BioLogos Basics Video #7: How Evolution Works - Part 2 | The BioLogos Forum

“As I said, Bren, the theory predicts everything and nothing at the same time. Everything in generalities, but nothing in specifics. Stasis as well as change, conserving as well as directional selection, large or small populations, etc. as you say. After seeing the evidence, it predicts the evidence. Your sentence itself is something you take for granted, without realizing the implications. “The theory predicts the absence of fossils prior to emergence”… why? because they are absent prior to when we see them. Of course they are. If they are seen, then they are no longer absent, and the emergence is earlier… Well. But what you don’t realize is you cannot prove their absence (of the species) prior to its assumed emergence. You only see the absence of fossils. But you know that in other cases, absence of fossils after “emergence” does not prove the absence of the species. You know this by many species, and the coelacanth is only one obvious example. As a result, it would not be illogical for me to say that all species existed prior to their emergence in the fossil record. Nor can we tell how long they existed before their appearance in the fossil record. Not without inserting and forcing our paradigm into the evidence.” (JohnZ)

I’ll let the first paragraph go, since you are merely reiterating without addressing my point as to the completely different types of evidence that need to be considered when testing evolution itself. You’re continuing interest is in the wrong sets of evidence for the purposes being considered, so the outcome is hardly surprising; what is surprising is the conclusion this apparently allows you to come to.

For your second paragraph, you are right that it is difficult in practice to determine when a species “should” come into the fossil record. I was dealing with the theoretical point (it is in theory reasonable to say that fossils can’t show up in the record before the species could have arisen, but this terminus a quo would quite obviously need to be inferred from other grounds), and it was only in contrast to the inexplicable idea that evolution predicts when a species should go extinct. You seem to have missed that this logical contrast was the only point of the statement, but perhaps I shouldn’t have assumed that you would understand my sentence in this way, and anyway, you still have a legitimate question, worthy of a response. You are inventing a circular argument (based on surprisingly little evidence) because you suspected one, so I should clarify that there isn’t one. Evolution would not have a serious problem if bird-like dinosaurs showed up a few million years earlier in the fossil record (this would be further information, not a contradiction, since the only thing it could be thought to contradict is the absence of evidence for the same), but if, for example, a giraffe showed up in the Jurassic, this would be a direct contradiction to the known evidence (in combination with the theory), of when the mammals underwent serious adaptive radiation to produce the known families (of which the giraffe is the tip of a branch). The giraffe would be multiple steps out of the established sequence, apparently arising well before its own ancestors. So although the fossil record does not produce such contradictions (though it should a thousand times over if special creation was on point), it is only a useful test over greatly extended timeframes, and where there is clear and positive evidence to the contrary.

“Selection pressures are a very sound reason for evolution, and design is a very sound reason for special creation. Special creation has an answer for one observation (the similarities), but does not have anything that explains the particular pattern of differences and why they all happen to align with the same groups. That is a huge gap in explanatory power.(bren) Selection pressures are indeed a very sound reason for why certain species exist in certain environments. Obviously a whale is not going to do well on land, and an iguana will not do well beside the polar bears. However, the selection pressures do not provide a good reason for why a polar bear should become a lizard or vice versa.” (JohnZ)

I would welcome your arguments, less your assertions. You are not addressing the far more relevant point in my argument, which was clearly the only point worth discussing.

“A group is a group based on its similarities. But differences within the group are what allows a group to be a group that consists of similar but yet different entities by definition. The similarities define the group; the differences are what identify the group members. The fewer the similarities, the larger the grouping. The more varied the environment, the more likely that there will be more diverse groups and individuals.” (JohnZ)

Did not address the argument in any way.

“Design implies that animals can survive in their environment. Design implies that animals will continue to survive in their environments. Design implies that there will be diverse groups and individuals to occupy the various environments, but it does not imply that only one type is possible, or that what exists there is the only option. We know that when rabbits were introduced to Australia, they did very well. Their absence did not imply that they could not exist there. We know that weeds introduced to North America do well once they get there, even though they were absent. Thus a niche is not determined by what does not exist there.” (JohnZ)

So to sum up; design implies design. And the absence of evidence does not imply that something can’t happen or can’t work. I’ll agree to this without being sure of what it is meant to clarify.

