Chrisentheism, a new way forward

Creation scientists use exactly the same science to come up with different measurements and when they do, they are discredited (which is the usual thing for atheists to do because they cannot accept God, or that He can create in an instant).

The “its based on measurements” line is a rather startling argument, given that you are using assumptions (via the technical term hypothesis) to generate theories, and suddenly, voila these original assumptions become fact and from that you get “measurements”.

The O.P appears to claim that perhaps we can mix the two via Chrisentheism…i have showed theologically that is not possible. I will repeat why below again

The only real claim i have consistently heard in apparent support of TEism is that man didn’t have the capacity to understand, so God told them, via a great number of face-to-face discussions with Moses over more than 40 years, a porky. Therefore the creation story of Genesis chapter 1 is basically a myth…along with the flood account and everything in between.

Some TEists don’t even believe the Exodus was a real event…or the conquest of the promised land. Therefore Abraham is also a myth…therefore the entire covenant given to Abraham, a covenant that promises a messiah who will save His people from their sins, sins that were initiated by the fall of man (ie the sins of Adam and Eve resulting in their banishment from the Garden of Eden)…all of that is a complete mythical lie.

It is at this point i put it to any TEist that Christianity is a complete lie.

You see where the allegory of the books of Moses leads us…we are led to atheism. There is no alternative given the above problems.

What you ignore, as do almost all TEists, is that one must glaze over the philosophical dilemmas in TEism and develop unsound theology in order to find compromise. That is foolhardy and in all honesty, individuals who are blinded by the claim that the only way they can believe is if God fits their science…these people are not Christian anyway and are simply deluding themselves. I am sorry to say, the biblical truth is, they will not be saved and that is because fundamentally, they do not believe…they have no faith. Faith does not come from science.

Christianity is a philosophy, it is not science nor does it care about science methods put forward by the influence of wordly men…these are not Godly things. I am not discounting science, i like science, however, i do not find God by opening a science textbook…i find God by opening the Bible. If the bible and secular science theories dissagree, then one must ask where the secular science has gone wrong. Creation Ministries and Answers in Genesis have done exactly that…they take the Bible as written and then seek to find alternative theories in the science. Just because that does not agree with your interpretation (or even the majority mainstream science), that does not mean AOG are wrong in any way…its simply means their theories and your theories are reached differently and for different reasons.

TEists use science as the ultimate authority and make the Bible fit. That puts human interpretation avove the Inspired Word of God. Whether you like it or not, there are too many self evident passages within the bible that ensure its consistency. If you start to make the claim of allegory, the entire world view falls apart…if you are to take it to its conclusion, you have to conceed that there is no God. Its the only option.

It may come as a suprise, but this is the reason why I am convinced that SDA church has it right on most theological issues. If a religious denomination denies the absolute importance of 4th comandment, they have already removed the signal biggest hurdle of the creation account. If you remove Exodus 20:11, then there is no problem ignoring the line “for in six days the lord created the heavens, the earth and all that is in them”

Adam wouldn’t we be better to say
It appears to me at this time …. Which is reasonable

That should be our stance on science as well.
During the reformation it appeared to the RC church justification was one thing, then with greater insights Luther and others (Erasmus definition I believe) clarified the doctrine. The fatal mistake is to claim Infallibility around particular doctrines which is impossible. The RC made this Papal infallibility doctrinal and forever separated the church. The true church strives for unity. We hold Jesus as the foundational truth, He is the son of God. We are theologically exploring all the other facts or particulars around the foundation of this actual truth (infallible truth which Jesus claimed for himself). Or said another way Jesus is the gravitational center of our religion, all other bodies (doctrines) orbit around and are related in many ways. We can discover more potential truth over time but may see slightly different at the time. The crux is, you seem to be willing to sacrifice the unity of the body around these particulars and claim SDA infallible on these issues, consider carefully!! We can choose to have an endless debate on the migration route to the promise land, but sadly those who complained, we not allowed in when they got there!

Chrisentheism recenters Christ as the ontological foundation on which science is done.

Refer back to original post and poem and provide some of your insights to that as I’m looking to sharpen swords not duel to the death!
thanks

A couple of days after the celebration of Trinity Sunday, I’d like to go back to the idea that Christ’s incarnation or even his death on the cross somehow instigated creation.

