Can the story of Noah be literally true?

We are way off topic :innocent:

Is that a yes?

To the OP, were the other now twelve (2 by 2 in a week!) species and sub-species of human on the ark as unclean animals?

I think the flood was a miraculous event. God performs miracles. He created the universe and He can throw in the Uncertainty Principle and gravity and bosons and fermions and dark energy and worm holes and anything He would like, and He can suspend these natural phenomenon and the laws He set in place and provide Mary with Himself living inside her without batting an eye. We are here after all, and I don’t know any person who can make a universe. I can’t.
I bet God gets a kick out of watching us debate if miracles occur as we point Hubble at matter 13 billion years old.

Certainly God could. He could have also restored the earth to it’s original state with a word, bypassing the drowning of children and infants. He could of used the flood and left the results of it evident in creation, but he didn’t. Of course, in the end, that is not what the story is about.

I’m not interested in a God who murdered twenty million people. He can go to Hell.

1 Like

I have further problems with whole Noah story and the whole idea of God wanting to wipe nearly all creation because of human sin. Most of creation is innocent of wrong, so why should God punish innocent creation for human misdeeds? it does not portray a moral God.

1 Like

So, it’s all right if He murders twenty million people, as long as He doesn’t drown the bunny wunnies?

He’s been there since the rebellion. Most of us decide that’s where we want to be. It feels futile to try so hard to warn people that it is unimaginably terrible there. I came close to falling into it. Scared me out of my mind. It took the fiery flames of that awful place to lick my boots before I reached out. Most will not listen. Most shrug it off. I did. I can’t imagine how God feels about it.
Often times people plunging to their deaths on an jet scream out for his help, at the very last seconds of their lives. If He’s good enough for us when we die, He’s good enough for us while we live, I remember someone saying.
I know 2 things. I don’t want to go there and I don’t want anyone else to. It is the most terrible, dark, hopeless, rotten, disturbing place, evil and sick and miserable.
I will be condemned, hated, scoffed at, called a fool, you name it, for my absolute certainty that it exists, though having nothing to do with its formation. I will be as despised and rejected as Christ was, while all I want is for you not to go there.

But, you know the answers to your questions, I think. We all know why. Unless and until I am personally confronted in realistic terms, in painful, crushing experiences, that if not for Christ, my destiny is in hell, I will never acknowledge the situation. Not me. I have to be thoroughly broken (ego) before I will seek help.
I don’t think God likes us to be destroyed or to destroy us, personally. IMO, he hates it. It hurts him terribly, terribly.
He tried to warn people. He did warn people. He warns us today. He made a way to escape these horrors. I can choose. At the risk of sounding old fashion, primitive, like a bible-babbling, holy roller, fundamentalist, He died to make a way. If that is true, IF, then I can make a choice and avoid his wrath. If it isn’t true, I’m wasting my time thinking about it. I can say with all my heart, HE is, and goodness gracious people, HE LOVES US. HE REALLY DOES. You may hate even the idea of God being capable of this kind of destruction. If you decide to ask him for a relationship, you will be amazed, I think, how your perspective will change. You will even feel the same emotions He feels about people losing their souls. You will be grieved that they refuse to come to him. Grieved.

It’s all right Ralphie. It’ll be all right. Nobody goes to Hell regardless.

1 Like

It’s interesting that you reject the God of the Bible – “…from Genesis through Revelation” were your approximate words, but pluck Jesus out of it while eschewing his words (not to mention the epistler’s), and mold him to your imagination.

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires.

2 Timothy 4:3

I’m sorry for your perspective. It’s sorry.

Klax, I wish with all my heart that was true. Yet,
I don’t know how to rely on what Christ said, on the one hand, and reject what He told us about that terrible place, on the other.

14 kNow when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and ldid not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?”

She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away.”

16 Jesus said to her, m“Mary!”

She turned and said to 3Him, “Rabboni!” (which is to say, Teacher).

17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet nascended to My Father; but go to oMy brethren and say to them, p‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to qMy God and your God.’ ”

Can’t you see this scene in your mind’s eye? Can’t we tell it is real? Can’t we tell that no one made it up? Can’t we see and hear and feel her tears as we watch her lunging into his arms to hug the one she loved so much, who was gone, dead, never to return? Can’t we see real life anymore? What’s happened to us?

What does that have to do with my previous comment exactly? Why do you get so emotional anyways?

He’s a good guy

Amen. 150 odd replies or so and this might be the first person to mention God the Destroyer. God killing all the animals and people on the planet. If that is real God does not deserve our love.

There is hardly anything redeemable about Noah. At least Abraham questioned God and tried to save some when our loving Father was on one of his many murderous tirades:

“Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?“

Nothing from Noah. No attempts to save any of his friends or bargain for them. Just blind-puppet like compliance.

Then when the flood ends what does Noah do? He goes about his business and roasts meat to God amidst the barren wasteland littered with bloated bodies. No mention of them. No sadness and despair at what’s around him. God finds the smell of meat burning pleasant and Noah’s flattery, not the horror of his petulant temper tantrum, causes him to make a covenant with men. The rainbow helps him remember. Thank goodness. We wouldn’t want him forgetting.

And many Christians give their kids Arks to play with! If you believe God could destroy everyone for being evil and defend him to boot, you could also do it for a human ruler.

The flood story is disgusting and dangerous. You shouldn’t need a geologist to tell you the story is fiction.

Vinnie

1 Like

“Nothing from Noah. No attempts to save any of his friends or bargain for them. Just blind-puppet like compliance.”

I think that is an unfair accusation. We can’t know that. It doesn’t say. He may have tried to warn people and he may have been devastated. Ehrman says from reading Luke, we believe Jesus was brave, confident and unconcerned about his crucifixion because it doesn’t say otherwise. I don’t think it’s fair to come to that conclusion merely because Luke doesn’t describe it that way. I think it is more than a safe assumption that He was frightened and miserable. He was a man.
This is an example of the kind of “piling on” that is so common today, that I’ve mentioned before. It’s the, ‘Let’s assume the worst right off the bat’, attitude. I don’t find much in the way of willingness to pause, to see if we’re jumping to conclusions. This mindset, this rush to attach negative thoughts and conclusions about so many issues regarding scripture, Christians and Christ does not sit well with me. It is a sign to me that some have found a precious, longed for, bitterly resented target and more than anything, they want to strike it. It’s a sport for some. And there is a high degree of furious energy to destroy that target totally and it is sweeping across America at a fevered pitch. Even as some like Pilate try to calm the crowd, the chanting gets louder and louder, almost in unison, “Crucify him, crucify him–for good this time!”

“Then when the flood ends what does Noah do? He goes about his business and roasts meat to God amidst the barren wasteland littered with bloated bodies. No mention of them. No sadness and despair at what’s around him. God finds the smell of meat burning pleasant and Noah’s flattery, not the horror of his petulant temper tantrum, causes him to make a covenant with men. The rainbow helps him remember. Thank goodness. We wouldn’t want him forgetting.”

He said it all from love, in love, predicated on love, to be interpreted by love. There is no terrible place in love. Only in allegory, only in rhetoric, only in fear, only in ignorance, only in the human mind. Love wins. Love conquers all. Love fixes everything.

Love does reign supreme. I agree a million percent. Other factors like his purity (holiness) are important, too, from what I can tell.
What do we do with the words He spoke about hell? How does He want us to interpret them?