Could Jesus be Wrong and still be God?

@marvin

This is exactly what I would say to those who are blind to the language being used in Genesis. The 6 days are as literal as the mountains that people have moved!

if you are guided by a God of logic and therefore insist on the logic coherence of your understanding of Jesus you will have no problem if someone comes along with a logically more coherent explanation of those stories. The question is why we would want to insist on Jesus saying something that is not logically coherent. Would we claim that a in-coherent interpretation of him would be more likely to be true that one coherent with observed reality?
Martin Luther stated it quite right, that if we can only suppress the embarrassing arguments of our critiques by authoritarian means but not by rational means we open up our religion to their ridicule.

The concept of free will is hard to fathom but Luther was right that my free will cannot change the outcome as it would undermine Gods authority, but this is not to say that he could accept Erasmus and forgive him, as he quite rightly believed we can only get there by faith and grace alone. The only certainty we can have is in God as it states in the prayer I grew up with

Befiehl dem herrn deine Wege und hoffe auf ihn, er wird’s gut machen. psalm 37-5 as I look at it that he will make it go well, meaning not that therefor he will fulfill my wishes as a reward but that I will find fulfillment in trusting his ways. I am sure a more self centered person would read it as some modern translations
and he will act on your behalf
as if he then becomes my big santa as reward. That would be logically incoherent

the 6 days are representing 6 phases and one can wonder why they actually came up with a story that used 6 phases, but it is common that the human brain has a memory limit around 7 so this might have been more pragmatic than anything else as to help people to remember the sequence in oral transmission.considering that the phase of a day could only exist at the fourth day, so it is clear that the cycle we refere to a day now could not have been the same that was applied before the sun and the moon were visible in the sky and the concept of a earthly time interval was created. Thus to think of the word "day to have the same definition over the chapter is to take the word out of context.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.