likes