Christianity’s influence on Islam

Great questions. You know, though, that Jesus’ model was to love people who disagreed with Him–so we should be biblically better friends, not worse ones.

I’m sorry that your church had such a fearsome view of Muslims. It is really natural to do that, but really painful, too.

My uncle’s church, a devout Wesleyan one, sponsored Muslim immigrants a few years ago. Maybe we can do more of that.

While I don’t agree entirely with Carl Medearis in everything, I like his books “Muslims, Christians, and Jesus,” where he talks about how to talk with and enjoy Muslims as friends.
Muslims, Christians, and Jesus: Gaining Understanding and Building Relationships: Medearis, Carl: 9780764205675: AmazonSmile: Books

1 Like

I believe so. But Muslims are not permitted to marry pagans or non-believers.

1 Like

But there are lots of Hindu gods.

Yes but Hinduism is extremely diverse and some Hindus say that the gods are all aspects of the Ultimate. This is probably sufficient for the Indonesian authorities (note the Hindus make up at least 4 million of Indonesia’s citizens mostly concentrated in the island of Java so banning it could be bloody).

2 Likes

That makes sense.Thanks. In discussing faith with Hindu coworkers of mine, they often referred to God as a singular, and I remember in Mere Christianity, by CS Lewis, he mentioned that the aspect of Hinduism which refers to God as the abstract from which all manifestations flow, was somewhat attractive to him too. I don’t know a lot about Hinduism though

1 Like

But not all of them

1 Like

You might find the SEP article on God and Other Ultimates of interest in particular the section on Brahman God and Other Ultimates (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

1 Like

Fig leaves can be useful in society.

When I was in college I was courted by a refined Muslim man from Jordan, a graduate student in biology. Aish was dark and handsome, sort-spoken, and intelligent. We talked a lot, but that is all. The problem was that he was 30 years old and I was just about 20. That was too old for me! I’m afraid I hurt his feelings, and I’m sorry for that. Maybe in his culture such an age difference isn’t a big deal. I think part of the reason he liked me was that I dressed modestly and had a quiet voice. I do hope he met a nice woman eventually.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.