Covid Exit Strategy

That is so totally extraneous from where this started. I said in my blog that NY “mostly failed” to flatten the curve, others states flattened the curve, and the ones where it is now surging squashed it totally. You said NY could have been worse, something I stipulated from the outset. In fact, you’ve refuted nothing I said.
What exactly are you arguing about? If you think the second highest population fatality rate in the world is a smashing success, great. I can’t wait to hear that argument.

That’s fine. It just wasn’t the basis for public policy decisions.

I’m well acquainted with the hysteria surrounding that preliminary, unpublished field test of an early serology test that had no effect on public policy, and of which he is the 16th out of 17 authors.

0.05 to 1%, here. At that time, the WHO was saying 3.4%. So he was right, and they were wrong. Of course, there’s no magic number. But everyone now realizes the average is well below 1%. The case fatality rate in Singapore is 0.05%. Unless they are catching every single infection, the infection fatality rate must be even lower. It varies with things like quality of the medical system and age distribution of the victims (oh how I hate repeating myself).

You said, and I quote, “The Swedes disagree”. Did you mean to say, “The Swede disagrees”? Hardly has the same meaning. Nobody’s perfect.

Hope you’re still reading Lipsitch’s work. I’ve followed him extensively, and I have relied extensively on the work of his department. So you also accept his verdict that most of the world population is destined to be infected? Though, I think, the accumulating evidence is that because of pre-existing cross immunity the herd immunity threshold is going to be much lower. No point arguing; we’ll know for certain in a couple months and no one’s going to change policy because of anything I might say.

I can hardly wait either, and now the governor has a poster to commemorate his failure as if it is a success.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/opinions/the-problem-with-andrew-cuomos-covid-poster/index.html

I think the infection death rate was higher in NY because the governor forced the most vulnerable population, old folks homes, to take infected people. It was murder.

There will be no bragging over this, for sure:

1 Like

Wait times of four to six hours were the last things we needed in a pandemic that has disproportionately killed black people and older people, and in a state that reopened prematurely. It’s part of a pattern of course, given Georgia’s long history of voter suppression and the Supreme Court’s gutting of the Voting Rights Act in 2013.

Georgia put a polling place near a nursing home

I brag on the governor.

He wants a uniform state strategy.

You have argued for a uniform national strategy, but you reject the Georgia state strategy.

Do you see the inconsistency in your position?

@beaglelady

Georgia is the home of the modern civil rights movement. The heroes of the movement, like MLK and Andrew Young and John Lewis, are from here.

The killer of George Floyd is from the north.

Your geographical chauvinism is inconsistent with reality.

1 Like

Do you see yours in not recognizing the efficacy of masking and that this is a global pandemic with few real borders?

1 Like

:grin:

I think the term is backatcha!

No, I don’t see any inconsistency.

Our Governor Kemp has been touring the state encouraging people to wear masks.

I understand you think he should dictate rather than persuade. I brag on his approach.

1 Like

Your geographical chauvinism is inconsistent with reality.

To little, too late. It starts and fails in D.C.

I am not a geographical chauvinist, but I do reject the geographical chauvinism that beaglelady demonstrated.

Feel free to continue your unreasonable rant, Dale, but I would rather not.

1 Like

How many people are being infected… and dying… while you are failing to persuade?

You once accused me of being funny. Talk about irony!

I do. Are you ‘bragging on’ his inconsistent follow-my-leading example?

Governor Kemp believes in wearing masks and believes in personal freedoms and choice.

Some people find that strange. I don’t.

Do you try to persuade people that they should not steal? People should have the freedumb to drive recklessly, endangering public health and their own?

Your belief is dangerous… to yourself and to everyone else.

Governor Kemp is also apparently a hypocrite, being too weak to wear one when meeting the president. Succumbing to pressure can be a dangerous thing, not to mention unrighteous.

@03Cobra @Dale
Stop, please.

Are you freaking kidding me? Is this newspeak?
Yes, MLK, Andrew Young, and John Lewis were from Georgia, but they were opposing the segregation, racism, voter suppression, etc. that were part of the Jim Crow South, which was controlled by white people. And Georgia was a big part of it. They still have confederate monuments, the Ku Klux Klan, etc. A lot of the monuments were put up long after the Civil War, as a reminder to blacks to stay in their place. There is even a confederate monument with an inscription in praise of the white race.

2 Likes

So is this …

1 Like