Can the story of Noah be literally true?

I think you misunderstand entanglement (not that anyone fully understands it) – it is not about particles moving faster than C.

What is it about?

including when the particles are separated by a large distance.

Nothing is moving between them, nor are they necessarily moving relative to each other.

I disagree. My response was not a red herring. When you ask me if I am just trying to be difficult, I prefer not to engage in conversation with you.

I’m not going to object. :grin:

Ah, that’s what you were disagreeing with. It’s a red herring because the topic under discussion was the physics of a global flood. Okay, just off-topic then.

I was just being facetious and it was very much tongue-in-cheek, because I really didn’t know what you were objecting to.

So one of the effects of the Flood was to break up Pangea in 2348 BCE, not 175 mya, but only after the mainly 7 by 7s had walked, hopped, slithered, flown back to New Zealand? That would have taken a few years. So when were the continents in their present configuration? With five mile high mountains and all?

2 Likes

I take uphold the view that the biblical author of the story was aware of other similar ancient flood legends of rescued heroes (as in the Epic of Gilgamesh) and revised the legends to emphasis both God’s moral character and abundant mercy for the future even if the world continued to contain evil.

1 Like

Right, one ad hoc explanation creates a dozen new problems incompatible with physical reality. The mountains evidently are said to have raised with the continents playing bumper cars. Even that ignores the sediment fans and the time it takes for rock to be ground to sand and clay, and that sand and clay to be covered and pressed back to rock, then that rock to be raised and ground down again.

2 Likes

Belly buttons to you Phil!

1 Like

A different fanciful YEC approach is to claim that Genesis 10:25 “in his days the earth was divided” refers to the breakup of Pangea. Like all young-earth approaches to plate tectonics, that reflects ignorance of the lengthy history of events that are reflected in the geologic record. Multiple supercontinents have come and gone, along with many more local events. Trying to fit that into a young-earth timescale requires continents traveling at least at highway speed, which has serious problems with the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

The “mountains” of the Flood narrative are the same word as “hills”, just as the “earth” is the same word as “land” as in a local region (“land of Egypt”). Decision depends on the context. (Peter’s reference to the “world of the ungodly” being destroyed by the flood is "cosmos:, which can range from “universe” to “stuff” and most often is “world” in the bad figurative sense of humanity united against God.) If by “literal” we mean “interpreted seriously using our best understanding of the literary and theological context, and using our knowledge from scientific and other sources to determine what is figurative”, certainly it can be interpreted literally. If “literal” is “as if it were a modern pedantically precise historical narrative”, then that is not an appropriate way to read any of the Bible. Too often, “literal” is “how it reads based on my inerrant interpretation”, whether that interpretation is then advocated as authoritative or rejected as a supposed error in the Bible.

6 Likes

Some prominent NT “scholars” are adamant that the Gospels were not written for quite a few decades after Christ was crucified. They conclude because of the tremendous gap in time that the original writings included a vast number of inaccuracies.
Their NTs are substantially different, too. They eliminate all miracles from consideration. When they refer to their NTs, they aren’t talking about the ones we use.

I have a question for them. What does, “the ministry of the word of God” refer to in Acts Chapter 6 v 2? The 12 devoted themselves to it and mention “the word” again in v 4. “The word” of God is the writings of the old and new testaments as we use it today.

Please dont talk.Unless you have a phd in geology i wouldnt talk.Or at least say that you dont have one before writting something so we dont have to waist our time . Thank God there are no gullible people here

I’d forgotten I used to believe the earth divided meant continental ‘drift’!

Entanglement proves instantaneous responses regardless of the distance between the entangled particles

Yes, and? Your point?

My PhD is in geology, but on bivalve evolution, not southwest Asian Quaternary stratigraphy. But I can summarize information on flooding for the region.

Genesis 2 describes the location of Eden in terms of four rivers. The Tigris and Euphrates are generally recognized as being two of them. The other two are rather more problematic. However, this is enough to show that the current flood geology claims, where most of the geologic record was supposedly produced by the flood, is not biblical. The same rivers and places used to locate Eden are still around and recognizable after the flood, which would not be the case in anything resembling the catastrophic global flood of creation science claims.

One of the other two rivers is said to go around the land of Cush, and the other around Havilah, with gold and precious stones. Cush is familiar as Sudan, often called Ethiopia in older translations, but the river name is not a usual one for the Nile, and the Nile doesn’t join up with the Tigris and Euphrates. However, there are other similar names; the land of the Cassites in southwest Persia would be a better match for the Tigris and Euphrates. That would allow Havilah to be northern Arabia, with what are now usually dry wadis being rivers under cooler and wetter climates. Thus, the vicinity of the Persian Gulf seems likely to be the right area to look.

