Causality vs. Teleology

How Islamic.

Perhaps this ‘thought’ game may help this discussion:

Suppose someone created a system that commenced with a small number of variables that interacted to produce greater variations and these then interacted to produce so many variations and so on. If some time down the line an observer analyzed such a system, the observed entities were so large that all he can do is classify the entities, and perhaps even relate these to some simpler origins. I state that no matter what system is devised by the observer, he can never deduce an origin by a creator or by some unknown chance event.

2 Likes

Are you saying that It does not follow that since we can say that the universe did not create or cause itself, then a nonmaterial spiritual Being Who has power, wisdom, and goo9dness far beyond ourselves must have created it?

My inference was that he was talking about the evolution of life, not anything else.

I am trying to illustrate the difficulty we face when we try to deduce EITHER origins by a designer/creator, or chance/random events, from scientific observations of events and entities that result from extremely complex systems.

1 Like

You’re missing out the cosmos. In between. Eternal, infinite nature.

If you are saying that Nature is eternal and infinite, then nature is God and self created. That also makes you a pantheist and Nature divine…

Yes and yes, no and yes. No and no…

I think I understand what you are saying, but God gave us different ways of thinking to solve different types of problems. This is not a scientific issue which was how you and others were trying top look at it. This is a logical, philosophical problem. Some people seem to think that logic and philosophy don’t matter, but we know that is false.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.