Coronavirus: What you should know

Interesting stuff. I had been taking an ACE inhibitor, but stopped as it seems folks taking them do worse (?increased receptors?).
I was reading an anecdotal report that 70% or so that go on vents go on to die, which is not surprising though the popular press tends to give the impression that if we just have enough vents all would be well. It does make one consider that DNR directives are important, as CPR places lots of people at risk and is exceedingly unlikely to have positive effect in someone with end stage respiratory failure and probable cardiomyopathy.

1 Like

Thank you Phil. I think it best to discuss any medication changes with your doctor. The jury is out on this and being actively debated. It does seem theoretically that the Ace inhibitors and maybe the ARBs May aid in the virus infection and asymptiomatic proliferation. However, it is quite possible that these same agents could be used after symptoms appear to mitigate the hyper immune response leading to ARDs and ventilation. Have a look at this very good video from Dr Sehault about this. Also there is a report out of Iran from Dr. Reza Nejat using Losartan and Chloroquine showing effective treatment of the ARDS. It may be beneficial due to the blood pressure variations in these patients to directly nebulize the Losartan into the lung to increase efficacy directly and bypass general blood pressure effects.

1 Like

Further study shows hydroxychloroquine and azithromax may not have any effect after all.No evidence of rapid antiviral clearance or clinical benefit with the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin in patients with severe COVID-19 infection - ScienceDirect

I suspect this is not the final word, but appears to be a more reliable study than Gautret’s, and vindicates Fauci’s reserved response on the subject.

2 Likes

Francis last night mentioned how it’s not been researched for its effectiveness against COVID and is not considered any type of good treatment at this time. and that everyone should just listen to Dr. Fauci all the time. Hopefully that will quell some people.

Although news broke today that the president may be pushing the drug so much because he has a financial stake in the company that produces the brand name version…so there’s that.

1 Like