“Soft tissues (after rehydration by the way) in dinosaur bones is again somewhat obviously not a prediction of evolutionary theory; it was an expectation based on previous findings or lack of findings. Depending on the conditions, the expected stability of organic materials can vary by many orders of magnitude. Obviously the extensive cross-linking caused by free radicals (from the released iron molecules that were associated with the heme compounds) is one such condition, as was the context that lead the bone preservation in the first place and the protective matrix of the bone itself. But this is beside the point; the point is that it is clearly not a prediction of the theory. (bren). Right. As I said, it did not have a prediction for finding red blood cells or dna in bones. Why? because the red blood cells and dna should have deteriorated, by all normal expectations of deterioration. To say that it can survive by “many” orders of magnitude, is generally not true, but could be true only under certain known conditions such as extremely low temperature, but even then, it cannot survive the periods suggested, not for 60 million years. Under the assumed conditions, it certainly would not survive that long. So it didn’t. Not that long. That is what the evidence shows. (JohnZ)”

Some errors in the paragraph about soft tissues, so just a suggestion that you might want to refresh the memory on what was actually found and what the current scientific view on the question happens to be. That said, it completely misses the point of my argument, so I will just refer back to my original comments.

Dcscccc,

It’s flavor of the month to not address my actual arguments it seems, so I refer you back to our earlier discussion (and I also refer you back to my comment that I am not interested in opening new arguments when they seem designed to deflect from old arguments). That said, and the reason I am responding; I am curious about your interesting tally of unique traits. I often like to see where such things come from and I would appreciate the reference, just for my information. Please don’t bother if it is some creation research journal or something, but I would be curious if it is a peer reviewed source and I’d like to see what you are referring to (if only to satisfy myself that I am not ignoring any true enigmas, though the enigma in question may not be quite what you think it is). Thanks in advance.

Evolution can be challenged not tested on numerous grounds: genetic, fossil record, radio active dating, other types of dating methods. But not only can it be challenged by contradictory evidence, it can also be challenged as to whether it really means anything substantial, and whether alternative explanations are possible. It can also be challenged on the basis of assumptions, such as supposed age of fossils.

If someone says that he hypothesizes a particular find of pachyrhinosaurus fossils to be 10,000 years old, the theory responds that they could not be that young, because that would not fit the theory. If a particular find has no defining datable rock layers that encapsulate the sediments, then that type of rock dating cannot be used. But rather than saying we have no idea how old the fossils are, the theory demands millions of years (say 40 Million). And instead of looking at the evidence of dna, blood cells, collagen in the fossils as evidence of a much younger time, the paradigm demands that an anomaly for unusual (impossible) preservation of organic tissue must have occurred.

Your assertions about “the wrong kinds of evidence” is merely an assertion which reiterates your point without demonstrating why, or without demonstrating even what you mean. This is not totally surprising, but it seems you do not recognize it.

you are right that it is difficult in practice to determine when a species “should” come into the fossil record. (Bren)

I would maintain it is difficult to determine when a species existed, not when it “should” come into the fossil record. It should come in whenever it actually does. But its absence in fossil form does not mean absence in existence in that place or time. So I may have overstated “that evolution predicts when a species should go extinct…”. To be more clear, evolution did not predict when it should go extinct, but rather made the conclusion that it had gone extinct, because it was absent from the fossil record. Yet, it was not extinct. Therefore, if not proven extinct after it appeared, it cannot by the same lack of evidence be proven absent before it appeared.

" Evolution would not have a problem if bird-like dinos showed up a few mill yrs earlier…(Bren)"

Evolution is pretty plastic. Which means it is very difficult to actually test. Even if one anomalous thread was demonstrated, many believers would maintain the theory as a whole. A new invisible common ancestor would probably be invoked, along with combinations of stasis and divergence.

So yes, appearance of design does imply design. The previous discussion a number of posts back was dealing with organisms of necessity occupying a specific niche, and being “evolved” to fill that unique niche. ie. comparison of coyotes and marsupials. I merely pointed out that this is not consequential reasoning, due to the obvious exceptions that we have seen in our recent human history, with regard to rabbits in Australia, horses in North America, kangaroo fossils in Europe, (and no kangaroo fossils in Austrailia), certain European thistles imported to North America. A particular niche does not demand a particular evolution nor a particular species development. It only permits it. More than one similar animal or plant species can occupy this niche. So arguing that a particular species developed (evolved) in a particular manner in order to fill a niche, is simply not meaningful. It could as likely have evolved in a different manner to fill the same niche. (If evolution was the cause.) So evolution provides no meaningful context for the species.