What flooding has affected the ancient near east? As Montgomery’s The Rocks Don’t Lie points out, big floods do happen and are memorable, so it is quite likely that records of a big flood are based on a big flood. The biggest flood to affect the region was at the end of the Miocene, when connection between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean was re-established, flooding the Mediterranean, which had largely dried up after being cut off at both ends. (The huge salt deposits under and around the Mediterranean could not be deposited during a global flood unless the flood waters were salty enough to kill practically all non-bacterial ocean life. If they were deposited before the flood, then almost all of the geological sequence is pre-flood and must be explained by other means. If they were deposited after the flood, no one living next to the Mediterranean noticed it evaporating away and then re-filling.) Although it has been suggested that the refilling of the Mediterranean could have been Noah’s flood, there is no evidence for hominids with brains bigger than those of chimps at that time.

Major river floods happen on any river from time to time. There are significant flood layers impacting the classic cities of the Tigris and Euphrates valleys. However, none are specifically known to have destroyed a whole city, and so they do not seem devastating enough.

Building glaciers takes a lot of water out of the oceans; melting them raises sea level again. Both the Black Sea and Persian Gulf would have been cut off from the ocean and experienced significantly lower water levels during glacial intervals, then re-flooded in the interglacials. The idea that the Black Sea flooding inspired the account of Noah’s flood has been popularized. However, it is not clear that the flooding there ever exceeded the “hmm, looks like it’s time to move the tent to higher ground” rate of rise. It’s also a bit far from the Tigris and Euphrates.

Data on the Persian Gulf is somewhat sparse, so it’s not clear how fast it would have flooded. There are three major reasons. One, the vast majority of geologic interest is in drilling down to the Cretaceous to find oil and gas, not in observing the surficial layers. (Increasingly, finding water will be important as well, but shallow undersea layers aren’t helpful for fresh water, either.) Two, the data that has been obtained tends to be kept secret, precisely because it’s useful in finding oil. Three, there are geopolitical challenges to wandering around in the Persian Gulf taking sediment cores. But it is a plausible option. There is an ancient tradition of Bahrain being a land that escaped the Flood.

Can merely filling up the Persian Gulf wipe out Noah’s neighbors? Well, people do manage to get themselves drowned by floods they could have avoided. A particular situation that could contribute is if they were in an area a little higher than the surroundings. As water first came in, their area would become an island. If that island then flooded, it could trap the ungodly left behind.

A fair amount of speculation there, but it gives the idea on some possibilities. There were impressive floods in various parts of the world caused by a glacier damming a river and then melting, floating, eroding, or otherwise failing. The most famous example is in Washington and Oregon, the Channeled Scablands. Examples exist in central Asia, but nothing particularly close to the ancient Near East, so that’s not too likely to be relevant, except as an example of showing that geologists do know what big flood deposits look like and what they don’t look like.

3 Likes

Catastrophic events of this kind are not unique to the Bible. Some contemporary examples include the 2004 tsunami that wiped out villages on the coasts of 11 countries surrounding the Indian Ocean. Even time changed. There was also Hurricane Katrina, described as the worst hurricane in United States history. The Japan tsunami demonstrated a bit of our earth’s instability.

1 Like

Sunken Civilization explores underwater worlds that seem too fantastical to exist today but are astonishingly real. “It was a good 15-year effort of mounting multiple expeditions, trying to show that the ancient mariners were much bolder than historians were giving them credit for – that they pursued direct deep-water trade routes, trying to show that they did not hug the coastline, but chose to go across open ocean" said Robert Ballard, who found the Titanic. Ballard added that deep-sea exploration provides new clues in another, perhaps even greater, mystery.
In the bestselling 2000 book Noah’s Flood by William Ryan and Walter Pitman, marine geologists believed they had found the historical origin of the legends of a great flood that tore through ancient civilizations bordering the Mediterranean and Black Sea 7,600 years ago. According to Ryan and Pitman, about 20,000 ago, what is now the Black Sea was cut off from the Mediterranean by a mountainous landscape.
The Noah’s Flood theory claimed that as Earth’s last ice age ended, melting polar ice caps caused the Mediterranean waters to rise, which pushed a channel through the mountains to form what is now the Bosporus, resulting in a catastrophic seawater deluge 200 times stronger than Niagara Falls. In months, it estimated, the Black Sea inundated a land mass the size of Ireland, flooding a mile a day.
“I think you’re going to see the Black Sea yielding a lot of additional chapters of human history now we know where to look”, Ballard said.
We’ll discover what happened one day. I don’t think this flood is nearly as perplexing or wondrous as the existence of the universe. From nothing, absolutely nothing physical, here we are. Science can’t begin to explain it. 90,000,000 miles away a thermonuclear reactor burns 600,000,000 tons of hydrogen every second and there are trillions more of them swirling across the sky right now. That’s pretty wild.

Again, your point? No one was suggesting they were. There are problems with ‘Flood Geology’ just as there are with the sun physically stopping or the earth’s rotation for Joshua’s long day. God doesn’t need monster miracles when ‘little’ ones suffice.

Or maybe you don’t subscribe to a global flood, based on what you just said.