Can We Not Agree That Someone Is Being Foolish?

Not in the least.

Does that mean that you agree with me?

1 Like

Something else struck me George as I’ve read the seemingly endless recent threads/posts which drill down into the OT meanings of the word “day” and how to understand the OT genealogies, OT history and Genesis. There is a great concern for literalness, accuracy of Genesis, not least the historicity of the first couple but what about this unrelated but important issue: it seems that our Lord, the good apostles and the letter to the churches called Revelation appeared to assume that the literal end of days was going to come very soon - certainly not 2000 years on and counting. At least that is what struck me as I recently read Revelation. Of course we have the much quoted text that a day for God is like 1000 years, but, I don’t think that is what the gospel writers, apostles and Revelation expected, specially if you try to get “literal.”

Anyway, that is what hit me as I’ve enjoyed reading these threads, that and the thought that perhaps some posters may need to consider joining a support group to get weaned off posting to Internet forums :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Swamidass

1. It is interesting that my comment about the O.T. stirred you to offer your non sequitur view. My point was that there is not much of a slippery slope for millions of Christians who do not share your views on Genesis.

2. The O.T. seems to have been mostly vetted by the Sadduccee scribes who scrubbed it clean of any notion of a spiritual afterlife for the masses. So I find it ironic that YECs consider the O.T. so fundamental to a view that the O.T. seems to have been written to ignore!

Agree with you on what?

That focusing on an interpretation of a small part of the OT that is neither shared by most theologians, nor most Christians in the world today, nor most Christians over history, clearly constitutes diverting the focus AWAY from Christ.

While I’ve got you here, what is your exegesis of Genesis 32:22-30? I find it intriguing.

1 Like

You can watch the April Historical Adam conference panel at Southeastern Baptist Seminary with Dennis Venema and AIG’s Nathaniel Jeanson here.

You can watch Dennis Venema and AIG’s Georgia Purdom at LeTourneau here.

2 Likes

There are many times where the majority has been wrong and the minority has been right. I find your highly democratic (as in, pertaining to democracy) views toward science (and theology!!!) to be intriguing…and somewhat disconcerting.

What do you mean? (I mean, what does this have to do with the topic?)
@benkirk

@J.E.S

James Kidder discusses Homo Naledi fossils with Fuz Rana of RTB on the radio here.

1 Like

It has to do with deciding whether someone is sincere about the topic.

It’s a control, as it is a different small part of the OT, yet still in Genesis. I want to see if your position has any basis in theological principles.

1 Like

Yes, but over time, as observed by Asimov, the errors are smaller and fewer.

Gravity is not going to be found to be a vastly tragic error… just as Newtonian physics are not going to be found to be irrelevant in the collision of two trucks.

Einstein’s calculations regarding the trucks might be more precise … but not so much that anyone is going to notice the differences.

The sensible development of the idea of a firmament was an important position to take in the ancient world. But over time, it became increasingly easy to see that it was a big error.

Even before we got into space, humans could verify that there was no firmament. They used sophisticated balloons with cameras. They used radar. What was a “probability” became an “impossibility”.

In fairness, I do have a broader view than this. I would modify this to…

I am open to a six-day-no-death-before-Adam-revelationist-creationist position, and do not see this in conflict with affirming evolution.

About death, Augustine did not think there was any death before the fall, but was also convinced that the death referred to in this was Spiritual death, not physical or animal. That position is literally a “no-death-before-the-fall” position. About six days, John Walton thinks the temple inauguration of Gen 1 happens over 6 literal 24 hour day. That makes him a six-day person in that sense.

You need a tighter definition of “science.” Take a look at

http://www.iep.utm.edu/pop-sci/

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.