The Genesis account of creation suggests that mankind could have stayed faithful to God’s word and continued in the bliss of the Garden of Eden. The need for Christ’s coming was triggered by the Fall. Therefore, creation did not in any way depend on the incarnation of the Word (Logos) or on his redeeming death. Creation of our universe, or indeed any other universe unknown to us which God may have deemed desirable, arose from God’s self-contemplation of the infinite creative potentiality within himself as the one self-existent being. If the Word is seen as God’s self-image, then God the Father, the imager, sees within his self image every possibility of contingent beings / universes and chooses to give reality to those he finds excellent and pleasing. Oxford theologian Keith Ward offers this idea (albeit not in these exact words) in his excellent response to Richard Dawkins’ best seller ‘The God Delusion’.

In this context, the Holy Spirit can be seen as the relationship of love flowing between the Father and the Son. As Catholic charismatic Miles Dempsey once remarked, it is our destiny to be caught up in this wonderful cross-fire of divine love.

As John wrote in John 1, “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us”. The Word who was with God and who was God entered into a pre-existing creation through fertilising an ovum and implanting it in Mary’s womb to restore the fractured relationship between mankind and God. Creation therefore in no way depended on Christ’s incarnation but as I believe Genesis 3 teaches us, God anticipated our fall from grace and providentially put in train our escape route through Christ.

As Jeremiah proclaimed, God knew him through and through when he was still in his mother’s womb, and this is true for the whole of creation. God exists in his own eternal mode of being unconstrained by the time-space dimension he created for our universe and in his transcendence can see the whole flow of space-time from this vantage point. This of course raises interesting theodicy issues about God’s goodness and justice because he created souls in the foreknowledge that they would in the event reject him and condemn themselves to hell, but I won’t comment further on that.

I also take issue with the idea that we can enjoy infinite possibilities of growth once we are received into our heavenly home, which I humbly hope will be my happy fate. But my nature as a finite creature means that however great the heavenly blessings which God pours out on me, I can never expect to experience the reality of actually being the infinite One who has created me.

(Please note that as an Englishman my spelling will at times follow British rather than American usage.)

terry higham

Thank you for your response Thigh20. I shared your viewpoint for many years. Jesus was plan B. I no longer believe that view holds the explanatory power that satisfies the text, reason or exalts Christ above all things. I now view that position as Ontological Pelagianism, which suggests a perfect ontological creation then fall and return to perfection. There many problems with this view scripturally and observationally that the biologos community points out. I didn’t like it either trust me! But even apart from science, the theodicy issue as you admit raises the same problems as old earth. Conflict with ontological pelagianism.

I’m now thinking through this “Chrisentheism” view as a new way forward in the conversation. Jesus is the center and his work; incarnation, death and resurrection are all of necessity. Only in Christ can I and all things exist.

This position is biblical and achieves the goals set out in the opening topic statement and helps the biologos community, christian or seeker (struggling with the text vs logic/ reality/ theodicy) hold a robust, transcendent view of the creation narrative as Christ centered, foundational and true!. The ultimate purpose is to glorify God thru the work of Christ. ontological pelagianism denys the necessity of the work of Christ in creation, just as pelagianism denys the necessity of Christ’s work in salvation.

I in no way diminish the classical doctrines in regards to particular redemption or salvation of the elect. That was accomplished as you say, moral sin requires a blood atonement. But the blood is contained in a body. And that body broken is what justified the universe. You can spill blood without dieing. His body died first then his blood was spilled. This view holds Jesus as plan A to Z!

… of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. If anyone has an ear, let him hear.(Rev 13: 8, 9)
“For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist” (Heb 2:10)
“All things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.” (John 1:3)

Why does the universe require justification? The maximality of Gods actual glory (substance of God/ manifestation of omnipotence). If God is an actual infinite being of glory by definition no other thing can exists but Himself. He is all in all. In this case we need some sort of ontological protection/justification to exist in a God like that !

“he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.” (Exodus 33:2)
“for our God is a consuming fire.” (Hebrews 12:29)
“who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. 1Timothy 6:16
So it shall be, while My Glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with my hand…(Exodus 33:22)
The mountains melted like wax at the presence of Jehovah, At the presence of the Lord of the whole earth. (psalm 97: 5)
looking for and earnestly desiring the coming of the day of God, by reason of which the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? (2 Peter 3:12)

Once you see the maximality of Gods glory as an actuality (it can, and should obliterate all other things), you can see we need justification for all things. For illustration imagine Gods glory as an actual infinite laser beam, first it would be of maximal intensity, second it would occupy everything everywhere. There is no space inside or outside of an substantive actuality it simply is all. Jesus talks about this state of Glory before creation. I’m suggesting God’s “self removal” in Christ’s death allows for all things to exist. If this view is scriptural we should expect to see a negative or dead state as the initial condition with no input from God. That is exactly what we see in the text. God silence and self removal created darkness, chaos and void. His word and power proceeding forms light, order and life… the resurrection, that is good work! yes very good!.

