Biologos and Diversity

Black people are interested in a great variety of things. February was Black History Month, when a lot of Black accomplishments and other stuff get highlighted. (And March is Women’s History Month)

I’m sure Blacks don’t trust white Evangelicals and for good reason. Furthermore, there is nothing on this site that suggests it’s friendly to Black people.

“Furthermore, there is nothing on this site that suggests it’s friendly to Black people.”

Why do you say that? It appears to me that the editors go out of their way to invite diverse bloggers, and most subjects are universal in the science faith dialogue. Admittedly, on the forum opinions are expressed that are ethnocentric, but it is hard to control that. What would you suggest be done differently?

2 Likes

Yes, I know that. I was talking about how economic privilege can influence the kind of career someone might choose to pursue above others.

2 Likes

I am in agreement with many here. The truth is, most POC communities have bigger fish to fry in their theology and their communities than whether Adam was a real person, or what have you.

We do not doubt that there aren’t people in the scientific fields (Like many that we have highlighted, in including Drs. Lynette Strickland and first Black evolutionary biologist, Joseph Graves), and actively seek them out to be a part of our network.

However, the particular field of “science and faith” is still fairly narrow. If anyone has suggestions for contributors, they are more than welcome. We always like to have more people on our radar. But arguably we are pretty well familiarized with I’d say about 90% of the scholarly voices in the BioLogos tent when it comes to origins and reconciling science and faith.

4 Likes

And the science part is always the least difficult part to find out about. It’s always then tricky to see if someone is both a Christian, and falls under the EC perspective. It’s a lot of boxes to check even before approaching the race, gender, nationality, ability questions.

If anyone has better methods than what we currently have to find out if a scientist is an EC (google and word of mouth), feel free to enlighten us.

1 Like

I think in general there is a giant disconnect between people and science. Most people in my experience don’t even read books. I know dozens and dozens of people from family and acquaintances that have not read a single book in ofer a decade. The most science they get is clickbait articles and short Facebook posts with half truths. Maybe sometimes they watch something like animal planet or something about space. Then in my experience atheists seem to be slightly more involved with it than religious people. But even then the majority of atheists I’ve randomly met, and agnostics, are not actually very familiar with science. They have like a 9th grade scientific understanding.

Then you have to consider that African Americans make up such a small portion of Americans. You’re simply more likely in every way to run across white people in science than others in America. BioLogos seems to predominantly have Americans actively responding. I don’t think anyone can present a reasonable argument for BIoLogos encouraging just white men, or just white people.

But maybe nonetheless in the future when their is a black , or POC, guest they can contact and get some of their friends more involved that they know. Or maybe there are some colleges in predominantly black areas that can be reached out to. There is almost always more that can be done, but that does not mean there is nothing being done. You can’t think of a thousand ways. You begin with a few and move on towards more and more. I believe that the best approach is a natural approach, and not just a “token” approach.

Hi Jon (@Johannes_de_Silentio). We met a couple of times and talked back when Cornerstone was still a thing (I was one of the tent speakers for the last couple of years on topics in science and religion). Those were the days!

Your question is an entirely fair one, and I think many of the answers to you have been pretty fair. We know we can’t reduce diversity to quotas of podcast guests or blog authors or speakers. But we also know that having a diverse set of guests, authors, and speakers is better than not!

I just recorded an interview for another podcast episode that will come out in a couple of weeks. It was with two editors of a new book on the doctrine of creation and science, which looks at 10 Modern theologians and how they understood the doctrine. I noted rather uncomfortably that all ten of those theologians were white men, and that nine of the ten authors writing about those theologians were white men, that the two editors are white men, and that the guy interviewing them is a white man. Their response was some of the same as what you’ve heard here: we’re trying, look at these other venues, diversity in this field is really tough, etc.

My response there is what I take to be the fundamental problem: we’re trying to attract diverse voices to answer questions that have been set by the dominant white male demographic. Until the majority lays down their mantel of leadership so other kinds of people can ask the questions and set the agenda, there will be no true diversity.

I would love to be argued out of that position and believe that we really can become a diverse organization while I get to keep my fancy position. But I don’t believe that right now. I’m also willing to explore putting my money where my mouth is on that–which admittedly is something less than resigning immediately.

