ChatGPT | AI on Faith and Science

When it gets the voice upgrade, I’m looking forward to evening conversations about/with Dostoevsky and Solzhenitsyn :sunglasses:

2 Likes
  • When it can turn my TV off to get my undivided attention, I’ll consider giving it.
1 Like

Well one way to think about it is that it is kind of like looking in a dictionary for an answer. It’s just that this dictionary has the ability to pull all the information you want and put it together in a cohesive way.

I think that’s a useful description, for this level of AI anyway.

Per Jim’s question :slightly_smiling_face:,

Good answer, I think. Next question for ChatGPT: “What does insightful mean?” (I expect it would certainly say something about context, as it did about meaning, just above.)

Huh. My eyes got a bit damp at its letter to “Dear Dr. Collins” But as Colin said, he could have signed it as truly from him, no problem.

Thanks for that episode, guys!

3 Likes

That is very impressive. And more than just Indo-European languages.

In terms of response times, thanks @Dale for finding out that it doesn’t “learn” in real time. It is retrieving information from a pre-learned knowledge base. Still, it’s impressive that it can search and formulate its answers with no discernible delay. I suspect that the typing you see (@HRankin) in its responses is a deliberate slow-down to give the feel of a chat experience.

2 Likes

It was a fun episode. ChatGPT is very thorough, and like @Andy7 I was impressed with it’s organization. I was working on something else while I was listening, so I couldn’t take notes, but I noticed some patterns in the answers as well. The basic structure seemed to go: a basic encyclopedic introduction to the topic, “however” and finally, “It’s worth noting.”
The note of encouragement to Dr. Collins was fun and reminded me of 19th century etiquette manuals that included basic sample letters for various occasions.
Politeness was nicely programmed in. Which is unnerving in light of 2001.
Steven McLure did a fine job voicing ChatGPT for us.

1 Like

It’s very bizarre, it compels you to be polite, almost. Like I asked it to do something and they were like, “good luck, hope this advice helps!” and you want to say back “thank you SO much!”

4 Likes

It is a conflicting experience. I have also felt the need to be polite when asking questions and making follow up comments. Even more so than here at times, which is curious to consider.

A year or so back, I saw a video of a young man receive a compliment from an AI program utilizing a video image, and the young man blushed even though he knew it was AI.

2 Likes
  • What a treat that would be!! Never being:
    • told to stay on topic,
    • or being called Mr. Sampson,
    • or being called delusional,
    • or being flagged.

I’ve not heard or watched it yet, but I wonder how we act when we talk to Alexa, Google, or Siri. Do we tend to say “please” and “thank you”?

It may go with personal history and habits?

1 Like

I find myself saying, “No, thank you” when Alexa asks me one of her (her?) questions. And I often say please when asking her something.

3 Likes

I know I also say thank you in general to anything that does something I appreciate. That includes AI and that also includes all the times I thank an insect for being still so I can get a picture.

I don’t worry over anthropomorphism. There is a wide range of discussions over it from it being signs of healthy social intelligence to being sings of OCD and Autism. I understand that it’s not healthy when it gets to the point of feeling bad about cups being to crowded and so on, but I think most people do it a little bit. Everyone I’ve met seems to do it in some small ways.

I did always enjoy this joke though.

9 Likes

I love this.

This is very indigenous of you. Have you read Braiding Sweetgrass? It’s all about this concept, thanking the earth for its gifts.

I’m curious to know if the bot gives better or worse answers based on how demanding people are. like, if you don’t phrase something as a question, like the difference between “can you help me write a letter to my senator” and “write a letter to a senator/.”

2 Likes

I’ve been using ChatGPT a lot over the weekend with a personal writing project. I’ve found if you say things like “write a letter to a senator” it will write you an example letter. If you say “can you help me write a letter to my senator” it will give you advice on what to include.

But if you say, “Hey, write a letter to my senator, you worthless string of 1s and 0s!” It will empty your bank accounts, cancel all your subscription services, and order 10,000 pizzas to your home. Don’t ask how I found out…

6 Likes

Someone has to learn the hard way, Liam.

3 Likes

It’s something I learned as a kid from reading various tales from the Grimm Brothers and other fairy tales where they sometimes accent animals helping humanity. As a kid we placed out bowls of fruits and grains for wildlife too and it was inspired by the same concepts. I’ve been heavily influenced by European and scandinavian folklore and veganism. That’s also how I got into ecology and animal rights in general. Some of the native Americans that are vegans I appreciate but most of them I’ve met are heavy on animal butchering and so a lot of it is something I take issue with. Like “ giving praise to a Buffalo spirit after gutting it when they could have eaten just plants “ is something I can’t get behind to much.

I’ve skimmed through the book. It’s one that I want to read.

After work I can link a handful of vegan native Americans that I really like. They apply a lot of the same ecology as many use, including native Americans, and blend it with their heritage and culture but mix it up with animal rights and care. A lot of the mentality is that if we set nature right, we would not need to consume animals but allow wildlife to do it.

1 Like

I think it’s going to be our next book club book later this year, if that gives you incentive to read soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Started listening to it today on Hoopla. Really good story. I really like the chapters of Asters and Goldenrod and the one called Hazel. The author does a good job waxing and waning between joy and sadness.

3 Likes

I hadn’t looked at this thread for quite a while. I’m very glad I looked back again today. Thanks, Liam. I needed that.

Can anyone confirm this? I’ve watched a few of his videos, not a big fan, but this is concerning if true. Skip to the 3:55 mark if woke is a trigger word.

“It will know what I said, it will know what you comment.”

Having finished the video, I didn’t care for some of the more farfetched showmanship, but I do find the initial subject matter concerning.