Biological Information and Intelligent Design: Signature in the Ribosome

Hi Lynn
Again, when you come up with a sequence and it successfully folds you may have much more freedom of sequence if your requirement is simply to fold.

If your requirement is to bind ATP then this becomes more difficult but within the resources of evolution.

If your requirement is to bind with an existing protein then the requirement starts to go beyond the resources of evolution (populations and time) There currently are several experiments that explore this.

Hi George
The argument is that specific binding requires specific sequences. The more specific the sequence, the more unlikely that a stochastic search can find it.

@Billcoleā€¦ which is why some BioLogos supporters, no doubt, may consider God a logical requirement to Evolutionary progress.

1 Like

Is the ā€œrequirementā€ you keep talking about one to bind with a specific protein in the body, or will any protein in the body do? This is an important question.

[quote=ā€œBillcole, post:129, topic:5974ā€]
Hi Ben
This is fundamental to our disagreement is contrary to the vast biochemical evidence.[/quote]
Really? Yet you havenā€™t offered a speck of evidence to support your claim!!!

What have you observed, Bill? Iā€™m still waiting for you to support your claim about the evidence:

So, show me the data. I took a break from revising the paper weā€™ve submitted to the Journal of Biological Chemistry (loaded with binding assays, btw) and I canā€™t find anything to support your claim.

Itā€™s relative affinity that matters, Bill. Thereā€™s no real black/white. Itā€™s the sort of complexity we expect from evolution.

First, not all are in binding sites. Second, the ones that are change relative affinities, not off/on. And itā€™s ā€œimplicated,ā€ not ā€œimplied.ā€

Itā€™s virtually all relative, not absolute.

[quote]Ask yourself honestly, are you making this claim because without it stochastic evolution is highly unlikely?
[/quote]Iā€™m making my claim because it reflects reality.

Honestly, Bill, why are you making direct claims about the evidence, then trying to shift the burden of support when challenged?

Do you realize that you have inadvertently tested a hypothesis about how biochemistry should work if it were intelligently designed?

Please show me the binding assays that support your claim, Bill.

2 Likes

Yet your immune system does precisely that every day.

And, btw, the high-affinity binding proteins that bind specific sequences are definitely NOT required to have specific sequences themselves.

Have you bothered to look at the evidence?

ā€¦but I suspect that wonā€™t prevent him from continuing to use itā€¦

The problem here is that ā€œsufficient code occupying a local optimumā€ could mean a lot of things. No one really knows what is sufficient. It could be that our rarefied, canonical, code iis sufficient, but nothing less. What I can say is that evolving something like our code requires traversing an enormous distannce in the design space, passinng through an enormous nnumber of codes, in a rugged fitness landscape full of local minima. Not going to happen.

@Cornelius_Hunter

And yet we have millions of species in existence on Earth today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/87-million-species-exist-on-earth-study-estimates/2011/08/22/gIQAE7aZZJ_story.html

Were all of them saved by Noah, less than 4000 years ago? Or did he only save relatively Fewer Kinds?

If the latter, then the explosion of these kinds into multiple different species had to have been a virtual speedway of evolution within categories of kinds ā€¦

Or God created all these individual species after the Ark landed on dry ground.

Which do you think makes the most sense. Frankly, I think the Third option makes the most sense ā€“ that all these millions of forms took millions of years to slowly develop.

George Brooks

Well as I said, I think design is a better explanation (i.e., ID), but beyond that, neither general or special revelation give us all the details, so it is speculation.

@Cornelius_Hunter

You have side-stepped the very heart of the issue ā€¦ how long it took to generate those multiple species!

Geology gives us plenty of detailsā€¦ and the Bible gives us plenty of alternative details regarding Chronology.

How long ago do you think Noahā€™s ark floated on the Earthā€™s waters?

Hi George
These are interesting questions.

We know that common descent occurs but if the design hypothesis is true, what can we attribute to design intervention and what to simple descent with modification. How would we perform an experiment to determine this? My guess is when we see new proteins that bind with other proteins to perform a specific new function then the likely hood is that some type of design intervention occurred. In the paper Joshua cited on the universal common descent thread that shows significant alternative splicing code differences between chimps and man, I think it is a reasonable hypothesis that some type of design intervention was required to generate these alternative splicing codes.

@Billcoleā€¦

When a jet pilot fixes on a point in front of him too muchā€¦ his plane collides and is destroyed.

Your ā€œguessā€ at what is Design and is not is completely arbitrary and frankly, irrelevant.

If you cannot explain where all the millions of species came from ā€¦ then your ā€œguesstimate hypothesisā€ is a failure.

Just trying to save you some timeā€¦

George

How do you know the guesstimate hypothesis is a failure? Do you consider universal common descent a failed hypothesis?

[quote=ā€œBillcole, post:141, topic:5974ā€]
We know that common descent occurs but if the design hypothesis is true, what can we attribute to design intervention and what to simple descent with modification. How would we perform an experiment to determine this?[/quote]
We look at inconsequential differences.

[quote]My guess is when we see new proteins that bind with other proteins to perform a specific new function then the likely hood is that some type of design intervention occurred.
[/quote]So every time your body makes a new antibody (a new protein that binds with other proteins to perform a specific function), a design intervention occurred?

You might want to note that there are very few new functions involved in the sort of evolution you are trying to argue against.

@Billcole

Any hypothesis that doesnā€™t explain where millions of species comes from in 5000 years is a failure.

I do not consider Universal Common Descent a failure because Old Earth scenarios provide enough time for just about anything to happen.

This is where we disagree. The age of the earth is very small compared to trying to explain a stochastic search that can create significant new genetic information. By claiming this it is clear that you havenā€™t carefully looked at the opposing arguments. You are arbitrarily trying to excuse universal common descent hypothesis to non detail explanations yet holding the design hypothesis to a different more detailed standard.

They are both inference arguments that lack detailed testing of their claims.

I donā€™t claim that speciation cannot occur. My claim that it is very unlikely that it explains all lifeā€™s diversity from a single origin.

The occurrence of millions of species from hundreds over 5000 years by a stochastic process is an extraordinary claim.

@Billcole

If you can totally ignore how millions of species arrived on the earth between the ark and today ā€¦
then I can totally ignore what you think is a problem, because I donā€™t think itā€™s a problem if you are assuming millions of years to work with.

Right, @Billcole, but you seem oblivious to the possibility that some BioLogos supporters think God took care of that ā€¦ even though this is EXACTLY your initial premise: God took care of that !