Coronavirus: What you should know

This is pretty bad! AIG fundagelicals see an opportunity in the corona virus. The faithful are being urged
to buy up hand-sanitizer, etc., package it with a religious tract, and then re-distribute it.
Coronavirus: Opportunity for the Church to Be the Hands of Christ

I’m convinced that this coronavirus outbreak is possibly the greatest outreach opportunity for the church worldwide.

Really? Why not simply serve those who need help? Or is AIG acting like a virus?

AiG tracts no doubt. I like to think he means well and think that he genuinely wants to help people.

Meanwhile, is this a real thing that Britian plans to just let the thing go wild to build ‘herd immunity and save lives?’

It changed

Those of us on chemo are at the mercy of drug manufacturing in China and other countries. Sadly I know some children’s leukemia drugs are in very short supply which threatens their lives. Of course, I ahve been wondering if my drug will be available, I finally found a site that tracks drug shortages. It might be of use to someone, not that any individual can do anything about a shortage, if one wants to know, go here.

2 Likes

Here is a new update from Zdogg, good stuff to sort of review where we are: COVID-19 Medical Update March 16

1 Like

Breaking news from the UK: Church of England; Baptist Union; Methodists; and Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches (FIEC) are all suspending (or strongly encouraging the suspension) of church services.

2 Likes

My state (Alabama) was part of the Final Four in the March Illness bracket, but we lost to West Virginia.

Most of our cases are in the one city that actually has multiple testing sites. Imagine that. For a long time, the state was proudly saying we had no confirmed cases. At that time, they’d only tested 20 people! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Didn’t some leader claim that they didn’t have cases because the residents honor Jesus? Just shows that Jesus doesn’t honor stupidity.

I haven’t heard that in Alabama, but I also wouldn’t put it past many of our leaders. :laughing:

1 Like

Praying that our Reformed brothers and sisters in UK can all agree to kindly cease from quote mining Luther and Calvin for reasons to keep churches open. Great theologians they were; great scientists they were not. Particularly due to them having zero knowledge of infection control and viral transmission.

2 Likes

I don’t know where to ask this, so if u can direct me to the proper board that would be appreciated. [What percent of known viruses cause disease?] Google and wikipedia’s refuse to answer this. By the question I’m referring to all organisms.

You already got some good science answers to it in this other thread

If you wanted more follow up on it, then best keep it in one place and not keep repeating the same question in multiple threads. Though if you want discussion to continue over on this thread, we could move it here. Just cutting down on sprawl here!

Can COVID-19’s protein coat be destroyed by water, like rain water from a storm?

OK. I was just trying the best forum to post in.

No. Coronaviruses have a lipid (fatty) envelope which can be disrupted by alcohol or detergents, which is why hand sanitizer and washing with soap and water are recommended.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s interesting that soap (I like liquid dish soap) is the preferable sanitizer compared to the corrosive and toxic effects of others.

At this point, anything that comes into my house that’s been touched by someone else is either washed off with detergent or quarantined.

3 Likes

I have the advantage of being within the delivery range of our local Walmart, not that it’s particularly easy anymore to find what we need in stock or find an unfilled time slot. How long do you think it would be a good idea to quarantine grocery ‘t-shirt’ bags with unrefrigerated stuff? The delivery backs right up to the garage door and I transfer the bags right into the rear of our little SUV, and I could just leave them there. I have a sink in the garage, yay! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m doing 1 day for mail (since cardboard and paper look good after 24 hours) and 1 week for everything else. That way I don’t have to decide whether packaging counts as paper (is it coated? does that matter?) – I just treat it all the same.

It’s a bit of an adventure ordering grocery delivery. I look for things I want that are in stock, put them in my cart, wait around for a delivery window opening, and then see what’s in my cart that’s still in stock. I keep putting in tempeh and it keeps disappearing. (But I did get one squash and three bananas last night.)

2 Likes

I discovered last week when Walmart cut their times down to only two days, and the first day was full, that if I ordered right after midnight when the following day was first open. I’m not crazy about it, because it feels like “Me first!”

If I get the virus, though, and I’m in ICU and they have to triage and prioritize ventilators, I will have no problem with saying “Me last!”