Blade Runner and the Resurrection

First things first, @Jay313, kudos for impeccable taste in Sci-Fi. Sadly, ol’ Blade Runner has suffered a little as being the ‘Shawshank Redemption’ of Sci-Fi (i.e. people lie about having watched it and/or having liked it).

That said, as an exploration of what it means to be ‘alive’, I think it is top-draw. I also think there is something almost Ecclesiastes-like about that the famous ‘tears in rain’ scene that the film builds towards. If we remove God from the picture, what does it mean to ‘live under the sun’? Are we all just machinery that will one day wear out? Are we just data on a hard drive that will one day fail to boot? What happens to all that data then? Lost forever…?

I really like this analogy, @Laura. In The Doctrine of God, John Frame talks about how God’s omniscience means that doesn’t just know all things quantitively, but knows it omni-perspectivally. That is, he knows everything from every ‘angle’ too or put it another way, God doesn’t just know all the data, he knows all the possible ways the data can be interpreted by individuals and groups throughout history too.

For example, imagine a pyramid and you and I are standing at opposite corners. You can see faces A and D and I can see faces B and C. But from our viewpoints neither of us can see everything. You can explain your perspective to me and vice versa, but neither of us can see all five sides at the same time. Even if everyone in the world gathered in a circle around the pyramid some information would be hidden (eg. the fifth face, the bottom) and some perspectives would be missing. For example, how the pyramid looks from above.

But God, John Frame might argue, doesn’t just know everything there is to factually know about the pyramid - the sum of all five sides if you like. But also knows it from all perspectives, he knows how you and I ‘view’ the sides, but also how the pyramid looks from all angle individually and at the same time. He also knows what it looks like when coloured by or freed from personal perspectives. He knows how it will be viewed by every living thing throughout time, including the fly buzzing around the third brick from the bottom.

How does this relate to the OP? Personally, I think the self is more than what I do, choose, and experience. But even if the self was only the sum of my memories, God is more than capable of reconstructing me with my true-self in the new creation. He can do this because he knows not only what I did and choose to do (because he knows all things), but also how I remembered, felt, and experienced those events (because he knows all perspectives too, including my own).

If John Frame is correct and if I have done a good job of explaining his position, then, perhaps, The Cloud is a great way of thinking about God in this instance. If that is the case, then moments are never lost like tears in rain because God knows both where the tears fell but is also able to reconstruct the tear to exactly as it was before it merged with the puddle.

4 Likes

I specified Tomasello because there are various competing theories of the origins of spoken language. Mithen in “The Singing Neanderthals” tags it to grooming and gossip, and another whose name escapes me (Tattersall?) pins it down to the control of fire, which extended “daylight” hours and facilitated the need for storytelling/gossip. Two other developments had to precede these. The first is “intersubjectivity” (Hrdy)–which relates to empathy and theory of mind–and the second is Tomasello’s “intention-reading” and “shared frame of reference.” Logically, those two must come prior to gossip/grooming.

I enjoyed Frame’s explanation of how God views every event all perspectives. It also explains why we require the perspective of other people to gain a well-rounded understanding of any event.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. I believe a proper understanding of God’s omni-ness ought to lead to personal humility in the face of our limitedness… Though I also find that practice is harder than principle. -Nervous Laugh- :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

We should all look forward to the resurrection where all of our dross is purged with fire, the fires of Heaven, not Hell, and we are refined, made fit to be forged for eternity.

2 Likes

That’s very well put! It reminds me of this:

“Then the lion said — but I don’t know if it spoke — You will have to let me undress you. I was afraid of his claws, I can tell you, but I was pretty nearly desperate now. So I just lay flat down on my back to let him do it.

“The very first tear he made was so deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart. And when he began pulling the skin off, it hurt worse than anything I’ve ever felt. The only thing that made me able to bear it was jut the pleasure of feeling the stuff peel off. You know — if you’ve ever picked the scab of a sore place. It hurts like billy-oh but it is such fun to see it coming away.”

“I know exactly what you mean,” said Edmund.

“Well, he peeled the beastly stuff right off – just as I thought I’d done it myself the other three times, only they hadn’t hurt – and there it was lying on the grass, only ever so much thicker, and darker, and more knobbly-looking than the others had been. And there was I smooth and soft as a peeled switch and smaller than I had been. Then he caught hold of me – I didn’t like that much for I was very tender underneath now that I’d no skin on — and threw me into the water. It smarted like anything but only for a moment. After that it became perfectly delicious and as soon as I started swimming and splashing I found that all the pain had gone from my arm. And then I saw why. I’d turned into a boy again. . . .”

C S Lewis, “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader,” C.S. Lewis quotes | Peeling Dragon Skin (wordpress.com)

“The Great Divorce” is even better in detail about how God molds us to His goal–often in really uncomfortable, but healthy, ways.

3 Likes

That has me in tears of joy : )

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.