JohnZ

“Evolution can be challenged not tested on numerous grounds: genetic, fossil record, radio active dating, other types of dating methods. But not only can it be challenged by contradictory evidence, it can also be challenged as to whether it really means anything substantial, and whether alternative explanations are possible. It can also be challenged on the basis of assumptions, such as supposed age of fossils.
If someone says that he hypothesizes a particular find of pachyrhinosaurus fossils to be 10,000 years old, the theory responds that they could not be that young, because that would not fit the theory. If a particular find has no defining datable rock layers that encapsulate the sediments, then that type of rock dating cannot be used. But rather than saying we have no idea how old the fossils are, the theory demands millions of years (say 40 Million). And instead of looking at the evidence of dna, blood cells, collagen in the fossils as evidence of a much younger time, the paradigm demands that an anomaly for unusual (impossible) preservation of organic tissue must have occurred. Your assertions about “the wrong kinds of evidence” is merely an assertion which reiterates your point without demonstrating why, or without demonstrating even what you mean. This is not totally surprising, but it seems you do not recognize it. “

I’m not sure what’s what here; the 10,000 year old dino fossil seems to be a hypothetical, so I don’t see the point (was it meant to describe an actual finding?), nor do I see how this relates to my arguments. The dating of fossils without datable rock lays is either true or not. If not, it is irrelevant, if so, then I would obviously want to know what they used (interpolation between datable rock layers above and below or was it just a suggestion based on datable findings from within the same layer in the geologic column?) and what degree of confidence they invested in the number. I would certainly need to know this before assuming with you that they are just jokers. Again, what was the point? Was it just to infer that evolutionists are charlatans? It seems off topic as such. Your discussion of soft tissues ignores the suggestions and investigations of scientists on the subject, mistakes what was actually found (please look into this) and uses words like “impossible” without any actual justification, while not addressing the fact that nothing in this topic derives from any actual inference of evolutionary theory. Your mention of assumptions that can be challenged is entirely legitimate, though it seems to me that anything you think must be an assumption probably started its life as a hypothesis and continued as a tested conclusion well before it became an assumption. Who knows though, maybe there is an assumption underlying the whole thing that somehow managed to avoid this obvious process, but I haven’t heard of it, and you’d think that all them smart folks in the universities would get around to noticing and questioning it;-)

Furthermore, how can my statement about the wrong kinds of evidence be merely an assertion, when I have both listed the types of evidence actually needed and have explained in detail why each type of evidence you are using is not fit for the purpose? That is precisely the opposite of “just asserting it” so far as I can tell, so this one sort of bewilders me. This involved “demonstrating why” in detail. As for “without even demonstrating even what I mean”, I’m not sure even what to say to this; if you didn’t follow my reasoning on any of the discussed subjects, then please do as I have been doing, and just say you didn’t understand my point, just seems a more reasonable approach; I’m fully willing to admit that some of my arguments could be better worded, but I won’t know where I make no sense unless you tell me!

“To be more clear, evolution did not predict when it should go extinct, but rather made the conclusion that it had gone extinct, because it was absent from the fossil record. Yet, it was not extinct. Therefore, if not proven extinct after it appeared, it cannot by the same lack of evidence be proven absent before it appeared.“

Your first sentence seems to concede that evolution didn’t predict it (I appreciate your candor) and then it says; ah, but it “concluded” instead, and that based on absence of evidence. I must assume that “a conclusion” is some sort of softer form of scientific activity than a prediction in your view, but either way, I can’t follow your argument, which seems to depend on a terminology that I can’t follow either. As for lack of evidence not being able to “prove” that it wasn’t there earlier, this was the exact point that I was addressing (it needs to be based on positive evidence not lack of evidence), so I would suggest you reread my comments and let me know where you had trouble making sense of it.

“Evolution is pretty plastic. Which means it is very difficult to actually test. Even if one anomalous thread was demonstrated, many believers would maintain the theory as a whole. A new invisible common ancestor would probably be invoked, along with combinations of stasis and divergence.”

All of that based on the fact that scientist hold to a margin of error when investigating something that happened millions of years ago? The ancestors of a new branch were often in the fossil record for quite some time, so new evidence pushing back the emergence of a new species doesn’t seem like quite the scandal you describe. The progress of evolution has indeed been plastic, and would have been largely unpredictable before the fact. I refer you once again to inappropriate versus appropriate tests for evolution. You remain immovably focused on the inappropriate tests but I can strongly recommend the fascinating tests to which the theory has actually been submitted.

“So yes, appearance of design does imply design. The previous discussion a number of posts back was dealing with organisms of necessity occupying a specific niche, and being “evolved” to fill that unique niche. ie. comparison of coyotes and marsupials. I merely pointed out that this is not consequential reasoning, due to the obvious exceptions that we have seen in our recent human history, with regard to rabbits in Australia, horses in North America, kangaroo fossils in Europe, (and no kangaroo fossils in Austrailia), certain European thistles imported to North America. A particular niche does not demand a particular evolution nor a particular species development. It only permits it. More than one similar animal or plant species can occupy this niche. So arguing that a particular species developed (evolved) in a particular manner in order to fill a niche, is simply not meaningful. It could as likely have evolved in a different manner to fill the same niche. (If evolution was the cause.) So evolution provides no meaningful context for the species.”