Our salvation doctrine is now consistent with our ontological doctrine.
And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins (Eph 2: 1,2)

That was a long response sorry for that!

If you can allow (maybe even concede :slightly_smiling_face:) that God is omnitemporal, that may obviate the question (or questions)? It lets creation depend on God’s purpose for creating, and that necessarily includes our Lord’s incarnation and crucifixion… if you can allow (maybe even concede :slightly_smiling_face:) what that purpose is. Jesus was never in any temporal sense Plan B, but always exalted above all things, especially in a temporal sense.

1 Like

I 100 % agree omnitemporality is necessitated by this view. Christ’s work happened in time but its origin and effects are unbounded by time. He was, is, and yet to come ! We will always require the mediating work of Christ. His work is eternal necessity. All creation now and forever are held together in Him. That’s why everyone praises Him for eternity.

Glorify God and enjoy Him forever, yep!

Yes exact same purpose applied to my ontological view! A creation of, dark, chaos, desolation lets us magnify God’s attributes of light, order and life, We are flipping the same coin of ontological justification and moral justification! Very good point. We were created in a Day and night world (entropic, futility) but eternal day is coming! Morally we are in a sin possible world, tear filled, next world no more tears.

1 Like

I have done badly at defending???

Um Stephen Hawking a [late] “secular” scientist summed up the secular view very succinctly (i dont think you actually read my claim carefully) disagrees and I know that you know no YECer supports Teism.

So I believe i can quite confidently claim:
-atheists do not support or agree with TEism
-YECers do not support or agree with TEism

So what am i badly defending?

The problem with this statement is that the Bible makes it quite obvious that God is 3 persons in One. We know that the first instance of the Holy Spirit is found in Genesis 1:2. We find another very obvious example of the nature of the Holy Spirit in the story of Ananias and Saphira.

3Then Peter said, “Ananias, why have you let Satan fill your heart? You lied to the Holy Spirit, and you kept some of the money for yourself. 4The property was yours to sell or not sell, as you wished. And after selling it, the money was also yours to give away. How could you do a thing like this? You weren’t lying to us but to God!”

5As soon as Ananias heard these words, he fell to the floor and died. Everyone who heard about it was terrified. 6Then some young men got up, wrapped him in a sheet, and took him out and buried him.

7About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8Peter asked her, “Was this the price you and your husband received for your land?”

“Yes,” she replied, “that was the price.”

9And Peter said, “How could the two of you even think of conspiring to test the Spirit of the Lord like this? The young men who buried your husband are just outside the door, and they will carry you out, too.”

The Holy Spirit has all the characteristics of a person and that is why we have the Trinitarian doctrine…the point is, these three persons all pass the test of what persons are. God is the harmony of these three individuals. You mention the Catholics…you would therefore agree with their claim of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit!

1 Like

yes that was very insightful and thanks, just re read… I can heartily agree incarnation was first move forward (firstborn from the dead) or formed in that sense, but I can only apply that to “let there be light”, not gen 1,2.
My metaphysics proposition of why God needs to “create space” is a function of His actual glory being substantive. I define substance as manifestation of omnipotence AKA Glory, this manifestation is the eternally generated Son. Omnipotence is nothing without activation. Like energy without work. Eternal generation defines omnipotence and vice versa. Its the co dependent and indivisible relation of Son and Spirit. That Glory is substantive actuality. So no space in God. Big problem for us, no room at the Glory INN (LOL).

Step one, nesisates self removal. Step two, form creation out of the vacated human essence of Jesus. In some sense the timing of the three works, incarnation death, resurrection has no relation in eternity, only in our temporal reading of the text.

Mabey I could inquire about your notion of incarnation and Christophanies. I see Christ in some hypostatic form before human. Light, pillar of fire, angel of the lord and others… What is your view?

When we think of Christian doctrine of creation we need to think in Trinitarian rather rather than just Christology. While it is true all things are created through the Word (Son) it all begins with the Father and includes the operation of the Spirit. In Genesis, figuratively, the Word speaks the will of the Father and the Spirit breaths and animates life as it comes into being… in this respect it is actually the Father who is the first cause acting through the Word and the Spirit. It is a shared causation with different and complementary roles.

