Can Genesis and Old Earth chronology be reconciled?

The ice canopy idea is just really bad science fiction.

Did you bother to actually read the article you linked?

From the article.

I wouldn’t call a rock containing 2% by weight of water “soggy”. And while you can run the numbers and say there is more water than what is contained in the oceans you have the small problem of how does this very tiny fraction of the rock become free water?

The New Scientist article didn’t provide a link to the original paper but here it is if you care to read it.
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/6/e1603024.short

Say that I find that plausible. Where does that put humanity at that time? Cave men barely able to live together, learning to write and speak and use primitive tools? Coming out of an ice age at that. Hunters and gatherers learning how to sow seed and keep animals for food and pets?

I say that history denies that. Language, like civilization, arrived full-scale, not in fits and starts. After the flood, and perhaps before, stonework reached a peak it has never seen again. The pyramids, far from being built with slave labor, were the product of high technology we may not be able to match today.

https://www.revelations-of-the-ancient-world.com/abusir-lost-ancient-high-technology-used-on-granite/

The question isn’t how to get it out. Where did that water come from?
f - l - o - o - d; as in where did the water go?

Jacobsen told the New Scientist that the hidden water might also act as a buffer for the oceans on the surface, explaining why they have stayed the same size for millions of years. “If [the stored water] wasn’t there, it would be on the surface of the Earth, and mountaintops would be the only land poking out,” he said.

If the flood happened in the 24th century BC and the great pyramids were made in the 25th century BC, how were they not obliterated by the flood when water and tectonic plates were doing catastrophic things all over the world?

Did you climb Everest and see the seashells on top? They are there.

Tell me how gravity works. And how an expanding earth can change it. Remember the states of the earth is this is correct.

1. Small earth with water under and water (ice canopy) above.
  2. Small earth with water from under and above flooding it.
  3. Growing earth with water receding back into the oceans, whose floors have dropped because of the water released from under them.

Pangea is the favored one continent theory. So, explain how the continents also fit together across the Pacific, and not just the Atlantic.

If you’re only looking for inspiration, that’s well and good. If you want to find God, then you must have truth. Anything less is not where I want to bet my soul.

So now you just have to come up a theory on how that water traveled 413 miles through rock that doesn’t contain water to end up there. Oh wait, I know the answer, goddidit.

You might want to take a look at this short video that shows the Biblical problems for a young earth creation.

Lots of animations of the process on YouTube, but here is one that is quick and simple, and explains why you have sedimentary rock on Everest.

2 Likes

After watching the video, I would say his problems aren’t biblical, but he has a problem with logic.

Abraham laughed and doubted, therefore the earth isn’t old. Abram probably knew many men with inferior genes who were old at 60 or 70. How many 89 year old women do you think kings would want, when they have their pick of beautiful women? Genesis 20

The dove didn’t want to land, therefore something about the mountains not being seen earlier. What would a newly revealed mountaintop look like after being submerged for a year?

Also Genesis 7:19 can’t mean the whole earth, even though that’s what it plainly says.

#7, he can’t go one way or the other. There was no death, but Adam could die, except he was immortal as long as he was in the garden, but he could die without sinning if God kicked him out of the garden.

God didn’t have to curse his body. His body changed as his mind did because of the sin of eating the fruit.

Sorry, but I don’t see it. Anyway, how long would a lopsided earth last when something as small as a dam in China can affect its rotation?

I quoted even more of Romans 1 in another spot. Am I pointing at anyone in particular? No. But I would be careful of denying the power of God to do just what he says, because he may be merciful, but justice is coming down soon. This is a particular beef with much of Christianity, which has relegated God’s commands for living as something quaint but unnecessary since Jesus came and saved us from having to actually obey him.

Thank you, @Patrick_S. I understand your concerns, having studied this passage several times before and after accepting evolution. However, Paul is addressing the Romans to whom God has revealed Himself, they have traded what they know of God for worship of something else. I appreciate you not pointing that at anyone in particular, since that is for God and not you to decide who is doing what in the heart. Since God’s world has integrity,
anyone of any belief can see what He has done through it. The parallel is that anyone can come with the disciplines of scientific inquiry and practice with accountability among the scientific community and gain insight from God’s world. That is how I see it to be, and I know you do not. If this is the way that God made is world, then the warning of Paul is NOT addressed to God’s people who believe in evolution.

This is not what Christians who believe in evolution are trying to do. We are using the best science possible to be stewards of God’s creation. For the sake of obedience to Christ.

I do not deny that God has any lack of power. In fact, I believe He has more than enough power to create, rule, and relate with a creation that is over 13 billion years old.
God is is inerrant, but we are not. So what we think He says could be erred. You simply do not have a “plain” reading of Scripture unless you are of the very people group that a text is written or spoken to. An ANE reading of Genesis does not plainly say and does not intend to say that God created the world 6,000 years ago.

1 Like

I plainly disagree, and we’re coming to a point where I think it will be verifiable. The events in the prophets, Daniel, Matthew 24 and Revelation are converging on us beginning with the restoration of Israel in 1948.

The sixth millennia will end and the Sabbath millennia will begin. Christians have been taught to look for escape which isn’t coming. We either trust God to carry us through or we die, like they did in the flood.

What do you mean? Like waiting for Shabbat millennium? The day and the hour are unknown, even to Christ, so we must be ready. I think we at least agree that we must be ready. If signs continue to follow the premillennialism route, then when Christ returns those who have not yet gone to sleep will know.

Do you know where the quote about the hour and day come from? The feast of Tabernacles and the Biblical calendar. It is the one feast that occurs on a new moon, which must be visible for the month to begin.

The so-called pre trib rapture is nothing to get caught in, as it’s a trip to death. Look up day of the lord in the old testament. Being ready at any moment is still a good idea, because we could die at any time without warning.

He didn’t leave us clueless as to the timing, just the exact time.

Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

1 Thessalonians 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. 2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. 3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

Thank you for clarifying your position.

I’m expecting more megacryometeors first.

The simple answer to this question is NO! The Science of “knowing” how old is the earth is an Empirical discipline. I call it an Epistemic Translation. The Bible is firmly bound by Literal Translation. The Bible was written in words that according to the Bible are man made (naming the animals). At the time it began to be written, the Hebrew language had an entire vocabulary of about 5000 words. Not enough to even approach describing what is known scientifically. To even begin an attempt to reconcile the two they would both have to start with the same form of translation.

A Literal translation for Science is anathema as is an Epistemic translation for the Bible. However, to restrict the Bible to a literal translation is putting human limitations on God. It will forever remain a human dilemma that is up to the individual to sort out. It will provide endless fodder for debate that will produce countless ideas. Good luck with deciding for yourself and God Bless.

2 Likes

Good points @Fred_W

I should also add that the extensive vocabulary available to us today is not enough because we also need to educate people on a whole lot of basic science and logic before they can grasp the arguments and evidence everyone is putting before them.