I am beginning to understand that you are responding to an argument that I never made, and this seems to be why I couldn’t make heads or tails (unlike evolution;-) of it. I think you must have completely misunderstood the argument I did make, or at least this seems to be the case. Please reread it and let me know if it continues to be obscure.

JohnZ, we are reaching the point where the number of misunderstandings and the degree of talking past each other is beginning to outweigh the degree of usefulness of the discussion. I am beginning to learn to recognize where the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I’m all for chasing a discussion down the rabbit hole, but this one is more a comedy of misunderstandings than a useful debate. That said, I generally appreciate your tone and the clarity of your discussion. Let me know if you would like to break it off for the time being.

hi bren. ok, but before of this- if its a real claim back up by the evidence- does it disprove the evolution theory because it disprove the prediction?

you also claim that

" but if, for example, a giraffe showed up in the Jurassic, this would be a direct contradiction to the known evidence (in combination with the theory),"-

so this kind of evidence will disprove the evolution theory?

Hi Dcscccc,

I would suggest you look back over the previous comments, as I think they may answer your questions. Did you have that reference for me? I’m still curious about it. Thanks.

ok bren. here is the article:

" What’s more, the genetic similarities likely include many ancient DNA traits that are shared across a much broader group of animals.

By contrast, humans share at least 28 unique physical characteristics with orangutans but only 2 with chimps and 7 with gorillas, the authors say.

The finding, which has the potential to spark a radical rethink of human origins, is being met with caution. "

against the evolution prediction. now- about the fossils: if we will find a human like fossil in a 100 my rock. does it disprove evolution? not realy. we can solve this by convergent evolution or by the claim that this fossil somehow get to the wrong rock layer and so on. but the evolution will not disprove.

The dating of fossils without datable rock lays is either true or not. If not, it is irrelevant, if so, then I would obviously want to know what they used (interpolation between datable rock layers above and below or was it just a suggestion based on datable findings from within the same layer in the geologic column?) and what degree of confidence they invested in the number.

Bren, I am relating results of a conversation made a few years ago. I asked how he knew these fossils were 40 mill yrs old. (I remember him saying 40 my; but perhaps he said 60 my… The exact age is not the point, but rather, how is the age determined for a particular location.) He said it is complicated and that a paleontologist had correlated to other layers in other places, and that gave the age. My point is that I did not see any datable non-sedimentary rock in the locale at all. Just as we have found various species of living fossils, where present day species are similar or identical to the fossil, even though absent in the fossil record for a long period of time, so I speculate that fossils are incorrectly assigned only to certain ages, and could presumably be in existence at any time since their first appearance in the record. For that reason, fossils cannot be used to date rocks and layers definitively. This would be a better explanation for why we still find dna and blood cells in dinosaur bones… because they are not as old as thought to be.

Having just seen the trailer for Achilles Heels, Sarfati says that if the entire earth was made up of C14, then none of it should remain (or be detectable) after a million yrs. Yet it is often found in rocks and materials that are said to be millions or hundreds of millions of years old. And no one is suggesting the whole earth was ever made up of nothing but C14. I used to think that the dating techniques for age of rocks, earth, universe, were insurmountable and undoubtable; I no longer think so.

I think I do understand your point about similarities of non-functional genetic differences indicating a type of common ancestry. Please correct me if this is not your point. My point is that there is a leap of faith when these non-functional differences do not exist, to suggest from this that this indicates a mutational point rather than a creational point of difference. Furthermore, the evidence seems to suggest that we simply do not have enough knowledge in any case to be firm about whether these sequences are non-functional or not, since discovery of functions has been a progressive process. This would imply to me that we are jumping the gun in terms of drawing these types of conclusions.

I must assume that “a conclusion” is some sort of softer form of scientific activity than a prediction in your view, but either way, I can’t follow your argument, which seems to depend on a terminology that I can’t follow either

You are perhaps right that a prediction is similar to a conclusion… but in a scientific article, often a prediction is a hypothesis, while a conclusion is drawn from the evidence (and as you say, conclusions ought to be drawn from positive evidence, not from lack of evidence.) Whatever you want to call it, evolution assumed the coelacanth was extinct, because the fish looked “old”, unique, different, was absent in many recent layers of sediment, and was unknown to the scientists who studied the fossil. Then, lo and behold, it was discovered that fishermen in Asia were still catching these fish on a regular basis. This is not just an error of data. This is not just an error of facts or evidence. This is an error of reasoning. This is an error of presuming. The error is based on the philosophy of evolutionary theory, and based on the error of thinking that absence in the fossil record likely means absence of the species. It means no such thing. This is a teachable moment, but I’m not sure evolutionists really want to learn this very much.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.