4 Likes

I hope you’re not deprecating yourself, Jim, as some sort of fly in the “diversity ointment” such as it is here, merely over your skin color (says one white male to another). Yes - I know and resonate with the call for greater diversity, both in ethnic origins, skin color, and so many other ways besides. But can I also suggest that diversity is also celebrated and potentially present (or not!) in the sorts of values we bring to the table too! I’ve heard and read from those who don’t look or think like I do that they value allies, and that if people are part of any privileged group, then by all means - use your privilege for good! Because there are so many right now who are hell-bent (quite literally!) on doing the exact opposite. All I’m saying is that diversity is a bigger thing than what you look like (though it has certainly included that in this nation’s history!) And recognition of the value of diversity is itself a valuable thing in the heart of anyone around the table; with an also-existing need for critical appraisal of the many things that might wish to go about dressed in “diversity garb”.

1 Like

Thanks @Mervin_Bitikofer. I’m not at all saying diversity is only about skin color. But my skin color and my gender have made me part of a privileged class. That class has a perspective on things. And my point is that by allowing that perspective to be the dominant one (or the only one!), we miss out on a lot. Perhaps (still not being definitive here), the best way to be an ally is to step aside.

Maybe. Are there people of minority groups banging down your door wanting your job?

But your point is well-taken. Yeah - privileged groups do tend to predictably carry their signature opinions. … minimization of or even complete denial of their present privileged status being a ready case-in-point.

Must the person share your views to the letter?

Not necessarily, but we find generally that not many wish to be associated with us if they have other views…

1 Like

Out of curiosity, is there any POC christian organizations that also accept the science of evolution? What’s the top science colleges in africa? Maybe someone could message them and talk to the different professors or too students and see if any of them have similar views. I’m sure there are thousands out there.

One that one thread somewhere on another post I shared that MLK jr was someone who accepted evolution. I did not see, nor do I hear, to much bashing from the black community over it. Maybe some of the people who was marching with him and heavily involved with him that are still around as civil rights activists are also accepting of evolution.

Normally there are a lot of black only groups on Facebook. Or predominantly black groups. I know for sure I’ve seen Black Hikers of America, Black Gardeners, and Black Vegans group. I tried to find a Black this and that science group and had no luck. Every single black Christian that I know and somewhat regularly ( as in at least 4 times a month ) talk with on the phone or messenger are creationist with most of those old earth creationist.

I am going through the Jude 3 podcast series that’s ran by black people and focused on black people. If one of those episodes end up with someone who is EC I’ll definitely try to reach out and find out. Then pass that info along to y’all or vice versa.

1 Like

A simple start would be to acknowledge MLK day, and Black History Month, and Juneteenth.

Perhaps your librarian could help you. Or you could look at all the HBCUs out there (e.g. Spellman, Howard, etc.) and if there is a religious studies department, contact Black professors of the Old Testament.

A simple start for you would be to read BioLogos social media, so you know what the organization actually does already.

https://twitter.com/BioLogosOrg/status/1351148608507293708

https://twitter.com/BioLogosOrg/status/1229835507665981446

2 Likes

I think it’s a good idea but what about this also.

Why is there not a Black Evolutionary Creationist podcast or something similar out there? Ive spent a good two hours today trying to find a science endorsing African or African American and had next to no luck. But I still hope to hear from a handful more. I think it’s a two way street. Someone on both ends needs to be actively displaying their qualifications and reaching out.

Take horror. I’m a huge horror fan. I can type in black horror fiction and get tons of links. There is a entire podcast dedicated to just horror stories by black authors across the world. “ Nightlight “ and there is “ The Black Tapes “ that is predominantly black women’s horror tales. You can look at work by Robin R. Means Coleman and her films about black horror such as “Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror” and of corse see films by people like Jordan Peele and I can go to horror conventions such as Day of the Dead, Spooky Empire and Midsummer Scream and visit black panels and so on.

It seems a bit more difficult to just find African Americans, or black people from any nation, being as open about EC. You can find plenty of black theologians, and black scientists but it’s a lot more time consuming to find EC African American.

I think if it’s a mutual seeking on both parts, then it works easier.

I also wonder this. You’re making a handful of suggestions about how to seek them out. But it seems like you’re trying to attack as your main drive. If you listed several names, or have the impression that you were aware of the various ways BL has reached out I would not have thought much about it. But part of me feels like there is a chance that maybe you also don’t know more than a few yourself. If that’s the case, then it would seem like a bit of a high horse for no reason.

For pete’s sake I was suggesting ways to find them other than “google or word of mouth.” I thought Hillary wanted suggestions on finding people. I fail to see why that would be a high horse.