Book Review: The Genealogical Adam and Eve by S. Joshua Swamidass

Jay that thread you link to has 152 comments on Josh’s site, so they are doing that. And on his FB group I have already challenged some of the science, specifically the “ghost genes” part. I don’t think he had a good answer and I asked him to rephrase some of that and I think he will. So what you are asking has already been done. Including by me. And others with way more impressive credentials than me.

@Jay313

What I describe below is MY view; no doubt @Swamidass 's view will differ from mine to some minor or major degree!

1] if God intentionally guided human evolution, God knows full well what human behavior and social norms are … not just for human society immediately proximate to the Eden sanctuary, but for all the other extant human societies.

2] So a de novo creation of Adam/Eve (including a “standard” genetic load, as well as a “standard” neural/engram inheritance) could very easily be made in sync with one of the surrounding pre-Eden human societies.

3] Point [2] would include any linguistically relevant genetic predispositions, as well as what God specifically taught them as mentioned in point [4] below!

4] The key input for Adam/Eve is what God taught the pair as they developed in Eden. What they learned from God is the legacy that they then brought to the rest of humanity!

@Jay313

I think you will find trying to reach the audience of evangelicals who DEPEND on Romans 5 is plenty ambitious. You might claim YOUR scenario is designed for ALL the evangelicals… but without favorably embracing Romans 5, you will end up with a willing audience of Evangelicals even smaller than ours.

We aren’t trying to change the minds of stalwart Creationists… we only intend to reach the next generation that are looking for a legitimate Christian reason to diverge from the grandfather’s Creationism!

@MOls

Just to be clear, the sentence

Genealogical science suggests that a pair living at that time and place could be part of the genealogies of all humans living today…"

does not mean that Adam/Eve were the only humans in existence at any point in time. The quoted sentence is based on the idea of rapid “genealogical progression” - - the ability of multiple Universal Ancestral Pairs to entirely co-opt a population, regardless of size.

Recent computer simulations of the genealogical progression for human populations frequently show that only a few assumptions enable this to happen within 2000 years.

So, if Adam/Eve are released into an already existing human population, God’s providential treatment of the affairs of Adam’s offspring would allow all humanity, by the time of the birth of Jesus, to be descended from Adam/Eve, as well as from a few other Universal ancestral pairs from after the time of Eden.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.