Likewise even salvation is a twofold effect of Word (incarnate through the Spirit) and the Spirit accompanies Jesus in His ministry and the later empowering the disciples to act and grow in faith and discipleship. The future that Christ brings about also always involves the will of the Father and the actions of the Spirit, nurturing life changes.

So it is the role of Father and the Spirit that often gets lost with a purely Christological focus. We need Trinitarian Evolution, not just Theistic of Christic evolution.

Thank you Troy and Adam, for your kind comments.

Troy, I looked up ‘ontological Pelagianism’ online and found this definition via Wikipedia:

If that is the sense in which you mean the term, then I can assure you that I am not a subscriber to this heresy. Like all orthodox Catholics, I believe that mankind lost its innocence in the dawn of human history and that this has blighted our earthly lives ever since. Christ’s death and resurrection purchased our freedom from original sin and through his gift of the Holy Spirit empowered us to live sinless lives. As scripture affirms, however, in our weakness we fail to avoid sin, e.g. “If we say we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and truth has no place in us; if we acknowledge our sins, he is trustworthy and upright, so that he will forgive us our sins and will cleanse us from all evil.” (1 John 1:8-9). During his healing sevices, Catholic evangelist Jo Dalton used to say: “We are not sinners because we sin; we sin because we are born sinners.” That I believe should be the belief of all Christians.

As an aside, the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that we derive our proneness to sin from a single pair of humans called Adam and Eve who succumbed to Satan’s temptation to be like gods and to arrogate to themselves the divine prerogative of determining good from evil. This is the essence of what I believe is an allegorical story about eating the fruit hanging from the tree of knowledge in the centre of the garden. Observing our present world, it seems clear to me that mankind continues to arrogate this prerogative and to ignore the word of God. I am of course aware of the view of many, including Dr Francis Collins expressed in his book ‘The Language of God’, that we are probably not descended from a single parent pair and that sin may have originated in a large group of the earliest humans. I have not researched whether the official Catholic position on this may be open to evolution if scientific progress makes the one-parental-pair viewpoint untenable, but St Augustine strongly advised Christians not to make themselves look foolish in the eyes of science-savvy non-Christians by irrevocably committing themselves to an interpretation of scripture which the advance of human knowledge could prove erroneous. That is sadly what YEC Christians do today, thus making themselves easy objects of ridicule by Dawkins and his allies.

Back to the main theme. Is Chrisentheism the way forward? I don’t think so. When scripture speaks of exalting Christ above all things it is speaking of created things. Christ is the supreme creature of God because he is God’s Son. The person who became incarnate in Christ was/is the second person of the Trinity possessed of the one divine nature but taking a created human nature in order to save us, and yes that unique dignity lifted him above all other creatures. But if we believe that God’s ONLY motive in creating the whole universe was to bring about the redemption in Christ of those he created in his own image in this miniscule world on the edge of one galaxy out of the billions of galaxies that evolved from God’s act of creation in the foreknowledge that they would fall from grace, that raises some very difficult questions. How can we be certain that God has not caused intelligent life to evolve in many pockets of an indescribably vast universe or be certain that he has not when needed sent his Word into those worlds to redeem the fallen? How can we know that God has not created our own world to give us a genuine choice of whether to abide by his will or to rebel, and if we had opted for the former to rejoice in their subsequent glorious life in intimacy and friendship with him. Why should we discount the scriptural texts which suggest that God’s primary purpose in creating was to glorify himself and to fashion a work of art that was very pleasing to him, that he saw as “very good” (Gen. 1:31)? How can we believe that God’s creative plan hinged on our failure to obey his will for us and would not have taken place at all if we had not fallen from grace? Are we saying that God’s creation was not so “very good” if we rebelled against him? Not many leading theologians would subscribe to the view that our sin somehow detracted from the goodness of God’s creation. It was/is very good anyway, whatever our choice may have been.

It is in my view misleading to call this a plan B. God’s purposes would work out to his glory however his creatures chose to exercise their freedom of choice. His perfect will of course was for us to submit joyfully to his all-wise guidance of our lives, but his permissive will allowed for the folly of our rebellion and envisaged an escape route for us. This wasn’t plan B, it was plan A all along.

Adam, although I am a great believer in the doctrine of the Trinity, I don’t think “that the Bible makes it quite obvious that God is 3 persons in One.” If that was true, the plethora of heresies the early Church had to deal with on this topic would not have occurred. Jesus promised his Holy Spirit to guide his disciples into “all truth”, and the development of this and many other doctrines (e.g. regarding the status of Mary) led to many heretics being excluded from the mainstream Church and the formulation of the great Athanasian and Nicene creeds.

