Bioethics from a Christian perspective?

You might be able to use some of this!

If you email integrate@ I’m sure we can hook you up.

2 Likes

The Belmont Report is one of the foundational texts that helped define bioethics as it relates to human subjects.

That report is part of my annual bioethics training, along with other institutional guidelines.

1 Like

Relating back the Belmont Report in my post above, one of the major problems with genetic engineering in humans is consent. You not only lack the consent of the person whose genome you are going to be altering, but also all of their offspring. We can also consider the other two prongs of the Belmont report: Beneficence and justice. Do the harms outweigh the benefits?

If we are talking about mutations related to severe disease, then I think there can be a good argument supporting genetic engineering in humans. If the genetic change results in a known naturally occurring sequence then harm is limited while benefits are high. The other issue at the moment is the technology itself which can’t guarantee that only specific changes will occur. Off-target changes are still a real potential problem with CRISPR/Cas9 modifications, and was a serious problem with earlier viral based vectors.

Ultimately, this is an issue that needs broad support across society and cultures. Science can only tell us what we can do, not what we should do.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.