I’m sorry if the sentence you quote gave a wrong impression of what I believe. The following is an extract from my Kindle book 'The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial: Christian guide through a atheist wilderness", first published online in 2016, which explains my position I hope with clarity:

"The Trinity

For she [Wisdom] is a reflection of the eternal light, untarnished mirror of God’s active power, and image of his goodness. (Wisdom 7:26)

"Properly understood, the Trinity is a profound and subtle concept. It has nothing to do with belief in three gods, and Dawkins’s citation of the views of Thomas Jefferson, a layman who believed neither in a personal God nor in the Trinity, will plainly shed no light on it.

"As Dawkins rightly notes, the Trinity is usually presented as three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, subsisting in one divine nature. The Son is eternally begotten by the Father, and the Spirit is breathed out between them (although Eastern Orthodox Christians see things a bit differently). The related concept of the Incarnation is also profound, the Son being incarnated in Christ, a divine person acquiring a second, human nature so as to live out a human life of total obedience to the Father’s will and thereby bring about in his own person an ultimate end to the man-made rift between ourselves and God.

"Personally, the Father-Son-Spirit credal presentation of the doctrine of the Trinity doesn’t help me relate to it very well. But John’s Gospel, borrowing from Greek philosophy, uses another image for the Second Person in the Trinity, that of Word or Logos, a perfect expression or representation of God:

"‘In the beginning was the Word: the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things came into being, not one thing came into being except through him. … The Word became flesh, he lived among us …’ (John 1:1-3; 14)

"This imagery has echoes elsewhere in the New Testament picture of Christ as the incarnate Word, e.g., both Colossians and Hebrews describe him as the visible representation or likeness of the invisible God, a first-born Son through whom all things were created.

"In Christian belief, the Trinity expresses in human language something that in its own infinite reality is inexpressible in our language and incomprehensible to our minds. It gives us an unexpected glimpse of what God’s inner life must be like, assuring us that somehow, in his infinite majesty, God is not alone, that something akin to inner relationships exist within the one divine nature.

"I have struggled during my life to find a way of expressing this mystery to myself. The nearest I have come is to think of the Word as God’s self-image, perfectly expressing the divine essence with a fullness that in human language only something like personhood could express. After all, I have a self-image, I can even talk to myself. So, can I not imagine God knowing himself, conversing with himself?

"So, what of the Spirit? In his self-contemplation, does God find satisfaction in what he sees? We experience self-love, albeit distorted by selfishness. Does not divine self-love flow from God’s self-contemplation, an outpouring, out-breathing (expiration) of pure love between Imager and Image? Could not the Spirit be a self-love so perfect that only something like personhood could express it? And could it be our final destiny to be caught up in what Catholic charismatic Miles Dempsey memorably termed “the cross-fire of divine love”?

"Interestingly in this context, Chapter Four of Fr. Spitzer’s book New Proofs offers a metaphysical proof that God, the uncaused, unconditioned reality upon which all else must depend, not only understands all reality but must be pure understanding itself. If so, must there not be a triad of relationship within God’s nature, the one understanding, the one understood, and the love relationship between them?

"Scripture and Creed assert that all creation came to be through the Word, the Second Person in the Trinity. This makes complete sense if God is pure being and if the Word, viz. God’s self-image in his divine essence, is the perfect representation of pure being. In this self-image, God sees every conceivable possibility of derivative being (a ‘multi- or mega-verse’ if you like in the divine mind), and the existence of our universe is evidence that he has decided to explore at least some of the infinite creative opportunities present within his divine nature, a supreme artist creating his masterpieces on a canvas of nothing but potentiality.

“Christians believe that Jesus is the incarnation of this divine Word, the Word made flesh (John 1:14), whose coming, so long awaited in the old Israelite covenant, is the key to our rapprochement with God.”

Although lengthy, I hope the above has added some thought-provoking ideas to the debate.

Are you talking about pandeism?

Pandeism: This is the belief that God created the universe , is now one with it, and so, is no longer a separate conscious entity.

That is the only thing which an internet search brings up. And… that is not what he said. Don’t get me wrong. I am not a fan of his idea – I would put more emphasis on the creation of the universe as something separate from Himself. And I don’t think the implication that God has some sort of spatial dimension is very orthodox. And yet creating within Himself kinda follows from the omnipresence of God – which is why I was looking for a source for your claim because I suspect it must be in the details and have to wonder if the details of what was condemned is really covered by what he said.

I didn’t pick up on that before… thanks, @mitchellmckain. Yes, that is problematic because it implies that now space is part of God. The ‘first’ is an issue as well, because it makes God subject to time and rather denies his omnitemporallity (and I don’t think we are only talking about logically antecedent or a logical dependence).

No not Pandesim nor Pantheism, I am attempting to Christianise panentheism re naming it as Chrisentheism. In the most simple terms All is IN but not OF God.

It assumes God is a necessary infinitive actuality. I believe this is the greatest conception of God one can hold or imagine. Philosophy, and theology classically reject this idea, because an infinitive actuality allows only for itself by definition. Aristotle reasoned that a substantive actual infinity was impossible, because if it were possible, then something would have attained infinite magnitude, and would be “bigger than the heavens.” Aristotle is correct, if we apply an actual infinity to any substance or consciousness, it would not allow for anything but itself, as it would occupy everything.

If God is an actual Infinite consciousness, substance or both, you have two options:

1. Pantheism- all is God,
  2. Somehow our independent existence is justified within this actual infinitive God.

Christhentism asserts the second position. The potential can exist within the actual without annihilation or equality of essence. John 14:20 “In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. Also Paul agreeing with the greeks “in him we live and move, and have our being” lots of other texts a well.

Georg Cantor (1845-1918) , a famous Lutheran mathematician stated “The fear of infinity is a form of myopia that destroys the possibility of seeing the actual infinite, even though it in its highest form has created and sustains us, and in its secondary transfinite forms occurs all around us and even inhabits our minds.”

Cantor’s view of the actual infinitive nature of God established his novel proof of the infinitive in mathematics. He proved the relationship between a potential infinitive and the greater actual infinitive. The potential infinite set can be counted, the actual infinite sets are uncountable but real. It’s really fascinating https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch-now/cantors-infinities. (I am high school math educated, no expert but get the general idea). The potential (smaller infinitive) exists within the actual greater infinitive.

Im suggesting Gods self removal at the cross gives us the room needed to exist in His actual infinity of being. “For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist” (Heb 2:10)

This position seeks to bring peace into the heated and unnecessary division of faith and science. it creates a profound transcendent, christological interpretation of genesis, thats primary message is gospel focused and evangelistic in aim. God brings the dead to life. It allows science to do its work Godward (as foundational presupposition) through honest research. The heavens proclaim his glory. It also removes the tension of an imagined perfect creation being corrupted by adam (though there were profound consequences). finally it provides a satisfactory theodicy as snakes are rational in this garden.

Jesus death produces both a universal and particular justification of things.

1. The universal ontological, all things can now exists, by his body.
  2. The particular moral, some are justified by faith and redemption in his Blood

Clarification, Im suggesting space is not OF only IN God, Space is not a thing , space is created by the absence of a thing. Space is Gods self removal, a nothing created in God. Ex nihilo, God created from nothing, the opposite would claim God created of himself meaning God is all. So we can say we are formed from this nothing, Gods self removal. A creation by absence.

I admit, I’m on the edge of reason here!

Like evil is not a thing it is the absence of Good which is a thing. Like death is the absence of life.

I only use “first” as it comes first in the bible. From our perspective as a potential series of causal events it is the first, it is the zero state in an infinite progression moving forward. From Gods perspective all time just is. God thru Christs hypostasis is both in and out of time as I understand it. He both transcends and yet walked daily with the disciples in our history and now is left and is preparing a place for us for our future.

Space is a thing. Have you heard of the spacetime continuum? Space did not exist before the big bang. If space was merely the absence of stuff, then it existed before the big bang. It didn’t.

Good point, When you speak of One you get all three!

I’m stuck on the zero state, Gen 1vs 1,2. in the text we have a wordless creation with qualities dark, chaos, void. A juxtaposition of God
I feel like christian tradition tells us to read the text as " In the beginning God said “Let there be the heavens and the earth”, and it was a dark chaotic void and God said “It is good”
what do you think?

I’m sorry, I’m not getting your meaning. It seems like a non sequitur.

LOL I was trying to reply to the other fellow with that one.

Dale go with me for a minute… raise your view of God … before the Big Bang was God the all in all, His maximal infinite blazing glory ! no space, no time, no matter, only God…

He created Space itself. Space or heavens he created in himself. Im now thinking of Glory as more substantive… not maximal photons (way more) but the expression of Gods omnipotence. the eternal generation of the Son is the Glory of God that occupies all in all. Space is the first thing we need with a God like that.

I’m not liking the preposition.